Ookami

Fantastic Beasts 2018 - Speculation & Future Set Discussion

I've been thinking something similar for a while (I think I've posted it before, so sorry if I have!), however I think the Ghostbusters HQ is a better comparison. The Ghostbusters theme got a small regular retail release of only two sets, and even then they weren't regular retail like a traditional LEGO wave: one was an Ideas set, and the other was a one-off. The theme did get several Dimensions sets, however, and Fantastic Beasts and Harry Potter are getting two of those each, if I'm remembering correctly, one of which is a Story Pack just like one of the new Ghostbusters packs. So based on that I'm hoping we might see a huge Hogwarts similar to the Ghostbusters HQ. Only time will tell though! :classic:

Exactly! The new Ghostbusters got a set that just delivered everything you need, If we can get a set with Newt, Tina, Queenie and Jacob, a Niffler, a Beast, and another person, i'd be satisfied!

That's also a bigger bet than a movie you know will do well!

Does anyone know of actual sets for this movie?  It's a fantastic film and there could be some interesting playsets done, I think.

there will be 5 movies,...  so looking at Harry potter, lotr and the hobbit it will come!!!

but when?  i think next year!!

Seeing what Lego has done for Pixar's Cars 3 this year as a subtheme of Juniors, what perhaps would be done for The Incredibles 2 next year if Lego were to do sets for the film?

Would it get its own theme like Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 did, or would it be subthemed under Juniors and Duplo for sets like Cars 3 did this year?

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Seeing what Lego has done for Pixar's Cars 3 this year as a subtheme of Juniors, what perhaps would be done for The Incredibles 2 next year if Lego were to do sets for the film?

Would it get its own theme like Toy Story 3 and Cars 2 did, or would it be subthemed under Juniors and Duplo for sets like Cars 3 did this year?

I think they should take the Junior route, cheap sets with some main characters. It'll make it easier for me personally

41 minutes ago, J3D1-T said:

I think they should take the Junior route, cheap sets with some main characters. It'll make it easier for me personally

Yeah, I can't see that happening. This theme would need a bigger budget due to the amount of molds it might require. Not all of the creatures could be brick built, and not all should. 

They could do the inside of Newt's Suitcase as one large set. Thus encompassing all the creatures and characters from the film.

Sorry to change the topic suddenly, but what do people think the chances are of some more Indiana Jones sets coming when 5 hits in 2019?

It will be almost 10 years since the last wave of sets, and there was less of a gap when Harry Potter had it's rebooted theme. I think the potential is still there to do some interesting things with the theme. Do you guys think it could happen? 

Just now, Whovastron said:

Sorry to change the topic suddenly, but what do people think the chances are of some more Indiana Jones sets coming when 5 hits in 2019?

It will be almost 10 years since the last wave of sets, and there was less of a gap when Harry Potter had it's rebooted theme. I think the potential is still there to do some interesting things with the theme. Do you guys think it could happen? 

Not sure, but Disney has rescheduled IJ5 for July 2020.

2 hours ago, Ultron said:

Yeah, I can't see that happening. This theme would need a bigger budget due to the amount of molds it might require. Not all of the creatures could be brick built, and not all should. 

What do you mean by "creatures"? 

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What do you mean by "creatures"? 

Errrr....all the beasts that the films feature..?

Just now, Ultron said:

Errrr....all the beasts that the films feature..?

Oh, you're talking about Fantastic Beasts. Since you responded to J3D1-T's post, I thought you were talking about 2018's The Incredibles 2, since that was the subject he was discussing in response to my post.

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh, you're talking about Fantastic Beasts. Since you responded to J3D1-T's post, I thought you were talking about 2018's The Incredibles 2, since that was the subject he was discussing in response to my post.

Oh, no, my mistake. I figured FB was what was being talked about, sorry. Either way, I don't think FB would work as a juniors theme :laugh:

19 hours ago, Ultron said:

Well, I never said it would, just that I would like it more.

On @LegoMonorailFan's CS Creator Opinion thread, @badgerboy had linked a three part interview with current Lego Group CEO Bali Padda that took place at this year's Media Fan Days event, and I found this one quote from the second part of the interview quite interesting.

International markets are also a focus for the LEGO Group, with the CEO reflecting that the company are looking at potential Asian IPs to partner with, expanding beyond Western licenses such as Star Wars and Harry Potter. The experienced leader also noted that the designers within the company represent 41 nationalities, bringing a broad range of experience and talent.

What IPs could this possibly encompass? :shrug_confused:

Edit: Here is the link.

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/chatting-to-the-ceo-lego-successes-and-missteps/

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

On @LegoMonorailFan's CS Creator Opinion thread, @badgerboy had linked a three part interview with current Lego Group CEO Bali Padda that took place at this year's Media Fan Days event, and I found this one quote from the second part of the interview quite interesting.

What IPs could this possibly encompass? :shrug_confused:

Edit: Here is the link.

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/chatting-to-the-ceo-lego-successes-and-missteps/

Sonic the Hedgehog was featured in LEGO Dimensions, and the IP is owned by the Japan-based video game company SEGA.

I wonder if "Asian IPs" include licenses based upon American Hollywood films that owe the majority of their box office success on earnings from China. For instance, 2013's Pacific Rim grossed $101.8 million domestically; but grossed $309.2 million overseas, with $114.3 million in China alone.

It's probably too late given what we know now about sets and themes for 2018, but with Pacific Rim: Uprising slated for March next year, I wonder if Lego would be interested in the franchise.

After spending the last week or so rewatching all the movies...and looking back at older sets, we really need some updates on minifigs. Notably Quirrell, Moody, Sirius, Lockhart, & new introduction of Slughorn. We could also use a Cedric Diggory in order to get a Hufflepuff uniform. Then Luna for Ravenclaw. 

22 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

After spending the last week or so rewatching all the movies...and looking back at older sets, we really need some updates on minifigs. Notably Quirrell, Moody, Sirius, Lockhart, & new introduction of Slughorn. We could also use a Cedric Diggory in order to get a Hufflepuff uniform. Then Luna for Ravenclaw. 

I'd love a Cho fig. A reboot of the theme would have so much potential.

I really liked how the various sets from the first few movies combined into one larger Hogwarts model. I think they could pull it off much more efficiently if they were to bring it back to fill the space between the FB movies.

Maybe we'll get FB sets when the next movie gets released, especially since Dimensions is is practically cancelled.

On 7/18/2017 at 8:03 AM, MatthewRC said:

Sonic the Hedgehog was featured in LEGO Dimensions, and the IP is owned by the Japan-based video game company SEGA.

He's been a part of Western society for quite a long time now. I think he meant more Asia-specific IPs not as well-known in the Western world.

Edited by Master_Data

I think the world of Harry Potter could have been a evergreen series like Star wars if Lego had wanted. Even without the new films i guess millions read the books every year.. And unlike SW who i believe have mostly male fans, HP is just as popular with the females :wub:

4 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I still hold out hope for a Futurama theme.  It's what I've always wanted.:wub:

Sadly, Mega Construx has made Kubros of Bender and Fry. Besides, Futurama is somewhat more inappropriate than The Simpsons.

15 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I think the world of Harry Potter could have been a evergreen series like Star wars if Lego had wanted. Even without the new films i guess millions read the books every year.. And unlike SW who i believe have mostly male fans, HP is just as popular with the females :wub:

Definitely. They very well could've woven FB in much like Rogue One sets in SW. They missed quite a few things & some old stuff definitely could've used a refresher. Just thinking about how they could've expanded on Diagon Alley...and a new Shrieking Shack. So much.

Although, maybe it had something to do with vehicles, or a lack thereof. SW & Superheroes all revolve around vehicles. HP only really has two, the Knight Bus & the Weasley's Ford. To a lesser extent, there's Hagrid's motorcycle. There's just so much missed opportunities on minifigs that I'm bummed about. 

It's a shame because Harry Potter was one of the few licensed themes where the sets were location based. They definitely botched that last wave just like they did with LotR. Clearly they're still holding onto the license, so what's the deal?? Give us at least one or two FB sets for the next movie..

53 minutes ago, Ultron said:

It's a shame because Harry Potter was one of the few licensed themes where the sets were location based. They definitely botched that last wave just like they did with LotR. Clearly they're still holding onto the license, so what's the deal?? Give us at least one or two FB sets for the next movie..

I honestly don't understand why they don't continue HP.  I mean they did for years with SW before they announced the new trilogy.