Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

18 minutes ago, Megaflora said:

The decision to do another D2C was probably more due to the positive response to Ninjago City then the movie itself. 

Yeah, while the movie may not have resonated with mass audiences to the same extent as the previous two Lego movies, I've seen little indication that that's reflected negatively on sales of the sets.

I'm curious what the docks set will include. Two of the most obvious inclusions (the ninja's warehouse and a dock for the Destiny's Bounty) seem almost like too much to hope for, given the scale necessary for either. Granted, the former might be doable without actually fitting the mechs, or possibly only fitting one mech at a time—but even that seems a bit dubious. There are certainly plenty of other possible options, though.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Yeah, while the movie may not have resonated with mass audiences to the same extent as the previous two Lego movies, I've seen little indication that that's reflected negatively on sales of the sets.

I'm curious what the docks set will include. Two of the most obvious inclusions (the ninja's warehouse and a dock for the Destiny's Bounty) seem almost like too much to hope for, given the scale necessary for either. Granted, the former might be doable without actually fitting the mechs, or possibly only fitting one mech at a time—but even that seems a bit dubious. There are certainly plenty of other possible options, though.

I haven't seen the movie so I can only speculate based on unused models in the art book. There are a bunch of different stalls and food carts they could include. They also designed a bunch of arcade machines so I could see them including an arcade.

I'm not sure what new minifigures could be included besides the norwal troops. The mayor? Maybe Nya with a helmet and her motorcycle.

3 hours ago, Megaflora said:

The decision to do another D2C was probably more due to the positive response to Ninjago City then the movie itself. 

Something I mentioned in the 2018 thread regarding the docks being a "D2C" set...

...retailer catalogs are sent to small retailers that will NEVER sell D2C sets. Direct 2 Consumer sets are exclusively sold directly from LEGO, hence the name. If a retailer has access to this information, they can order that set to sell. This goes entirely against the D2C concept.

That doesn't stop this set from being $150 plus, of course, as the TLNM Destiny's Bounty did just that, & was sold at all retailers. Which speaking of Destiny's Bounty, it too was wrongly assumed to be a D2C set, only for NINJAGO City to show up and blow us all away.

It's surprising that it is in the catalog, but it would be more surprising if the leaker included a fake alongside all of the obviously legit Star Wars and Ninjago images.

I am very curious too what the new D2C set brings... It wll be extension to current NC for sure, but...will it stands on the same 32x32 footprint? (Probably yes), so docks on this small footprint will not be aimed for Destiny´s Bounty, as well as for Warehouse (it will be too big, in comparasion to the rest of the city). So maybe some market on the ground floor, and then   "skyscraper", with the mayor´s desk and security guard. Then maybe some beach with some guys on it, and also - ships... Or maybe this time they will build it horizontally rather than vertically... What do you think?

They are reintroducing the blue 32x32 baseplate in 2018 . . maybe they'll include two baseplates, one grey for the land part and one blue for the ocean part, and build a long dock out along both of them to fit the Bounty? So it'll actually be a 32x64 footprint?

Another part to Ninjago City makes sense, because the city was huge in the movie and the way the set was built to add modulars, plus it doesn't quite fit in with the city modulars. Now if its the Docks that will probably just be a section of it, they could still add a school to a section, a warehouse, news studio, there's all sorts of thing that this set could have, much like the Ninjago City set has.

I just hope the set includes the narwhal Shark Army soldier we didn't get in any of the other sets.

36392205152_d0b59da246.jpg?resize=262,33

I don't know what else the docks would include from the movie, so it might just include some generic city-building elements like the Ninjago City set itself.

Edited by 8BrickMario

On 1/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, Takanuinuva said:

I could see the Narwhal helmet being in two pieces. The helmet itself and the unicorn horn for the horn piece.

Perhaps, though I imagine it could be one piece, since there isn't an existing mold that matches the narwhal horn. 

EDIT: I've now gotten some of the minifigures, and I'm really happy with them, especially civvie Zane. I just now realized that Wu is providing the cereal Garmadon and Lloyd are eating, and so you can set up a family breakfast with them.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I finished the GGG Shark Mech and it really looks amazing on display alone! Very good mechanical details and shape of a white shark, the Piranha Mech is great as well. Some days ago I bought Jay's Lightning Jet, Ninjago City Chase and Manta Ray Bomber as well.

The baddies in this theme alone make it worth collecting as an underwater LEGO theme.

I had something to celebrate yesterday, so I decided to open my Ninjago City set and start building. The day before, I watched 'Ghost in the Shell' (the original, anime movie, obviously) to set the mood, something I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who's going to build NC. I'm very enthusiastic about the way the NC instruction manual sketches the world around the set and adds flavour with the characters backgrounds. Even without seeing the Ninjago Movie I can fully appreciate the ideas behind the model. While the manual states that the designers took inspiration from show-verse Ninjago City and big real-world cities, I'm pretty sure movies like 'Ghost in the Shell' and 'Akira' were the actual foundation for the concept here. 

Regarding the build: I'll go with what has been said many times before: fantastic, outstanding! Always surprising, very diverse. I'm not even halfway yet, so there's a lot to discover still, but one really fun feature I encountered is the one where you fry the crabs and banana's. Love it! :sweet:

Can't wait to see a higher res preview of the Docks.

Picked up NC finally this week (impossible not to at under 200 notes!)