Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

Those villains look kind of lackluster, right?

I would have expecting something more visually appealing like the NK villains

Overall I see what you mean, most of them are bland aside from headpieces, but in this case it feels entirely intentional. I think they want to visually appeal to the sea theme in more ways in just head pieces, while also making them humanoid. It also seems like these are supposed to be normal civilians with have been possessed in some way or taken over. NK villains are more eye catching and bright but they're also a completely different style. 

NK villains might be visually appealing but they are disposable characters. I think the head gears were intentionally made to stand out much like how you will identify all kinds of sea creatures. You remember them by the head gear and not through something else. I can't recall the names of these henchmen but I know there is jellyfish head, shark, angler fish, squid, etc. I think that's clever. At the same time this accentuates Garmadon as the ultimate boss. 

To me the villains look like their part of a navy that wears funny hats.

1 hour ago, gundamz said:

To you know which fishy-helmets come with which sets?

Here's what I know

Fire Mech - jellyfish, hammerhead shark
Lightning Jet - jellyfish
Water Strider - pufferfish (purple)
Garmadon's Shark Mech - shark
Manta Ray Bomber - shark

That Lloyd looks great. Sensei has Lloyd's robes. Sad to see that they gave Nya the whole 'chav' get up.

Just now, makoy said:

Here's what I know

Fire Mech - jellyfish, hammerhead shark
Lightning Jet - jellyfish
Water Strider - pufferfish (purple)
Garmadon's Shark Mech - shark
Manta Ray Bomber - shark

The lightning jet has a crab guy too. 

Also, how do you know which minifigs are in the Shark mech??

Edited by LegoShroom

3 minutes ago, LegoShroom said:

That Lloyd looks great. Sensei has Lloyd's robes. Sad to see that they gave Nya the whole 'chav' get up.

The lightning jet has a crab guy too. 

Also, how do you know which minifigs are in the Shark mech??

You're right Lightning jet has a crab (orange).

How do I know? I just know. :wink:

Fish villains look really bad. Sure headpieces are cool, but only a few of them even wear those headpieces! I wish Lego had gone with classic villains like Skulkin or Serpentine, at least those look unique.

Just now, benderisgreat said:

Fish villains look really bad. Sure headpieces are cool, but only a few of them even wear those headpieces! I wish Lego had gone with classic villains like Skulkin or Serpentine, at least those look unique.

Totally debatable... but if I'll go with your opinion it's actually a good thing for me because I have so much Star Wars this year that I cannot afford building another set of army. 

4 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Skulkin and Serpentine have been done already, I appreciate that there aren't jut rehashes of previous villain armies. Also all the leaks are getting me super jazzed for the movie and sets this fall! 

Anglerfish is cool. I'll use his head for an alien sort of fig. He looks kinda goofy too. 

lobster/shrimpguy has a nice headpiece as well. With some crab claws and some brickbuild feet you can make yourself a great lego shrimp/lobster. Would have preferred white dots in his eyes though. 

Too bad their bodies are so boring. 

5 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

I don't get the fish villains either, but I suppose it is a springboard for constant sushi jokes throughout the movie. :shrug_oh_well:

I'm pretty sure that if they had gone with a pre-existing villain faction, a lot of fans would be howling about how they "misrepresented" or "didn't do justice to" that group. Like if all the skeletons were just disposible background whatsits, some people would be like "That movie sucked, Krazy didn't even get any lines and was totally stealing a hotdog cart which let me tell you makes NO sense because..."

With new guys, you don't care how they behave.

11 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Probably, there will be LEGO Ninjago Movie game!

Okay. It'd be a great addition, but hopefully it don'5 become a story pack for LEGO Dimensions, but like a standard LEGO video game - kinda like The LEGO MOVIE: The Videogame.

Just now, Chimaninja454 said:

Okay. It'd be a great addition, but hopefully it don'5 become a story pack for LEGO Dimensions, but like a standard LEGO video game - kinda like The LEGO MOVIE: The Videogame.

Standard video game.

It's already been talked about from some sources that there will be just a videogame for it and no Dimensions packs will be released for the movie. Also that same style of code has appeared on almost every preorder polybag we've gotten in the past. And you there are no cheat codes in LEGO Dimensions to access characters...

He looks really great though!

Edited by Ashnflash

7 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

They all look great!

Are there alternate faces for nya and Lloyd?

Yeah I'll bricklink a couple of the ninja's, but other then that, it's really not worth it. These villain figs are really disappointing, and I have no need for the civvies. Oh well, I'll be saving lots of money. 

Edited by Zergos