Hello,

I have discovered that it would be great if TLG had a 2L bar/hose. the 3L bar/wand is great and the 4L light-sword is also great but a 2L bar would be amazing!

What are people currently doing when they find themselves in need of a 2L bar? I have seen some that look like a 3mm hose that is 2L used as a foot rung on rolling stock with 2 droid arms. Like on this beautiful boxcar built by Cale Leiphart. https://www.flickr.c...mpoweredbricks/

8407510168_3402490e63_c.jpg

Are you guys (purists close your eyes) cutting a 3mm hose from TLG or do you get a cheaper one from a hardware store and cut that to size? Just curious to know what people are doing.

Thanks!

I don't know the answer; but cutting hoses is actually a purist method: it was done in the Architecture Series: Space Needle!

I cut 3mm flex hose to size. They are easier to cut with an X-Acto knife than a 4L bar in half. I would use up my LEGO ones before I resort to hardware store ones. Since the LEGO word is not printed on flex hose, it will be hard to tell the difference if the colors are close.

Purist or not make sure you don't order 3mm hose, I believe it's 1/8" (3.17500 mm). Also note the polyurethane tubing I bought is a bit rubbery to the touch which makes it a bit too sticky when sliding elements along it. And it is not as stiff as LEGO tubing. I think Nylon is the right material. Has any one else had better material matching luck?

Steve

Either Nylon or Polyethylene seem most likely. And Steve is right, you want Ø1/8". 3.2mm is the plate thickness for Lego (and subsequently all rods), so 1/8" tubing is almost a perfect match. I'd suggest starting with this.

Polyethylene hose/tube is the better choice !!

Nylon is a generally harder material and PUR will be too soft and more rubber-like. So, I'd avoid those two group of materials.

I use this for most tube applications: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJGV9&P=7

Same outer diameter.

The only drawback is that it's a little stiffer and a little narrower inner diameter, so if you need to jam a minifig hand in the end you can't and if you do any complex bending or shaping, you need to reinforce the shape with brass tube or piano wire.

I don't know the answer; but cutting hoses is actually a purist method: it was done in the Architecture Series: Space Needle!

Thanks!! I'm releaved to hear that cutting hoses is purist approved!

Either Nylon or Polyethylene seem most likely. And Steve is right, you want Ø1/8". 3.2mm is the plate thickness for Lego (and subsequently all rods), so 1/8" tubing is almost a perfect match. I'd suggest starting with this.

Excellent! Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I'm sure I can cut some cost and save some headache on Bricklink by picking up some tubing in bulk and just cutting the sizes I need.

I use only official Lego 3mm hose, but I will cut it to any length. It is generally considered to be a purist technique, but there is some debate on the subject. Some people think it purist only if cut at a 90° angle, or cut only to an exact stud length. Ultimately it's up to you to draw the line. My personal view is to avoid cutting the tube lengthwise as much as possible (angled cuts are fine, just don't cut it in half), though I have done it myself on occasion.

Finding it in bulk on Bricklink isn't that bad, there's plenty of sellers. The only difficult colors are white and tan. It's even appeared on LUGBulk.

If you need blue or brown, you can use the copper wire used for electric installation in Europe, it's 3mm in diameter and extremely cheap

If you need blue or brown, you can use the copper wire used for electric installation in Europe, it's 3mm in diameter and extremely cheap

I have used some electric wiring to simulate a hose. Quite efficient when one wants to have a bent one to simulate a pipe that runs along a boiler. A few caveats: one has to first unbend them by rolling them flat, the diametre varies a bit around 3mm and coulour matching is not that good.

Edited by Frank STENGEL

I've also used electric wiring instead of LEGO hose. I figure that if you put a wire in a LEGO hose, you might as well go all the way and use a real wire. Besides, unlike LEGO hose it doesn't kink when it bends and therefore looks better.

Here in North America, black white and red are very common. Other colors are harder to come by. 14 gauge wire is a close match to 3,2mm hose and it is also the most common wiring in a house (15 amp. circuits make up at least half the circuits in a house and they're wired in 16 gauge). The color and exact size varies a bit between different manufacturers so I look around for the best match.

Dan-147

Thank you all for your thoughts and input! I greatly appreciate it!