1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Of course, there's no telling what direction the Elves theme will head next year. Perhaps this sort of speculation could get its own topic? Obviously up to the mods, but I know a lot of other themes separate speculation/wishlists from the topic about the current year's sets.

I think the theme for next year will be the mermaid. Indeed many films for children will have this theme this winter. (My little pony, barbie etc ...)
In addition, the brief appearance of mermaids in the Netflix movie would be, I think an allusion like the dragon in the Webisodes of Christmas in 2015.
The possibilities are amazing !

And if you look the 2017 map of Elvendale you can see the (Riptide Reef) a no explored zone in ocean.

2 hours ago, Euphorine said:

I think the theme for next year will be the mermaid. Indeed many films for children will have this theme this winter. (My little pony, barbie etc ...)
In addition, the brief appearance of mermaids in the Netflix movie would be, I think an allusion like the dragon in the Webisodes of Christmas in 2015.
The possibilities are amazing !

And if you look the 2017 map of Elvendale you can see the (Riptide Reef) a no explored zone in ocean.

While the Riptide Reef location is unexplored, most years' stories have expanded the area of the map instead of touching on existing landmarks. So while Riptide Reef may hint at the vacant ocean to the south and east of it as a future area of focus (as the desertlands might hint at future content to the west and north), I sort of doubt the reef itself will appear as an element of the story.

Indeed, it's possible. But I don't believe in coincidence. I don't know why LEGO gave a name for not exploiting the area.

Edited by Euphorine

3 hours ago, Euphorine said:

Indeed, it's possible. But I don't believe in coincidence. I don't know why LEGO gave a name for not exploiting the area.

There are plenty of areas on the map that haven't actually been explored—Red Mountain, Enki Island, Ivy Beach, the Highland of Helyan, the Forest of Deep Secrets, and the Desertlands were all shown but unexplored in the first year, as was Shimmering Shore in the second year and the Emerald Mountains, Shimmering Woods, and Riptide Reef this year. But rather than including already revealed locations, each new year's story so far has extended beyond the previous map's boundaries to focus on an all new slate of locations. Don't get me wrong—it's possible that some areas on the borders of the displayed areas like Riptide Reef, the Emerald Mountains, or the Desertlands might hint at the kinds of biomes might lay beyond them to be explored in a future map expansion. I just don't necessarily expect those specific location markers to be expanded upon.

Edited by Lyichir

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There are plenty of areas on the map that haven't actually been explored—Red Mountain, Enki Island, Ivy Beach, the Highland of Helyan, the Forest of Deep Secrets, and the Desertlands were all shown but unexplored in the first year, as was Shimmering Shore in the second year and the Emerald Mountains, Shimmering Woods, and Riptide Reef this year. But rather than including already revealed locations, each new year's story so far has extended beyond the previous map's boundaries to focus on an all new slate of locations. Don't get me wrong—it's possible that some areas on the borders of the displayed areas like Riptide Reef, the Emerald Mountains, or the Desertlands might hint at the kinds of biomes might lay beyond them to be explored in a future map expansion. I just don't necessarily expect those specific location markers to be expanded upon.

You are right. Many named areas are unexplored.

I make theories for 2018 on mermaids and collectible seahorses.

I hope so.  A few dragons are nice to have, but a dragon in every larger set got very tiresome. Time for something else!

But I love this theme, and I can't wait for confirmation that it will continue!

40 minutes ago, Velouria said:

I hope so.  A few dragons are nice to have, but a dragon in every larger set got very tiresome. Time for something else!

But I love this theme, and I can't wait for confirmation that it will continue!

A dragon in every larger set? Neither of this year's biggest sets (the goblin village and fortress) included a dragon, and last year's biggest only included a baby dragon.

I think given dragons' apparent popularity it wouldn't make sense to abandon them completely, though there are still ways they could make them interesting and varied. The Goblin King's Dragon was the first two-legged, wyvern-style dragon—what if a mermaid-focused wave included a legless sea serpent?

5 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

The Goblin King's Dragon was the first two-legged, wyvern-style dragon...

Was I mistaken, or did the Netflix show miss that detail?

6 minutes ago, Bentonton said:

Was I mistaken, or did the Netflix show miss that detail?

Nope, in the Netflix series it definitely had its front claws attached to its wings as it does in the set. Mind you, since it spent most of the series imprisoned, a lot of its appearances still had it on "all fours" sort of like a crawling bat.

6 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Nope, in the Netflix series it definitely had its front claws attached to its wings as it does in the set. Mind you, since it spent most of the series imprisoned, a lot of its appearances still had it on "all fours" sort of like a crawling bat.

Ah, that makes sense.

Images have leaked for the 2018 wave. Lavender little dragon/wyvern, brick built turtle and large cat with new head molds.

2 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

Images have leaked for the 2018 wave. Lavender little dragon/wyvern, brick built turtle and large cat with new head molds.

Could you quote your source? where are the pictures available?

2 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

OK! Thanks! Great news with new animals. 

But can you tell us which color is the turtle? Green? 

And the cat? Brick built too, like Tigrou creator? Or a small friends cat? Or a larger one,  jungle city style? 

Just now, Euphorine said:

Could you quote your source? where are the pictures available?

Hi! How are you? 

French girls in the place! 

I think it is a leak catalog 

Teasing is killing us :) 

Edited by sousmarineuse
Forget words

Just now, sousmarineuse said:

OK! Thanks! Great news with new animals. 

But can you tell us which color is the turtle? Green? 

And the cat? Brick built too, like Tigrou creator? Or a small friends cat? Or a larger one,  jungle city style? 

Similar to the Elves Dragons. There's a green wolf as well, uses the same head as the lion/big cat. Turtle's shell is made blue bricks, looks like gold accent pieces. Legs and head are aqua, I'd guess. Looks like a new bat piece, similar to this year's goblins.

This is great news!! Can't wait to see new sets! What may you say about new color scheme? Is there also some houses or castles?

15 minutes ago, K_Tiger said:

Similar to the Elves Dragons. There's a green wolf as well, uses the same head as the lion/big cat. Turtle's shell is made blue bricks, looks like gold accent pieces. Legs and head are aqua, I'd guess. Looks like a new bat piece, similar to this year's goblins.

There a re a couple of structure builds, a small house with the lavender wyvern, and then a castle tower-like build with the green wolf. No big buildings, I'm afraid.
 at the risk of getting my account smoked, pics are over on 4Chan. They're worth a thousand words.

There also looks to be a new villain for Elves, a bat-themed woman named Noctura. She's in the set called something like "Nocturna's Tower and the Rescue of the Earth Fox." The set also comes with Farran and the brick-built earth fox.

Emily has a giant bird guardian, Naida has a turtle guardian, Azari has a fire lion, and Aira has a wind dragon.

For the first time, I successfully found something on 4chan. That place...

Honestly, the sets look disappointing. I know the pictures are just prelims, so hopefully they improve significantly IRL.

The villainess looks decent, her castle/tower looks promising. I'm not a huge fan of the bat-mites. The large animal heads (and builds) are off-putting.

I saw the leaks thanks to the almighty @Lordofdragonss ! (as usual, PM for free hugs)

There are five sets total, and the theme is elemental beasts vs. little things that look like bats. (And one shadow elf lady)

Smallest set is Emily on a white/gold eagle + small bit of Halloween style terrain + a batgoblin chasing her on a small flyer. Emily holds a book.

Next biggest one is Naida + a bit of water terrain + a big blue turtle (with Friends baby turtle in pale blue) + batgoblin on a small flyer. Naida holds some kind of wand.

Aira gets a small wyvern that seems to reuse Gust's head. There's also a new female wind elf and an interesting elven-style building. batgoblin + flyer that looks a tiny airship (adorable!) Aira holds a bow and the new elf, a torch with wind blowing from it (this year's swirly piece in trans light blue (?))

Azari GETS A FIERY TIGER YO + two batgoblins with some machine on wheels to capture the tiger, and a tiny bit of terrain with a spiderweb. Azari holds a hammer.

Biggest set: evil tower with lots of black, some dark teal color and yellow (might be fluo green) there are mushrooms sprouting from the sides which reminds me of World of Warcraft's Zangarmarsh. The set also has Farran riding a large green fox and holding a shield with earth symbol. Female Dark Elf antagonist + 2 batgoblins.

All sets have new head molds for the animals, except wind beast which used old dragon head and Emily's eagle which is all brickbuilt.

Now that we have something more concrete to discuss than "there will be sets", maybe we need a Lego Elves 2018 discussion topic...

I get some Chima vibes from the new sets, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Some of my favorite Chima sets were the Legend Beasts, and these guardian creatures are in many cases even bigger, more streamlined, and more impressive than those were. Beyond that, despite things like Emily's sword and crossbow or Aira's boomerang not actually featuring in the show, the idea of giving the Elves weapons seems to have caught on, because in these new sets they're even more heavily armed! Their new weapons are creatively built and given their distinctiveness compared to the more generic weapon pieces used in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they feature in the story. It's quite neat how well the weapons fit the characters' personalities — Aira's bow is probably the most mechanically intricate, Naida's staff ties in with her strong magical abilities, Azari's hammer suits her tough and assertive personality, and Farran's shield reinforces how he's at his strongest when he's caring for or supporting others.

It's interesting that these seem to cover basically an entire story arc, instead of certain content being obviously absent that might be saved for a second wave. I hope that means that it's going to a Ninjago-like model of separate story arcs for each wave, rather than meaning that this will be the Elves theme's final wave. :look:

We only get a couple buildings this time around, but I love how distinctive they both are. The largest set definitely has some kind of Technic function, which probably partly accounts for its 9–12 target age. Love the big mushrooms in that set as well! On that note: I have a hard time telling if that bluish green color on so much of the enemy stuff in this wave is just Dark Azur or if it's possibly a return of Bright Bluish Green (Dark Turquoise/Teal)? Normally I'm quite cynical about the possibility of older colors returning, but Bright Bluish Green has been used for textile elements not too long ago, and these parts look slightly more greenish than the Azurs often tend to look in renders.