Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

Either way I'm not going to get it as I do want the unique face print Nya has in Dragon's forge along with that Samurai X Card. So I might go for Dragon's Forge instead of Samurai VXL.

Got the Vermillion invader.  Not too much to say about it.  Zane is nice, as always.  Definitely the stand out fig in the set.  Lots of stickers in comparison to other price point sets IMO.  the egg throwing function works, but the eggs really only go a few inches.  Maybe will try double banding it for greater tension.  Final thoughts would be that the thing is pretty wide and flat.  Deceptively more than what one would think from the box.  I can't even wrap my hand around the thing.  So I would say it is an average set, I would suggest going for the iron doom and the small Vermillion Attack set if you are trying to get a good taste of the Vermillion faction.

3 hours ago, amazingbricks said:

Have you guys seen this?

-snip-

I posted it three pages ago, Dec 15. It's pretty good. :classic:

Picked up Dawn of Iron Doom for my son for Christmas.  Having had a look at the sets in store and seen the online reviews, I think Dawn of Iron Doom is overall the best set of the wave.  It is, basically, a $100-ish price point "play set type" set scaled down into a $60-$75 (depending on where you live) price point set, which makes it a tremendous value.

The set has a good selection of mini-figs with the Time Twins and the Vermillion figure as standouts.  It contains 4 separate builds (Lloyd's jetski/hover bike thing, the prison, the tower and the Iron Doom itself), 2 of which (prison, tower) are modular and can be combined into different configurations.  Each build, even the smallest (Lloyd's vehicle) contains one or more action features (swing out blades on Lloyd's vehicle, prison door, capsule bomb drop and board trap on tower and multiple features on Iron Doom Mech).  The builds all look great and the action features all work well.

This set is pretty much everything that you could want and then some in a set of it's price.  Good piece count, nice selection of mini-figs, multiple strong builds, excellent playability and a type of set that normally would cost more than it does = instant buy and best set of the wave IMHO.

Sadly though, for all of the awesomeness of this set, the rest of the wave looks pretty lacklustre to me with the exception of Vermillion Attack (which can, apparently, be combined with the prison/tower from Dawn of Iron Doom - can anyone confirm this?) and Dragon Forge.  Overall, the rest of the sets (the larger ones in particular) are sadly lacking in action features or have features that obviously took up most of the set budget but have limited or uninteresting use/results (The steering feature of the Samurai X vehicle is a prime example.  There was so much more that they could have done with the set budget.  The Vermillion Intruder should be able to do a lot more than what it does - the catapult feature does not work very well and is the only action feature of that set). 

Hands of Time wave is to me overall a bit of a disappointment after 2 strong waves.  Looking forward to seeing what the Movie wave brings!

2 hours ago, TPLSTER21 said:

It is, basically, a $100-ish price point "play set type" set scaled down into a $60-$75 (depending on where you live) price point set, which makes it a tremendous value.

I find that criteria the best value set you can get from Ninjago, too. I hope they do more sets like Dawn of Iron Doom. I mentioned this several times.. that for my personal taste, I rather have more playsets than vehicles because over the span of 6 years (2011 to 2016) there is a big chance that a young collector (or even an adult collector) will have a variety of vehicles that has similar designs already. They practically recycle the template for 3-wheel motorbike, smaller scale motorcycle, big 4-wheeler vehicle, helicopter and jet fighter. I really hope they try out other design or limit the recycling to 1-2 vehicles per wave only to make the vehicles more interesting. I think Destiny's Shadow is definitely outside those template vehicles so that's also something I want to get once it is available in my region.

2 hours ago, TPLSTER21 said:

Picked up Dawn of Iron Doom for my son for Christmas.  Having had a look at the sets in store and seen the online reviews, I think Dawn of Iron Doom is overall the best set of the wave.  It is, basically, a $100-ish price point "play set type" set scaled down into a $60-$75 (depending on where you live) price point set, which makes it a tremendous value.

The set has a good selection of mini-figs with the Time Twins and the Vermillion figure as standouts.  It contains 4 separate builds (Lloyd's jetski/hover bike thing, the prison, the tower and the Iron Doom itself), 2 of which (prison, tower) are modular and can be combined into different configurations.  Each build, even the smallest (Lloyd's vehicle) contains one or more action features (swing out blades on Lloyd's vehicle, prison door, capsule bomb drop and board trap on tower and multiple features on Iron Doom Mech).  The builds all look great and the action features all work well.

This set is pretty much everything that you could want and then some in a set of it's price.  Good piece count, nice selection of mini-figs, multiple strong builds, excellent playability and a type of set that normally would cost more than it does = instant buy and best set of the wave IMHO.

Sadly though, for all of the awesomeness of this set, the rest of the wave looks pretty lacklustre to me with the exception of Vermillion Attack (which can, apparently, be combined with the prison/tower from Dawn of Iron Doom - can anyone confirm this?) and Dragon Forge.  Overall, the rest of the sets (the larger ones in particular) are sadly lacking in action features or have features that obviously took up most of the set budget but have limited or uninteresting use/results (The steering feature of the Samurai X vehicle is a prime example.  There was so much more that they could have done with the set budget.  The Vermillion Intruder should be able to do a lot more than what it does - the catapult feature does not work very well and is the only action feature of that set). 

Hands of Time wave is to me overall a bit of a disappointment after 2 strong waves.  Looking forward to seeing what the Movie wave brings!

I can confirm, Vermillion attack can combine with the Iron Doom Structure.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:13 PM, Exetrius said:

Apologies I can't seen to reply from an iPad Safari browser. It keeps throwing up old posts that I can't delete

Edited by Faefrost
Reply seems broken in iOS safari?

4 hours ago, TPLSTER21 said:

Do you mind taking pictures of the twins? I'm curious about their double sided faces. Thanks in advance :classic:

1 hour ago, amazingbricks said:

Do you mind taking pictures of the twins? I'm curious about their double sided faces. Thanks in advance :classic:

If you do send pictures of the double sided faces, do you mind putting them in spoiler tags?

3 hours ago, makoy said:

I find that criteria the best value set you can get from Ninjago, too. I hope they do more sets like Dawn of Iron Doom. I mentioned this several times.. that for my personal taste, I rather have more playsets than vehicles because over the span of 6 years (2011 to 2016) there is a big chance that a young collector (or even an adult collector) will have a variety of vehicles that has similar designs already. They practically recycle the template for 3-wheel motorbike, smaller scale motorcycle, big 4-wheeler vehicle, helicopter and jet fighter. I really hope they try out other design or limit the recycling to 1-2 vehicles per wave only to make the vehicles more interesting. I think Destiny's Shadow is definitely outside those template vehicles so that's also something I want to get once it is available in my region.

To some extent I agree that Ninjago tends to repeat itself every now and then, but on the other hand, I feel like the sheer number of Ninjago sets means it can afford to do that. For instance, I bought the Skeleton Bike in 2011 and Kai's Blade Cycle in 2012, but skipped the Chain Cycle Ambush set last year and don't currently have Desert Lightning on my wish list, either. Furthermore, I skipped Destiny's Bounty and Ultra Sonic Raider in 2012 (in part because my younger brother got those sets), but did buy Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty last year and Ultra Stealth Raider this year.

I don't have a problem skipping sets if they don't excite me or feel similar to something I already have, and as a kid I felt the same way (it honestly surprises me sometimes looking back and seeing how many sets from themes I enjoyed as a kid I didn't get). For every Ninjago set that comes out that feels like a concept we've seen before, there tend to be three or four that are more novel/original. On the other hand, if I were a newcomer to Ninjago and had missed those earlier bike sets, I might've felt much more excited for newer sets like them, and would appreciate them being available — sort of like how I felt about the Destiny's Bounty and USR redesigns.

I agree, Destiny's Shadow is a pretty original idea for a set. As far as boats go, we've had the two versions of Destiny's Bounty and the speedboat and ghost ship from City of Stiix, but we haven't had a skiff/river boat like this, particularly one that flies! It looks like it'd be a great companion piece to Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty.

Part of me really wishes that LEGO would wait to release spoiler heavy product until after the corresponding season has aired.

That spoiler with Acronix is a doozy, and very unfortunate to have it already spoiled even before the show airs.

20 hours ago, Karateduo1 said:

I can confirm, Vermillion attack can combine with the Iron Doom Structure.

That's great news!  I also bought my son Vermillion Attack for Christmas!

19 hours ago, amazingbricks said:

Unfortunately, the set won't be opened until tomorrow!  My comments were based on my observations of the box and the video review on YouTube.  If you want to see the twins faces, there are now a couple of reviews on YouTube that show them off in glorious HD!

Catching up a bit, but dang if the Dragon's Forge isn't pretty nifty! I posted in the 2016 thread about architecture-based sets, and I might just jump on this one. The building is quite nice, I actually really like the dragon this time around, and even the snake guys aren't too bad. Interesting use of bigfig arms on the snake construct - I don't think I've seen Lego add those parts to an otherwise brickbuilt model before.

Idle question for the OP - why are the hollow-stud 1x1s 'Apollo studs'?

1 hour ago, Ceir said:

Catching up a bit, but dang if the Dragon's Forge isn't pretty nifty! I posted in the 2016 thread about architecture-based sets, and I might just jump on this one. The building is quite nice, I actually really like the dragon this time around, and even the snake guys aren't too bad. Interesting use of bigfig arms on the snake construct - I don't think I've seen Lego add those parts to an otherwise brickbuilt model before.

Idle question for the OP - why are the hollow-stud 1x1s 'Apollo studs'?

The Green NRG Dragon from this year arguably used bigfig arms even more creatively, as muscular pectoral muscles on the dragon itself!

As for "Apollo studs", that's actually a weird case. Tim Johnson from the site The New Elementary mistakenly called them that in a review after having misheard someone describing one as "a hollow stud" and thinking "Apollo stud" was an official or unofficial nickname for that part. And for a lot of people, Tim's accidental name stuck. :tongue:

12 hours ago, LegendsOfNinjago said:

actually Krux only has one face. I just picked It up from my TRU.

That's actually pretty neat. At least just one twin got spoiled. 

But we still know what the second twin's hair looks like. So we'll probably know who the twin is by the first half of the season.

Edited by gamejutzu

These may or may not be the names of the movie sets....

70606 Jay’s Electro Waver

70607 Titanium Turbo

70608 Samurai Stealth Takedown

70609 Master’s Dojo

70610 Nya’s Water Brigade

70611 Dragon’s Cove

70612 Spinjitzu Sanctuary

70613 Ninja Wake Run

70614 Kai’s Blazing Breaker

70615 Rai Mech

70616 Krypt of the Cave

70617 Backstreet Break-in

70618 Shadow Legion Ambush

70620 Ninjago City Invasion

32 minutes ago, Lego_Rain said:

70607 Titanium Turbo

70609 Master’s Dojo

70611 Dragon’s Cove

70613 Ninja Wake Run

70615 Rai Mech

70616 Krypt of the Cave

Is Rai Mech a typo for Kai Mech or is it Rai Mech?

1 hour ago, Lego_Rain said:

70607 Titanium Turbo

70609 Master’s Dojo

70611 Dragon’s Cove

70613 Ninja Wake Run

70615 Rai Mech

70616 Krypt of the Cave

I kinda doubt they're real, I don't think Zane will be titanium in the movie, and I don't think Nya will be a water Ninja in the movie.