Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy MacFuzz

Calendar and passage of time

I was wondering if there is any guidance on the passage of calendrical time in BoBS? Is there some kind of timeline of current events as they get MOC'ed? It says on the BoBS intro page that the year is 615, and that was written last year so if we are following real time it must now be 616, right? Maybe its 17th February 616? But then it presumably takes several months to sail to New Terra and nobody wants to wait for their sigfig to make that journey in real time, equally many of the bigger builds would take months of real time, so maybe the game is going faster than real time? Anyone got any ideas or guidance on this?

And just so you don't think I'm a total dork, I don't mind what the answer is, I just want to keep my sigfig's adventures within the bounds of the space time continuum. I realise we're all here to have fun, not to create a perfectly realistic parrallel world!

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

I was wondering if there is any guidance on the passage of calendrical time in BoBS? Is there some kind of timeline of current events as they get MOC'ed? It says on the BoBS intro page that the year is 615, and that was written last year so if we are following real time it must now be 616, right? Maybe its 17th February 616? But then it presumably takes several months to sail to New Terra and nobody wants to wait for their sigfig to make that journey in real time, equally many of the bigger builds would take months of real time, so maybe the game is going faster than real time? Anyone got any ideas or guidance on this?

And just so you don't think I'm a total dork, I don't mind what the answer is, I just want to keep my sigfig's adventures within the bounds of the space time continuum. I realise we're all here to have fun, not to create a perfectly realistic parrallel world!

Well, I solved this by giving all ships post-relativistic warp-drives... No, wait - wrong setting! pirate_tong.gif

Well, actually, I was wondering the same. So far, I have given (some of) my log entries a date like "35th day of the XYZ Expedition". The best solution is probably following the real time calendar as you suggest, but with a bit of leeway for construction and travel times and such. pirate_blush.gif

Edited by Bregir

I think (also from my experiences with GoH) that for the greatest part, we're following the real calendar, but as Bregir said with shortened voyage and construction time.

Edit: I think it's more important for things to be chronological then things to have a just date, if you get what I mean :laugh:

Edited by TitusV

Yes I agree with that. Most of us are following the real calendar but with some "arrangements".

I am using multiple characters in order to play with time construction or travel. One is doing something while the other, well, is said lost at sea, for recent example... ;p

I think each faction has its ways to count time.

Bregir built one aspect of Corrington counting time.

Pombe, for example, timed travel a bit in order to post a challenge entry when all his crew was seen in Mardier prison. He made it quite humorous !

I don't think Eslandola is counting time like Corrington or like Oleon, and I am not speaking of the natives ! For the Ténotclaxcans it's not even the same year than for the other nations !

So everything to answer to you that you are free to do whatever you want. Being realistic or not.

In Oleon, we calculate time based mainly on the regular daily rituals to our gods (bells or wood ringing) along with sun heights.

Hint! Hint! Some Oleander must make a related free build i guess.

This has been answered well enough, but should it remain as a single topic or be merged into the Introduction and Starting Thread?

If it stays by itself it may pave the way for more such singular questions, which could clutter things up a bit.

Well it can go into the starting thread if you wish, I made it a seperate thread to avoid cluttering the starting thread! Happy to take advice on this and general posting etiquette.

And yes, it has been well answered, I am much clearer now. Thanks!pir_laugh2.gif

Generally, we pose our questions in the starting thread - that is what it is there for, and by nature, it is becoming quite cluttered! pirate_laugh2.gif