Peppermint_M

LEGO Nexo Knights 2017 Discussion

18 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Where did you find it? It's a polybag wasteland where I live, the only NK polybag I've ever seen here was the Lava Slinger.

That's actually the only one i could not find here in the NL.

The inside of the castle is very disappointing, why were beds chosen to fill the space when I would think a throne room and library would be more appropriate and warranted? Besides, the knights sleep in the Fortrex so what's the point? Eh, just really bad choice on the part of the designer(s). The Merlock 2.0 mech is ... odd looking, I'd much rather have a mostly(or completely) trans-orange minifig. We know they can do it, it's just a matter of if they will. I'm also very disappointed that the Colossus's legs are unposeable. I didn't realize they were prison cells which I guess is neat but they still look pretty bad and they have no way to be re-positioned. I'd much, much rather they had better shaping and could be moved than throw in an extra play feature. Two big design flaws that hamper otherwise really great sets.

Edited by ToaDraco

2 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

The inside of the castle is very disappointing, why were beds chosen to fill the space when I would think a throne room and library would be more appropriate and warranted? Besides, the knights sleep in the Fortrex so what's the point? Eh, just really bad choice on the part of the designer(s)

Well you can always take out the beds and use parts from Merlock's Library to fix that. That's the beauty of Lego. No one design is the best.

14 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

Well you can always take out the beds and use parts from Merlock's Library to fix that. That's the beauty of Lego. No one design is the best.

True, but for as expensive as the set is, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a little more than what we got.

Hope Jestro not the villain of the Nexo Knights next year, I'm enough of him.

Edited by rkastar

1 hour ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

2018 can be the last year for NK, if their sales are not spectacular.... we'll see.

That's not surprising considering that Nexo Knights is "Big Bang" theme which usually last 3 years, same happened with Chima. Ninjago is the only exception.

1 hour ago, benderisgreat said:

That's not surprising considering that Nexo Knights is "Big Bang" theme which usually last 3 years, same happened with Chima. Ninjago is the only exception.

Not the only exception. Friends was technically a "Big Bang" theme and also became "evergreen". But in general, ANY theme (big bang or not) continuing without any real end in sight is largely exceptional. Most themes start with a three year plan at best and are either extended or cancelled based on a year-to-year evaluation of their performance.

I'm wondering whether Macy's dragon being so small was a last-minute decision; the version in the show is not only larger, which would be normal, but uses some very different pieces. For example, the windshield in the show uses a curved windshield instead of a straight one, has skids instead of feet, and has a wrecking ball/mace on its tail (the shield being on its back). Regardless, I definitely know how I'm modding mine.

6 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

2018 can be the last year for NK, if their sales are not spectacular.... we'll see.

NK seems to be selling well, but I've come to terms with next year being the last year of the theme. It can only go so long before it becomes stale, and some people seem to think that it's jumped the shark already. However, I'm not particularly concerned because then we'll get "normal" Castle back, which I am looking forward to. :shrug_oh_well:

Since I like the blend of castle with space, I'd be slightly sad to see Nexo Knights go, but then again, I own only a handful of the smaller sets (which reminds me that I still have to write two reviews...).

Out of the summer sets, I like Aaron's Rock Climber and The Heligoyle the most, but even with these two, I'm not 100% sold.

The Rock Climber has a nice color scheme, good parts selection and the rock monster it comes with is pretty sweet, but I guess the set as a whole will be too pricey for my liking.

This of course applies to The Heligoyle as well, alongside with its rather awkward looking rear section. I like the build of the head and arms though, and the Harpy looks also pretty radical.

On a not really related note: Were any new sets shown utilizing the new hand piece introduced with Mr. Freezer's Mech in the current wave (even if not in the Nexo Knights line)? I'd be bummed if this new neat hand piece won't show up in a color that's more versatile than this particular blue (is it sand blue?).

Edited by ZORK64

2 hours ago, DraikNova said:

I'm wondering whether Macy's dragon being so small was a last-minute decision; the version in the show is not only larger, which would be normal, but uses some very different pieces. For example, the windshield in the show uses a curved windshield instead of a straight one, has skids instead of feet, and has a wrecking ball/mace on its tail (the shield being on its back). Regardless, I definitely know how I'm modding mine.

I want to assume it was a last-minute change given how it also looks in the battle suite instructions with its silhouette matches up with how it looks in the show. I'm almost tempted to build one more accurate to the show but regardless anymore I think I will be getting more then one of the small one cause of its nice selection of parts.

As far as if the theme sticks around or not I would be pleased to see it stick around longer and I want to say some of the sets this year might be stronger then last year, but if the theme goes away after the 3 year plan I am glad its a theme we got none the less. But I know I will be annoyed if Jestro changes back to being good at the end of this year and they make him evil and the villain again. If he stays evil and is the villain again then I'm totally fine with that.

I'd wager that since one of the sets is the Stone Colossus. Monstrux gets all the forbidden powers and is able to become human again. So He'd probably be the main villain of year 3 instead of Jestro.

9 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

NK seems to be selling well, but I've come to terms with next year being the last year of the theme. It can only go so long before it becomes stale, and some people seem to think that it's jumped the shark already.

Same here. I would like it to continue, especially if the Water and Wood monsters a companion book refereed to pan out. I love the new lightning piece and would like to see other "new element pieces", especially for underused elements like water and wood.

I do hope the them lasts longer than the typical 3 years as I'm really enjoying the theme and most of the sets. I think the show has improved a great deal as well. We'll have to wait and see though. I won't be surprised if it doesn't, as Ninjago was kind of a fluke. Aside from that, I'm looking forward to the Colossus, Heligoyle and Stone Destroyer are my most anticipated sets. The last one mostly for the villain and his beast. I could easily see that being the next big bad as he looks awesome with a very Sauron vibe.

Edited by ToaDraco

On 27/02/2017 at 11:24 PM, BrickJagger said:

NK seems to be selling well, but I've come to terms with next year being the last year of the theme. It can only go so long before it becomes stale, and some people seem to think that it's jumped the shark already. However, I'm not particularly concerned because then we'll get "normal" Castle back, which I am looking forward to. :shrug_oh_well:

I dont think its 'jumped the shark' as much as gotten a bit stale by having lava villains the first time and now taking away the fire aspect and just having stone villains for the second year, other than one or two designs (Lord Krakenskull) i'm not interested in any of the villains. If we do get a third year then i'm concerned what the villains would be.

On 2/27/2017 at 6:24 PM, BrickJagger said:

Nexo Knights was launched above the shark.

I'm not too jazzed about the villains in this year's sets, but I do like General Garg and this version of Stone Stomper:

s-l225.jpg

I'm eager to see what's next.  The 2 years have had completely different villain themes, and there have been some minifigures among those that have been impressive.  It will be interesting to see what year 3 brings.  And, if Nexo Knights is only a 3 year theme, it will be very interesting to see what kind of Castle theme follows.  The fantasy villains of Nexo Knights were well received (especially in year 1), so I hope that some of that will make it through into Castle.

Also, can anyone post a picture of Roog without armor?  Can't seem to find one.

250px-70350-roog.png

I think this might be another figure I'd be interested in.

Edited by x105Black

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

Also, can anyone post a picture of Roog without armor?  Can't seem to find one.

250px-70350-roog.png

I think this might be another figure I'd be interested in.

Not a picture but Jang's review shows them unarmored

I think if they had gone with forest and/or ocean villains the theme would have more hype for sustainment beyond the 3 years, but I'm looking at it as an AFOL. I imagine they focus group tested various directions and believe that these purple lighting / rock creatures are more marketable to kids. 

42 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

I think if they had gone with forest and/or ocean villains the theme would have more hype for sustainment beyond the 3 years, but I'm looking at it as an AFOL. I imagine they focus group tested various directions and believe that these purple lighting / rock creatures are more marketable to kids. 

Funnily enough, I was thinking of something similar earlier. As a fan of element based powers, I've always felt there is more merit to the "under used" elements than the overused three (fire, lightning and ice), especially as they require a bit more understanding of the "science" behind it than just "Hit the opponent really hard with Fire/Ice/Lightning". I would like to see Nexo go to four years so they can do a year of water and a year of wood; as I've said elsewhere I'd love to see what new parts they could come up with for those elements. That being said, I do agree with you that to the average kid probably wouldn't have the same level of interest in seeing originality with elements and, like my younger self, wouldn't see how "powerful" water or wood would be.

Nexo Knights has had amazing villains so far. However, I hope next year they have little or nothing to do with rocks. I too wish to see sea/forest monsters as well, since I imagine the vehicles would look quite unique. 

42 minutes ago, Boogly22238 said:

Nexo Knights has had amazing villains so far. However, I hope next year they have little or nothing to do with rocks. I too wish to see sea/forest monsters as well, since I imagine the vehicles would look quite unique. 

Indeed, forest alone has great opportunity for Groot-esk Build-figs, and Sea could see a return of SEATRON!!!

The new battle pack is available on US s@h for $12.99. Since only the Knighton one is listed, does that mean we won't get a Stone Monster pack? Strange and disappointing if that's the case.

8 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

The new battle pack is available on US s@h for $12.99. Since only the Knighton one is listed, does that mean we won't get a Stone Monster pack? Strange and disappointing if that's the case.

It's possible that we could still get one and it just isn't launching at the same time—perhaps it might be released to tie in with the summer sets, for instance. I wouldn't rule something like that out just yet.