Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

7 minutes ago, turk187 said:

Does anyone know for certain that we will get ear;y VIP access to the Ninjago City on the 16th, or at all?

It would be quite strange if we didn't, since it looks like that's the only D2C releasing to the general public in September. 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

7 minutes ago, turk187 said:

Does anyone know for certain that we will get ear;y VIP access to the Ninjago City on the 16th, or at all?

People wouldn't have review copies finished if it wasn't.

2 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

It would be quite strange if we didn't, since it looks like that's the only D2C releasing to the general public in September. 

Just now, Penkid11 said:

People wouldn't have review copies finished if it wasn't.

I hope so. I have money set aside and am hoping to have them in hand by Saturday.

We will! There is a message saying so on the website. I'm waiting till Tuesday to buy the...wait...

Just ordered the Strider two pack. Was waiting to go to America to buy it as its $30 vs £40, but the Jelly Sub value is FANTASTIC. The prices on these sets is amazing.

Also...built Jay's vehicle. Its SO good. One of my favourites...ever.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:23 PM, turk187 said:

Im sure lego also factors in the amount of plastic in each set as well as piece count, plus they probably factor the popularity of each line, as well as licensing costs. Im certain the price difference in Star Wars and Super heroes VS everything else isn't just because of licensing costs, its because SW is keeping Lego afloat and the sets are just the most popular stuff they have so there is a premium on that, with Super Hero stuff probably being the number 2 seller and I'd gues Ninjago and Nexo are probably towards, if not at, the bottom. I'm guessing that the lower prices on Ninjago movie stuff is because they are hoping that a good movie combined with awesome sets at a more reasonable price will result in an ongoing sales spike. (I don't actually have sales figures or anything, I'm just going by my gut based on how much space stuff gets on shelves and how often I see stuff going out the door)

For the past two years, the five top-selling LEGO themes globally (in no particular order) were Star Wars, City, Friends, Ninjago, and Duplo. Super Heroes didn't even make the list, though granted I don't know if LEGO was counting it as one theme or two separate themes (DC + Marvel). If they counted it as two separate themes, it is less surprising for it not to make the list since unless you count them together, the DC and Marvel Super Heroes lines don't have nearly as many sets as those other top sellers.

The five top-selling individual sets for 2015 and 2016 also didn't include any Super Heroes sets, but did include City, Star Wars, Friends, Mindstorms/Technic, and Disney sets each year. I get the feeling that the popularity of the Super Heroes theme among AFOLs is greater than its overall popularity, and that conversely, Ninjago is more popular among the general population than among AFOLs specifically.

Edited by Aanchir

28 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

For the past two years, the five top-selling LEGO themes globally (in no particular order) were Star Wars, City, Friends, Ninjago, and Duplo. Super Heroes didn't even make the list, though granted I don't know if LEGO was counting it as one theme or two separate themes (DC + Marvel). If they counted it as two separate themes, it is less surprising for it not to make the list since unless you count them together, the DC and Marvel Super Heroes lines don't have nearly as many sets as those other top sellers.

The five top-selling individual sets for 2015 and 2016 also didn't include any Super Heroes sets, but did include City, Star Wars, Friends, Mindstorms/Technic, and Disney sets each year. I get the feeling that the popularity of the Super Heroes theme among AFOLs is greater than its overall popularity, and that conversely, Ninjago is more popular among the general population than among AFOLs specifically.

Ninjago is so popular that it couldn't stay dead and now has its own movie. They wouldn't have revived it and given it its own movie if it didn't sell well. I'm surprised about Super Heroes not making the list, though. 

To anyone who has the Water Strider: how long/wide is it when it's legs are fully folded in? (See the official out of box picture for clarification)

Edited by Commodore Thrawn

44 minutes ago, Commodore Thrawn said:

To anyone who has the Water Strider: how long/wide is it when it's legs are fully folded in? (See the official out of box picture for clarification)

About 7 feet. Though the feet don't lie flat with the legs all the way bent

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Thats interesting. Do you have any figures for just America? and, what are AFOL's? Where did you get the figures?

Edited by turk187
more questions

49 minutes ago, turk187 said:

Thats interesting. Do you have any figures for just America? and, what are AFOL's? Where did you get the figures?

AFOLs are Adult Fans of Lego. 

11 hours ago, turk187 said:

My sources for the global top sellers are these two pages:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/events/annual-result-2015

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/events/annual-result-2016

According to this press release, the top selling themes for the US in 2015 were Star Wars, City, Friends, Super Heroes, and Minecraft. There wasn't a press release like this for 2016 since that was when sales growth in the US flattened, so I don't know if those same themes retained their positions. And again, since we don't know if the global rankings treated Super Heroes as one theme or two, we don't know whether that was a factor in the discrepancy.

AFOL stands for Adult Fan of LEGO — basically, us! While we are generally the most vocal and visible LEGO fans online, we make up only a small fraction of LEGO sales, most of which are made up of sets bought by or for kids (or "KFOLs"). LEGO sends periodic surveys out to fan sites like this one to keep track of how many of us AFOLs there are and what our purchasing habits are like.

I've translated the stickers for the set. 

3 JF robotics 8 danger 9 sushi 18 Palm well 20 sale 13 hi tech 24 borg industries 35 comics 25 rice and shine (you would think it would be "rise" but it might be a pun) 37 return of the brick separator 40 shadow of ronin 46 film 38 AB 48 (?) GS 49 bank 51 cars 52 chic 53/55 city 54 mmap (not sure about this one, pamm?) 56 visit bricksburg

HJacMNw.jpg

oqWY8NX.png

Edited by turk187

4 minutes ago, turk187 said:

I've translated the stickers for the set. 

48 (?) GS

The symbol before the GS is the galaxy squad logo.

3 hours ago, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

The symbol before the GS is the galaxy squad logo.

And we have another reference that I'm absolutely okay with

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

And we have another reference that I'm absolutely okay with

1 also says "ARSO" in the language of Okoto from Bionicle G2 (no idea what that means, though).

And in addition to reading "CITY", 53 and 55 also feature icons from the 2001 Mata Nui Online Game used to represent Ussal Crabs and Makuta, respectively.

21 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

About 7 feet. Though the feet don't lie flat with the legs all the way bent

Thanks for the information! Did you mean to say 7 inches instead of 7 feet?

1 hour ago, Commodore Thrawn said:

Right. I meant inches. I was looking at the foot marker on my tape measure when I used it.

2 hours ago, Commodore Thrawn said:

I just finished building it. Horizontally from foot to foot, it's 10 inches. Diagonally, it's 14 inches. It's humongous for a $30 set. Did anyone else with the set get an extra blue 2x2 round plate? I did, and I didn't miss one anywhere in the set. 

30 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I just finished building it. Horizontally from foot to foot, it's 10 inches. Diagonally, it's 14 inches. It's humongous for a $30 set.

Thanks!