Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

Great and exciting sets! Loving the swamp setting, the new "Hands of Time" logo, and especially the new banner featuring Kai and Nya! This is Nya's first time appearing on the top banner and she definitely makes an impression!

The new ninja costumes are fantastic, using deeper hues for the main costume, black for the sleeves and shoulder pads, and the ninja's normal bright primary colors only for accents like the masks. It manages to feel very distinct from both the black-heavy costumes from fall 2015/spring 2016 and the brighter costumes from this fall and previous years. I get flashbacks to the "Metru Nui" years of Bionicle which used many of the same colors (Dark Red, Earth Blue, Earth Green, Dark Stone Grey, and silver).

It's great to get Kai and Nya's parents in a set, and foreshadows learning more about them in this upcoming season of the show. Their forge is brilliant — the architecture feels very stylish, it's well furnished, and I love how it opens and closes up so neatly! Plus, that fusion dragon for Kai and Nya — wow!

The Vermillion and their grimly-colored, wedge-like vehicles have a really unique aesthetic even if they're revisiting the "snake" concept for the third time. I'm curious to learn what their story role is. Like my brother I'm excited for what look to be copper pieces!

The Destiny's Shadow is pretty sweet in its own right, taking many cues from Destiny's Bounty but this time in a smaller skiff rather than a full-size ship. I'm curious how those wings are held together under the sails.

Dawn of Iron Doom is pretty interesting and seems like it'll be this wave's "final battle" set, with the bad guys using whatever this year's collectibles are to power that clock in the center. It includes hair pieces for those two baddies in the hoods, so I guess they're important characters.

The biggest disappointment I have here is that some sets (especially the smaller ones) seem light on action features. But there's definitely space in the bigger sets that there might be action features I just can't see, so I look forward to seeing more pictures!

Random observation: while Wu appears to use the same general design as the Day of the Departed version, he has a Brick Yellow (tan) hat — the first time his hat's been that color since 2012!

42 minutes ago, makoy said:

I like them. I'm going to stick to buying only playsets though... so I am so glad that the smallest and the biggest set is a playset. 

On a side note, It's a pattern for TLG to distribute minifigures with and without armour ... and I don't like it. On the surface it can encourage buying every sets to complete the "unique" minifigures with and without armour but I think Ninjago collectors should be smart enough to notice that it is just a gimmick. 

The black shoulder armor is common enough that I don't really have a problem with it in this case… if it were an all new shoulder armor piece, or in an all new color, I might be more bothered by certain sets not including it. Generally in my collection I just try to collect the most iconic versions of each ninja costume — the Character Encyclopedias generally don't count figs with identical printing but different shoulder armor or headgear as discrete characters, and neither do I.

I'm liking the bad guys in this wave, definitely picking up a few sets. I wish the forge didn't have that big dragon with it as it doesn't do much for me. 

Anyone else get a serious Nod vibe from the Vermillion vehicles? (From Command & Conquer, specifically Tiberium Sun for me)

I like how Nya has a dedicated vehicle that we see her using. Technically the one in the Nindroid Mechdragon set is her's, but she never piloted it. 

Which reminds me, can you put two people on it like the one in 2014? Like on the miniguns maybe? I don't see any other unique placement. Also, that vehicle is hollow. Is it detachable?

EDIT: The vehicle is hollow because the whole thing has physics! Like Cole's Tread Assault!

Like others here i'm gonna wait for Ninjago movie sets, but I really like the minifigs and their new pieces. So i'll get Vermillion Attack and Destiny's Shadow (even though it has the same problem as Raid Zeppelin). Then I can get a healthy amount of the new content released. Also, the glider in that  set looks like a Vermillion head, that's cool.

And for anyone who watches the show, we should try and forget about those rogues. If we meet a new character with one of those hair pieces in the show, we'll know immediately it's them, goodbye plot twist and clever writing.

EDIT: Wait wait wait guys, I found a link! Samurai XVL is driving the vehicle, so we assume it belongs to them right? And as we know, that vehicle looks extremely similar to the one in the Nindroid Mechdragon set, which we know Nya created. There's a link wandering around!

Edited by gamejutzu

I might just grab the Samurai VXL. The vehicle has a surprising number of good parts and I wouldn't have to bricklink the new Nya variant. Do we have any confirmed prices?

1 minute ago, Takanuinuva said:

I might just grab the Samurai VXL. The vehicle has a surprising number of good parts and I wouldn't have to bricklink the new Nya variant. Do we have any confirmed prices?

Not yet, but I'd expect them within a week or two.

Decent wave for Ninjago this time around, although I don't like it as much as last year's stuff. As Aanchir noted, the sets seem to be lacking action features, which is usually the focal point of your average Lego set. Not too thrilled with a third run of snake villains, but some of them, like the brown ones, look great. 

I think the Ninjago Movie is going to come at the perfect time for Ninjago because as of right now they seem to be running out of steam with the current plot. I think a reboot will work wonders and lead to plenty of new ideas. :classic:

5 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

no but aren't Lego sets 5 cents per piece? (in some places)

Nice to see some official pics!  The Vermillion look to be animated piles of snakes inside suits of armor.  They look great and I like the look of their weapons.

Vermillion Attack looks like a nice set in its price range.  3 minifigs in a set this size...unheard of? 

Desert Lightning (Wait, isn't this season supposed to take place in a swamp? :wacko:) is a rehash of several earlier wave sets.  The Vermillion bike is nice though.

Destiny's Shadow has a cupholder in the cockpit.  Nice.  Looks like the "wings" can retract under the hull of the boat.

Vermillion Invader looks good.  Hopefully, it isn't all rickety like the tank bike in Overborg Attack.  In addition to the catapults, it looks like the tank has some kind of stud-shooting function (given the ammo included in the pic), but I can't tell where they are mounted.

Samurai VXL looks like a cross between the Ninja Tumbler and the vehicle from the Mechdragon set.  I think it has a splitting function with the cockpit and guns detach to form a flyer?

Dawn of Iron Doom and Dragon Forge are both very impressive looking.

I agree with Aanchir though in that it looks like we have another wave with sets that are seriously lacking in action features.  It's very hard to tell what many of models can "do".  Hopefully, set descriptions will shed some light on that. 

Anyone know the release dates?

The Dawn of Iron Doom really looks impressive, but it's a shame that the structure-prison looks terrible! The two headed dragon is also very nice! 

Kind of a shame but I think the highlight of this wave are the mini-figs though.

1 hour ago, RetroInferno said:

The Dawn of Iron Doom really looks impressive, but it's a shame that the structure-prison looks terrible! The two headed dragon is also very nice! 

Kind of a shame but I think the highlight of this wave are the mini-figs though.

I quite like the structure. Reminds me of part of the City of Stixx. Really interested in the overall story line of these sets.

I hope Kia and Nya's parents stay permenently. I agree, the figures sell this wave. i probably won't buy the Desert Bike thing. I'll get Jay in the Iron Dawn set. I'm interested to see the features on some of these sets now that you guys are all mentioning them.

the VXL is probably the one im most intregued about. Its visibly off kilter in the box art.

Snakes everywhere :laugh:

Is that a new snake piece or rather a new half a snake piece? My prediction is that it will show up in a modular building soon, maybe next year in grey as a decoration on the roof or similar :grin:

I'm realy impressed with the swamp theme as a whole and my favourite set is dragons  forge, closely followed by dawn of iron doom and the vimillian attack. All awesome sets in my opinion. 

The only set I don't like is desert lightning as it's realy ordinary and boring.

Overall, a great wave in my opinion, the best yet!

The lego fan.

This is an ok wave to me - nothing special, but seeing that shot of Samurai VXL's car steering is really bringing back fun memories of 6895 Spy Trak from Space Police. If the function is as fun as that one was, I think there's a winner!

Minifigure's are incredible. The sets themself are better then I thought they would be. Dragon Forge is definitely the best set of the wave. I would say this wave is better then The Final Battle, Pilot, Tournament Of Elements, and Rise Of The Snakes sets. But not as good as the Rebooted, Day Of The Departed, Skybound, or Possession sets.

I expect I'll end up getting some of the smaller sets for the Vermillion minifigs.

Edited by kaiju

I'm so disappointed in the lack of variation for these vermillion.. They all look the same.. Probably gonna only pickup the rogue figs, as they are the only ones to catch my eye. 

You might wanna check out the video that I made:  -snip-

Edited by Ecclesiastes
byebye video for view count boosting...

These are spectacular! All of the sets are so different from anything we've seen before! They look like a mix of the Rise of the Snakes sets and the Tournament of Elements sets!

70621 - It's great for being a small (probably $13) set and those Vermillion figures are awesome!

70622 - Pretty much a copy of the motorcycle set from last year. Vermillion are good but Jay should've had his armor.

70623 - Very unique and I like it! I wonder how or if it will be shown on the show. Vermillion and Cole are good but again Lloyd should've had his armor.

70624 - This set is... ok. The only significant part for me is the inclusion of Zane. The... uh... motorcycle is good but it just doesn't catch my eye.

70625 - Amazing! I love this set! Figures are great and the updated vehicle from Rebooted is cool, I like the color scheme. I wonder if the character driving the VXL is someone in armor or a robot designed by Nya.

70626 - Interesing... the vehicle/mech is awesome! Has anyone noticed the clock on it's chest and the fact that the new thingys for the season attach to it? Wu gets trapped again. Figures are good. Is Dr. Saunders one of the rouges? Also are the rouges the main villains of the season or the vermillion?

70627 - Easily my favorite set of the wave. Figures are spectacular. I'm glad we're getting figures for Kai and Nya's parents. Dragon is cool (still waiting on a dragon for Cole and separate dragons for Kai and Nya because I'm greedy) but the forge is easily my favorite part of the set. Its fully enclosed, which isn't very common for Ninjago sets, and it opens. I like the hammer play feature in the center of the forge and the white teapot. Also PRINTED SUSHI PIECE!

I have always thought Ninjago has the best minifigure designs of recent years, and these are no exception. As for sets:

70621: Pretty good for an impulse set, and an easy way to get that amazing villain armor piece. Probably getting this.

70622: Meh. The orange guy looks pretty cool, but Jay's bike looks off to me. Probably pass.

70623: Cool build, but not enough villain to suit my needs. Maybe get this one.

70624: Definitely grabbing this. Cool baddies, cool Zane, reasonable build, looks fairly cheap.

70625: QUOI? A new Samurai? The gorgon looks pretty dope, too. Probably picking this one up.

70626: What can I say? I love me some mecha.

70627: Dragon looks awesome, Kai and Nya's parents are a nice addition, but it looks too expensive for me. Pass.

17 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

they seem to be running out of steam with the current plot. I think a reboot will work wonders and lead to plenty of new ideas. :classic:

Not at all. The writing in the shows and plot is usually kind of good. Maybe concepts can be a bit overlapping, but not the actual plot itself. And also the movie is a spinoff, not a reboot of Ninjago.

70621: Great small set. Kai and two villains, one of which has armor. Getting this.

70622: Boring. Jay's bike looks like a declawed Blade Cycle. The Vermillion vehicle looks really good though, but it's not significant enough to pay around $15 for.

70623: Great build. Cool pieces. That sword looks nice. Getting this for the figures too.

70624: Flashbacks of Garmatron and Warrior Bike. Not getting this, but it looks cool. I wonder what it does, it looks compact.

70625: Nya's vehicle is a great callback to the 2014 side build. I like how it has movement physics, similar to Cole's Tread Assault when you turned it over. But not really interested.

70626: The mech looks cool, we haven't seen something like this since the Epic Dragon Battle. The structure is cool, can lead to inspiration for an moc. The star of the set is the rogue dou. Neat, but I'll pass this one.

70627: Great building. The dragon is okay. I do spot a printed round tile of Nya's symbol on it however. The building lacks space to pose figures. I'm still gonna get this, too nice to pass up. 

2 hours ago, Rookie875 said:

PRINTED SUSHI PIECE!

YES!!!

Edited by gamejutzu