Sign in to follow this  

I thought she deserved a vehicle of her own, but I couldn't really think of many vehicles that'd be useful for a spy, so I decided to go for the classics and build a mini-mecha.

24841151660_b1e99ea120.jpg

To access the mecha's interior, the hood folds up and the chest folds down.

25043530681_3c582fa27c.jpg

Since her Ultimate's main power is beetle bomb, I gave her a little pet beetle. It could be a plushie, but that'd make the launcher completely inexplicable, rather than merely mostly inexplicable. Sadly, I couldn't figure out a way to give it three pairs of legs rather than two. Thoughts?

25043530701_0047882fa8.jpg

The red light inside the hood is supposed to represent some kind of heat ray device. The tr. red tiles are a stand-in for a Nexo Power shield inlay. When I build it in real life, I'm planning to replace the assembly connecting that little grappling hook to the rest of the mech with a stud launcher.

24509956033_9936bd988b.jpg

Gallery.

Comments and criticism appreciated!

Edited by DraikNova

That was intentional. I tried to make it look pretty much like a giant minifigure, only with more posability.

That was intentional. I tried to make it look pretty much like a giant minifigure, only with more posability.

So, no updates to it... ?

It looks kinda incomplete. There are too many inner workings and bricks exposed as of now.

Where? If I tried to cover up the joints, which I tried at one point in the design, it'd restrict the motion to about five degrees in either direction. Maybe I could add knee coverings, since the legs don't need to move forwards at that point, but I'd have to only cover up the outside, since a small bit of inwards motion in the knees assists balance.

Where? If I tried to cover up the joints, which I tried at one point in the design, it'd restrict the motion to about five degrees in either direction. Maybe I could add knee coverings, since the legs don't need to move forwards at that point, but I'd have to only cover up the outside, since a small bit of inwards motion in the knees assists balance.

Yeah. Generally tidying it up is what I mean.

Because (Imo), this isn't the best it can be. It also looks too boxy, and not in the minifigure way.

Edited by gamejutzu

Okay, I'm working on making a version of this that reflects her Ultimate form, but with a little more of a beetle-like appearance to match her main nexo power in said set. Turns out it's really difficult to make elytra in LEGO form, although bat wings and beetle wings are, in fact, remarkably similar looking.

It reminds me of Cherno Alpha from Pacific Rim a bit, which as a big fan of the film is never a bad thing. It is a bit bulky but it doesn't look bad! My issue is it's too wide and flat. You should fatten it a little bit, just a tinge.

Update: I've now made a version based on Lavaria's ultimate. It includes beetle wings with proper elytra (wings modified into a protective shell for the functional wings), storage for various pieces of gear (including the most groan-worthy pun I've made so far, the Scythe of pure Weevil) and it can easily be exchanged with the basic version, with the wings being attached quite simply to the torso and the torso simply clipping on to the rest of the body via the leg joints. Here are two pictures of it facing off against Macy's mech:

29087622785_133f0e1e3c.jpg

29010852801_becd30cf8b_o.png

And one showing the elytra a little better. Sorry that I couldn't get any pictures of it with the elyra folded open, they're a real pain to work with in LDD.

29054867046_eaa836d399_z.jpg

Hope you guys like this new version.

This is quite the change compared to the first version. I will admit, I can't get a good look at it, and i'm not too familiar with Lavaria's ultimate. But it does look like a tons of work was put into it, so good job. Hope you like it.

This is quite the change compared to the first version. I will admit, I can't get a good look at it, and i'm not too familiar with Lavaria's ultimate. But it does look like a tons of work was put into it, so good job. Hope you like it.

Sorry, here are some more, clearer images:

28517363124_6deae50803_o.png

28517363884_35b45f6242_o.png

28851940830_a5cbef7189_o.png

As for Lavaria's ultimate, she has LEGO's standard solution for making multi-legged minifigs plus a bracket supporting wings, with the power "beetle bomb" indicating what this is supposed to represent.

tn_70335_alt2_jpg.jpg

Sorry, here are some more, clearer images:

Ohh. I see what you mean by it resembling her ultimate. It's literally Ultimate Lavaria, and the things on her beck do look like wings.

As for Lavaria's ultimate, she has LEGO's standard solution for making multi-legged minifigs plus a bracket supporting wings, with the power "beetle bomb" indicating what this is supposed to represent.

Yeah, I remember now. It was just hard to see. I'll guess that the wings were interesting to make.

Also, what is the little gun on the mecha's shoulder? Is it supposed to resemble a concentrated beam, or is it just your usual stud bullets?

Yeah, I remember now. It was just hard to see. I'll guess that the wings were interesting to make.

Also, what is the little gun on the mecha's shoulder? Is it supposed to resemble a concentrated beam, or is it just your usual stud bullets?

The little gun is being held by a beetle grub. I figured, if Lavaria likes beetles enough to have beetle magic and now a beetle mech, she probably would like a pet beetle as well. I couldn't really do a very good job approximating a beetle grub at this scale, though.

29117237376_c993ae638e.jpg

vs

beetle-004resize.jpg

Edited by DraikNova

The little gun is being held by a beetle grub. I figured, if Lavaria likes beetles enough to have beetle magic and now a beetle mech, she probably would like a pet beetle as well. I couldn't really do a very good job approximating a beetle grub at this scale, though.

I could see how that looks like a bug. But what's the transparent brick?

I could see how that looks like a bug. But what's the transparent brick?

That's supposed to represent the slightly translucent abdomen that beetle grubs have.

That's supposed to represent the slightly translucent abdomen that beetle grubs have.

Oh, I kind of forgot that. I guess I should have looked more closely.