Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

Just now, Kopaka25 said:

Doubt it, or else it would almost certainly be on the packaging. 

Out of all of the new sets, the Quake Mech looks like the only must-buy for me. Is that a turntable in the cockpit, or am I trying too hard to look for one?

CHIMA's 2014 Speedorz sets didn't advertise cards, though they were included.

The Quake Mech should have a turntable in there, as those are the only controls he has.

Edited by Penkid11

Just now, Penkid11 said:

CHIMA's 2014 Speedorz sets didn't advertise cards, though they were included.

Ah fair, I never really followed Chima. I guess it's possible then.

Garmadon's Volcano looks like the only good winter set to me, and even that isn't great! I'll probably get it along with Piranha Chase for that awesome Lady Iron Dragon minifigure!

4 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Garmadon's Volcano looks cool. So does the Quake Mech. Are we not getting that narwhal minifgure in any of the winter sets?

Isn't there one more set to see?

Just now, K_Tiger said:

Isn't there one more set to see?

No, as far as I rembember

The Narwhal absence is indeed very conspicuous. Could this mean there will be a third wave? 

I doubt it since Sons of Garmadon will be the 2018Ninjago theme and pretty much everything from the movie is already released

Time will tell...

Just saw the movie. I personally prefer the other movies, but this one wasn't bad at all! The spoiler tag includes stuff I didn't like and set accuracy.

I hated how things like the water, volcano base, soil, and plants were all "real" and not Lego bricks. Same for the elemental powers. I also didn't like how they changed Cole, but all the other characters were good. Zane was funny but I thought he was too robotic. Garmadon was the best character, in my opinion! 

Now for set accuracy: all the ninja vehicles are as accurate as they can be when they're scaled down, and I think they look good both in the movie and as sets. Both of Garmadon's mechs look good as well. The Bounty was accurate except for the fact that it doesn't have a flying transformation feature, and we never saw the interior so I don't know how accurate that is. The Temple was accurate from the outside, but nothing on the inside is from the movie. There were no traps in the movie, and the ultimate ultimate weapon was the treasure chest of elemental items, not a brown box full of gold flower pieces. The interior also had nothing from the movie, since the only things we really saw were the family pictures and some other items not in the set. Also, the lion statues in front of the temple don't come to life in the movie. Ninjago City and Ninjago City Chase aren't accurate objectively, since the city isn't a huge stacked modular, but they represent the city in the movie well enough and I like both of the sets. The Flying Jelly Sub and Manta Ray Bomber are accurate as well, and Master Falls is accurate as a scaled down version of the bridge in the movie. The Volcano Lair is scaled down as well but also looks faithful to the movie, and I hope it has a launching function to "fire" the generals. The piranha mech set is pretty faithful too, but Misako (Koko) never fights alongside the ninja as Lady Iron Dragon in the movie, she only fights as her in the past. Spinjitzu Training isn't accurate at all.

So let's look thoroughly at these sets, and their discrepancies

Spoiler

Spinjitzu Training: Not in the movie

NINJAGO City Chase: Not in the movie. This set really, really should've had Nya's motorbike.

Master Falls: Cage location makes no sense, but is tolerable, and probably one of the most accurate sets in the film. Should've included some red butterflies...

Manta Ray Bomber: Pretty accurate at face value (if not scaled down/didn't pay too much attention as their scenes are brief). The fact it doesn't have a crab firing function is an unfortunate yet acceptable loss.

Flying Jelly Sub: See the Manta Ray Bomber's accuracy thoughts. The chains could be longer on this one.

Water Strider: Unfortunately downscaled. Missing some flexibility. Satisfactory nonetheless.

Green Ninja Mech Dragon: Wish it had a large enough head to match the movie model, so a mod could be made to scale with it. Acceptable set. The Ultimate Weapon should be silver.

Garma Mecha Man: The least accurate of all the mechs, and it's not just the scale that's an issue here. Should include some extra, normal sharks, as well as the fishies for scale. It makes no sense that Garmadon doesn't have his cape. Again, Ultimate Weapon should be silver.

Lightning Jet: Scale, again, is a shame, yet tolerable. The Supersonic Dynamo should drop into the vehicle while not in use. Ed and Edna are just extra because its a Jay-centric set, though if you saw the movie, no one would be able to tell you they were his parents.

Fire Mech: Scale/accuracy. Yadda, yadda, yadda. What's nice is that the instructions for the legs of the movie Fire Mech are featured in the credits of the movie.

Ice Tank: Scale/accuracy. Should've included the Narwhal.

Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon: The Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle of TLNM. Nothing aside from the outside facade of this set is accurate. No traps, no weird crate, no living Lion-Dogs, and heck, the set doesn't even include The Ultimate Ultimate Weapon(s), if they can even be called that. It's a good thing this set is pleasing to the eyes, because it's pretty disappointing when it comes to accuracy, and this time it isn't just scaling problems.

Destiny's Bounty: It flies in the movie... Like, why in the world does the set not have thrusters? Regardless if it could fly in the movie, I would've put thrusters in it anyway, as that's just what Destiny's Bounty is supposed to be. A flying, oriental ship. The set itself is just a downscaled oriental boat (a very pretty one at that). Again, The Ultimate Weapon should be silver.

Lloyd (or any other Ninja) - Spinjitzu Master: They never use Spinjitzu in the movie...

Piranha Chase: Lady Iron Dragon never appears fighting alongside the ninja, aside from the fact she never faces against the Shark Army either.

Garmadon's Volcano: What should be the interior of this set, is outside instead... Needs to be more volcano-y and needs more Generals to fire (though we are getting a normal Great White, so I digress).

Quake Mech: Needs more amps. Shouldn't have flick-fires hiding in it. What was said about Lady Iron Dragon in Piranha Chase applies here as well.

The Lloyd promo with the hood never shows up. None of the Kendo, or training Gis appear in the movie.

Lloyd never handles blueprints for the Green Ninja Mech Dragon, Wu never has cornflakes, the Garmadon CMF just plain doesn't exist in the movie, Zane never wears a backpack, and the GPL Tech doesn't really show up in a noticeable role.

13 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:
4 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

So let's look thoroughly at these sets, and their discrepancies

Reveal hidden contents

Spinjitzu Training: Not in the movie

NINJAGO City Chase: Not in the movie. This set really, really should've had Nya's motorbike.

Master Falls: Cage location makes no sense, but is tolerable, and probably one of the most accurate sets in the film. Should've included some red butterflies...

Manta Ray Bomber: Pretty accurate at face value (if not scaled down/didn't pay too much attention as their scenes are brief). The fact it doesn't have a crab firing function is an unfortunate yet acceptable loss.

Flying Jelly Sub: See the Manta Ray Bomber's accuracy thoughts. The chains could be longer on this one.

Water Strider: Unfortunately downscaled. Missing some flexibility. Satisfactory nonetheless.

Green Ninja Mech Dragon: Wish it had a large enough head to match the movie model, so a mod could be made to scale with it. Acceptable set. The Ultimate Weapon should be silver.

Garma Mecha Man: The least accurate of all the mechs, and it's not just the scale that's an issue here. Should include some extra, normal sharks, as well as the fishies for scale. It makes no sense that Garmadon doesn't have his cape. Again, Ultimate Weapon should be silver.

Lightning Jet: Scale, again, is a shame, yet tolerable. The Supersonic Dynamo should drop into the vehicle while not in use. Ed and Edna are just extra because its a Jay-centric set, though if you saw the movie, no one would be able to tell you they were his parents.

Fire Mech: Scale/accuracy. Yadda, yadda, yadda. What's nice is that the instructions for the legs of the movie Fire Mech are featured in the credits of the movie.

Ice Tank: Scale/accuracy. Should've included the Narwhal.

Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon: The Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle of TLNM. Nothing aside from the outside facade of this set is accurate. No traps, no weird crate, no living Lion-Dogs, and heck, the set doesn't even include The Ultimate Ultimate Weapon(s), if they can even be called that. It's a good thing this set is pleasing to the eyes, because it's pretty disappointing when it comes to accuracy, and this time it isn't just scaling problems.

Destiny's Bounty: It flies in the movie... Like, why in the world does the set not have thrusters? Regardless if it could fly in the movie, I would've put thrusters in it anyway, as that's just what Destiny's Bounty is supposed to be. A flying, oriental ship. The set itself is just a downscaled oriental boat (a very pretty one at that). Again, The Ultimate Weapon should be silver.

Lloyd (or any other Ninja) - Spinjitzu Master: They never use Spinjitzu in the movie...

Piranha Chase: Lady Iron Dragon never appears fighting alongside the ninja, aside from the fact she never faces against the Shark Army either.

Garmadon's Volcano: What should be the interior of this set, is outside instead... Needs to be more volcano-y and needs more Generals to fire (though we are getting a normal Great White, so I digress).

Quake Mech: Needs more amps. Shouldn't have flick-fires hiding in it. What was said about Lady Iron Dragon in Piranha Chase applies here as well.

The Lloyd promo with the hood never shows up. None of the Kendo, or training Gis appear in the movie.

Lloyd never handles blueprints for the Green Ninja Mech Dragon, Wu never has cornflakes, the Garmadon CMF just plain doesn't exist in the movie, Zane never wears a backpack, and the GPL Tech doesn't really show up in a noticeable role.

In your opinion, were there better options for the CMF slots than some of the ones we ended up with, especially the ones that DIDN'T show up on-screen?

13 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Just saw the movie. I personally prefer the other movies, but this one wasn't bad at all! The spoiler tag includes stuff I didn't like and set accuracy.

Reveal hidden contents

I hated how things like the water, volcano base, soil, and plants were all "real" and not Lego bricks. Same for the elemental powers. I also didn't like how they changed Cole, but all the other characters were good. Zane was funny but I thought he was too robotic. Garmadon was the best character, in my opinion! 

Now for set accuracy: all the ninja vehicles are as accurate as they can be when they're scaled down, and I think they look good both in the movie and as sets. Both of Garmadon's mechs look good as well. The Bounty was accurate except for the fact that it doesn't have a flying transformation feature, and we never saw the interior so I don't know how accurate that is. The Temple was accurate from the outside, but nothing on the inside is from the movie. There were no traps in the movie, and the ultimate ultimate weapon was the treasure chest of elemental items, not a brown box full of gold flower pieces. The interior also had nothing from the movie, since the only things we really saw were the family pictures and some other items not in the set. Also, the lion statues in front of the temple don't come to life in the movie. Ninjago City and Ninjago City Chase aren't accurate objectively, since the city isn't a huge stacked modular, but they represent the city in the movie well enough and I like both of the sets. The Flying Jelly Sub and Manta Ray Bomber are accurate as well, and Master Falls is accurate as a scaled down version of the bridge in the movie. The Volcano Lair is scaled down as well but also looks faithful to the movie, and I hope it has a launching function to "fire" the generals. The piranha mech set is pretty faithful too, but Misako (Koko) never fights alongside the ninja as Lady Iron Dragon in the movie, she only fights as her in the past. Spinjitzu Training isn't accurate at all.

The box photo for the Volcano Base shows an uncharred Great White General sitting on a red 4x4 round plate, "flying" from the top of the volcano. Whether it's because of an actual mechanism or imagination remains to be seen.

Edited by K_Tiger

1 minute ago, K_Tiger said:

The box photo for the Volcano Base shows an uncharred Great White General sitting on a red 4x4 round plate, "flying" from the top of the volcano. Whether it's because of an actual mechanism or imagination remains to be seen.

I must not have noticed that! I only looked at the picture once or twice and I was focusing on the lava and interior. I think a firing feature is kind of a necessity. For me, the biggest thing in the movie not made into a set was

the generals' camp where they were going to kill Garmadon and Lloyd. That was a big action scene and would've been a great opportunity to give us some of the other fired generals, since there were like 50.

9 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

In your opinion, were there better options for the CMF slots than some of the ones we ended up with, especially the ones that DIDN'T show up on-screen?

That will depend entirely on what minifigs we could potentially get in a third wave.

I just saw the movie (my spoiler-free thoughts are in the movie thread) but didn't pay much attention to set accuracy at the time. All I can say is that the small villain craft seem the most screen accurate, but all of the sets feel like they fit the tone/setting of the movie, with the obvious exception of (this could actually be a spoiler:)

Spinjitsu Training, since actual Spinjitzu never appears in the movie

Edited by rodiziorobs
Spelling

A bummer and missed opportunity indeed if we don't get that narwhal. For some reason i thought the narwhal would have been included in the Garmadon Garmadon set, but i checked and its not. :sceptic:

So I picked up the Nya's Water Strider today at my local ToyRUs (now in Vienna, Austria) and was graced with the Ninjago Bricktober Minifigure Pack! Figured I'd do a quick run down of the figures (mostly because I'm procrastinating) SO...here we go! (I was gonna upload pics, but my phone is being dumb...

White NinDroid General: I was very excited for this figure, and now that I have it I'm overjoyed. At first glance it looks like a recoloring of General Cryptor, but it's a new print that just looks kinda similar. It's fairly similar to it's in-show counterpart, it's biggest difference is the lack of back in the hood's eye piece and some minimal coloring problems on the armor piece. My favorite part is the wrapping head print. I would give it a 4.5/5

Neuro: Finally! Another Elemental Master! It's nice that the open spots are starting to be filled in. Hopefully we'll see those spots full in the next few years! Biggest disappoitment is the hairpiece. I understand they are not gonna make a new hairpiece for an exclusive, but that's my biggest nit-pick with the fig. Other that that the face is on point, the front and back is we designed, easily my favorite fig in the pack! 4.5/5!

Young Krux: This fig is alright, not really a need but it's relevant as season 7 is the most recent season. Not a lot to complain about on this fig other then the bottom of the hour glass (that appears on his older counterpart) that's printed on the legs. There is no top to the hourglass just a weird spot of black printing where the hourglass used to be. Kinda sloppy if you as me...The printing is well done otherwise. A snakeless helmet would have been cool, but you know, it's okay. 3/5

Digiverse Kai: The year was 2014...Lego decided to keep Ninjago going and thus the Digiverse was created...along with it four Golden Ninja. This is honestly the biggest surprise for me. In many ways...First, I just kinda figured they'd ignore these suits entirely, I kinda forgot about them, but those of you who know how I collect know that if I have on varient of a ninja...I want all of them. So hopefully we'll see them all eventually. Second of all, what is the name of Sam Hill is going on with Kai's torso print?! It's got fire and stuff on it not to mention the leg printing that was also not on it's TV show counterpart. Also the hood, his staff he's holding and shoulder armor is out of place. Just a lot of clutter I think. Also the Gold on the torso is darker than that of the hood and the shoulder pads...It's kinda a mess of a figure. It's one redeeming quality is the new face print which is honestly "a-very-Kai-face", and one i've been wanting for a while. (I'll try to upload pics eventally) This fig gets a 3/5.

Overall an odd pack of Characters that spans four seasons and four years and ultimately only leads us to want more...More Elemental Masters and more Digiverse Ninja. The pack as a whole gets 3.75/5 which is 75% and C's get degrees...So good job LEGO! :wink:

I’m more surprised (and a tad annoyed) with the inclusion of Digiverse Kai, as now there’s a large gap in my display wall where only one figure will go for now, unless we get more of these that I’m welcome to have but nobody really asked for. I’d have preferred something like Kabuki Nya or another of the missing Elemental Masters to this and young Krux, but I’m happy the TV show is getting any love in terms of exclusive figures.

@LegendsOfNinjago Thanks for your review (would still appreciate pics, though :tongue:)!

Ordered Lloyd's mech dragon yesterday for €45,- with free shipping and free TRU Ninjago minifig pack. Delivery would have been tomorrow, but the dragon was out of stock, so I'll be patiently waiting another week or two.

In other news, I checked out my local store (Toys XL Middelburg), most notable find was the sticker multi-pack (40 stickers) which came with the Ronin magazine polybag. At €5,99 however, I wasn't interested. The Bounty was discounted to €130,49 but I'm saving for Ninjago City. :wink: 

Another thing to note: I've seen the Temple of the Ultimate Ulitmate Weapon priced at €99,99 and elsewhere (Intertoys) at a staggering €129,99 :wacko:

Found a review of the sticker multi-pack, seems like the polybag included differs per batch? The one below has ToE Kai, instead of Ronin that I found in store.

There are quite a few mechs/ships in the LEGO Ninjago Movie video game that aren't part of the first two waves.

Has anyone thought about trying to MOC one of them? The hammerhead troop carrier plane is especially interesting.