Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

25 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Turns out Bricktober starts next weekend on the 8th, according to the TRU employee I asked today...

They're uninformed. It starts today. I picked up my minifigs, and apparently Batman is next week.

33 minutes ago, legozebra said:

Turns out Bricktober starts next weekend on the 8th, according to the TRU employee I asked today...

I see several of the Ninjago 4-packs on eBay from US sellers. Sounds like a case of your mileage may vary. Best to call your local TRU and see if they're issuing the sets yet.

Still no definitive word on what it takes to get one of the sets. Minimum purchase of ???

Just now, Penkid11 said:

They're uninformed. It starts today. I picked up my minifigs, and apparently Batman is next week.

Picked up for a price or minimum purchase? 

Just now, bricksnator said:

Minimum purchase of $50. Apparently that's consistent across all Bricktober sets for the month.

Just now, Penkid11 said:

Minimum purchase of $50. Apparently that's consistent across all Bricktober sets for the month.

Sweet. Thx. 

50 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

When will the Bricktober packs be available for purchase?

In years past, the remaining inventory goes up for sale in stores right after Bricktober ends, so early November. Last year I saw tons of them on an aisle display.

1 hour ago, bricksnator said:

I see several of the Ninjago 4-packs on eBay from US sellers. Sounds like a case of your mileage may vary. Best to call your local TRU and see if they're issuing the sets yet.

Still no definitive word on what it takes to get one of the sets. Minimum purchase of ???

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

Thanks for the responses - I called back and spoke with somebody and they had zero knowledge of Bricktober at all, but I saw the post on The Brick Fan and your responses and figured it would be worth a shot. Picked up the very last one in the box a minute before closing time. Thanks again!

Sort of semi-related to set discussion, but has anyone seen the foam play weapons from Disguise that are being sold alongside the Ninjago Movie Halloween costumes? I saw them this past weekend at Target and was very impressed with their quality. Unlike the foam play weapons sold at Lego stores, these ones are actually quite accurate to the actual minifigure weapons, and seem fairly robust despite obviously being soft enough for play.

http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-sword.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-katana.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-spiked-nunchucks.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-spear.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-hammer.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-bow-arrow.html

52 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Sort of semi-related to set discussion, but has anyone seen the foam play weapons from Disguise that are being sold alongside the Ninjago Movie Halloween costumes? I saw them this past weekend at Target and was very impressed with their quality. Unlike the foam play weapons sold at Lego stores, these ones are actually quite accurate to the actual minifigure weapons, and seem fairly robust despite obviously being soft enough for play.

http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-sword.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-katana.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-spiked-nunchucks.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-spear.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-hammer.html
http://disguise.com/ninjago-movie-bow-arrow.html

I did when they first put them out. Last time I bothered to look it seemed like they had sold well.

I guess this is the right place to put this information. 

If you wanted poly bag set 30426 (hover boat) you should check out Walmart. I spotted a batch at my local store. It looked like it was replaced the training ground set. 

On 10/3/2017 at 10:18 AM, Exetrius said:

The Great White general:

37385064411_d32934fb0b_z.jpg

by elephantograph, on Flickr

Just look at those badges all over his chest, love that! :laugh:

Shame his battery isn’t fully charged like it is in the movie 

Took some shots of the Making Of The Movie book, and it's full of really interesting info - I'll focus on the set design process in this thread though.

Some Set Prototypes:

70607 Ninjago City Chase - I like a lot of these stall designs a lot more than the barebones one we got, but at least they provide really good inspiration for future builds - especially the octopus/noodle one.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70609 Manta Ray Bomber - The "fins" using blimp/hot air balloon elements on the right design are interesting, but something's a tad off, so I see why they didn't go for it. Still, it makes the model a lot more interesting than it is now, and I would have really liked new colors for the hot air balloon.

Ninjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70610 Flying Jelly Sub - Nothing much to say about these prototypes - The one with teeth is pretty cute, but since the model needed a pilot, it wouldn't really work.

70611 Water Strider - If only we got that larger scale, but I can't complain much as the price is so good.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70612 Green Ninja Mech Dragon - A lot of the designs here look great, as well as the different color schemes - the one they went with is a great parts pack, but I like the darker shades a bit more. It's interesting how they stretched out the Lego element for the movie. The red build looks amazing, but I'm glad they went with natural green.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70614 Lightning Jet - I actually really like the design we got; the other designs don't seem as inspired as our current model, and the way they evoked electricity is great.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70615 Fire Mech - The set in the middle of the spread showing the three models most closely matches the scale we got - I only wish we got the prototype on the right, which actually matches the scale of the movie set really well. Additionally, I really like that curved, trans red cockpit - but I guess it was changed for better visibility of Kai. I'm glad they went with the mech design - Although the "fire" truck is an ironically funny concept, it's really boring.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70616 Ice Tank - I like the final aesthetic of what we got a lot more than some of the other proposed designs, but I wish the cannon opening feature was used for the final set - it makes a great play feature and gives a logical reason as to why the set looks the way it does.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

70617 Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon - What we got is much better than these two, but the stone dragons on the right one look a bit nicer than what we got.

70618 Destiny's Bounty - We got such a superb set I don't have much to say about the prototypes, other than I wish we got a flying feature given that it flew in the film.

70620 Ninjago City - I really, really like the top of that right one - the tan and trans light blue windshield look spectacular. What we got was alright - the skyscraper as part of the city but in a different scale is a bit odd at any angle besides the front, but it's not a big deal.

70629 Piranha Chase - I like what we got - if only the feet moved, though

70632 Cole's Quake Mech - Again, not much to say with this one except the final design is better than the umpteenth overused Power Miners drill design - that brick-built wheel looks really sweet though.

70656 garmadon, Garmadon, GARMADON

Other (Unreleased):

This Nexo Knights-esque concept would have been featured if the movie was set in a more rural village, something that was considered.

Some of the alternate Shark Army designs - I particularly like the Seahorse, Anglerfish, and Squid sub.

This bounty hunter duo would have been interesting, but the movie was already pretty crowded and I feel like there wouldn't have been any time to explore these side characters - Plus the build isn't anything special. The parallels to Lloyd and Garmadon are interesting, however.

And finally, the GREAT DEVOURER was the planned kaiju for the movie, to be replaced by the cat. Man - this would've meant an epic Great Devourer model as well as the albeit far less interesting and somewhat random robot mongoose. I'm guessing this was the enemy for the script that had the Vermillion as enemies. 

Figure Prototypes:

Fabric/Cloth Elements:

Why wasn't this a thing? Fans have been clamoring for a coat just like this since Commissioner Gordon sported one in TLBM (and probably before that too), so I can't fathom why they even made a physical element but didn't release it in sets.

Same with this one - they clearly designed this skirt element to go along with General #1, but I can't understand why it wasn't actually released

Kai - I like what we got, but gold and red arm printing would have been nice. Shirtless Kai is hilarious as well - I would have loved to see that variant and especially that face in the CMF line.

Jay - This flight suit is sweet, and I wish we got it as a variant in the jet. The dark blue hat/mask combo is very attractive as well.

Zane - That "breathing mask" design is really cool - I wonder what it would've looked like in white?

Cole - Wish we got that ridged hammer, but there weren't many design variants showcased here.

Lloyd - They dodged a bullet here with "emo Lloyd" - That would've been awful, and I'm glad they didn't go for it. The callback to 2012-era Lloyd is a bit funny, though.

Nya - I rather like all of these designs - the armor mold is neat as well and I wish we got that as an actual part.

Wu - Now this is where it gets interesting. Younger, "kung-fu movie" Wu would have been cool, but I see why they went with the traditional "Sensei" look.

Ninjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of TidbitsNinjago Movie Making Of Tidbits

Garmadon - The crab helmet is alright, but I prefer what we got. Some of those illustrated helmets look great, though.

Misako - All of the Lady Iron Dragon designs are so sweet - I could see them being re-used as Amazonians or Warrior Princesses - they all look so good.

General #1 - I wish we got that different, Japanese-style hair, but the Zombie Businessman hair is serviceable.

Other

These Bounty Hunters look really cool - I wish that tiger was made into a set, and I'm curious as to why the bearded man is flesh-colored.

The Vermillion here look really, really cool, and I wish that posable tail was actually made. It seems like the face prints were re-used for the Serpentine/Skulkin War flashback, which is interesting.

That's it for now - I've posted a bunch more onto Flickr if you're interested, including a fascinating look at how Spinjitsu and the Tornado of Creation would have played a large role in the movie.

Edited by legozebra

Wait - the Vermillion were originally going to be Garmadon's army in the movie?? Was the movie's delay the reason why they were used in the TV show instead?

EDIT: You've definitely convinced me to pick up one of these books now.

Edited by Kopaka25

Wow, there were some great designs that they passed on. Everything from Cole's kanabo to some of those stalls and carts. I'm off to see if I can reverse engineer one of those airplanes now.

The Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon prototype on the left should be reused in a regular Ninjago set

Also, this as a whole would have been one hell of a set. Like a "Ninjago Market" or something like that. A nice chance to reuse the goat mould again

11 hours ago, legozebra said:

4 hours ago, Kopaka25 said:

Wait - the Vermillion were originally going to be Garmadon's army in the movie?? Was the movie's delay the reason why they were used in the TV show instead?

EDIT: You've definitely convinced me to pick up one of these books now.

Yup - they were the planned villains had the movie been released last year - I kinda wish that's what happened. I know they're more snakes, but I kinda prefer the designs here to the Shark Army.

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Also, this as a whole would have been one hell of a set. Like a "Ninjago Market" or something like that. A nice chance to reuse the goat mould again

That brick-built pretzel and the whole market is glorious. Not a very marketable set to kids, but I'd buy it in a heart beat.

I bought Ninjago City on Friday, and I’m about halfway through the street level right now. The set is absolutely amazing! It’s a very fun build, within so much detail and so many cool parts and techniques! I can’t wait to build the rest!

Those other 2 Ninjago City prototypes look so much bigger than the one that was made. Love the top design of the Ninjago City prototype on the right. But I kond of like the overall look of the left one just a bit more. 

1 hour ago, Cyclone_37 said:

I'm unsure, either $50 or $55

Thank you! $50 would be a steal for that, I’m expecting a $60 pricepoint given the €55 price in Europe.