Sign in to follow this  
Actor Builder

The Life of A Minifigure

With the new baby pieces LEGO has produced in 2016, I had to wonder:

How do Minifigures age? Besides their torsos and arms cracking, I mean.

Do they start as baby figures and then get short legs and then get normal legs and then they're an adult?

Or do the babies stay babies forever, the children stay children forever, and the adults stay adults forever?

Or perhaps something else entirely.

YOU DECIDE!

Actually, don't. We'll all just discuss it. It's not for one person to decide.

Or do the babies stay babies forever, the children stay children forever, and the adults stay adults forever?

This

Minifigures don't age. They look exactly the same for all time. If you pull off a part and replace it (such as a head or hair) then it is a different minifig. It may be an updated representation of the same character / person, but it is a different minifig.

They age backwards. Duh. Thats why the adults came first, followed by the children and the babies.

So, Benjamin Button was a minifig! Another Mystery Solved!

Minifigures are whatever age you want them to be and get older (or younger!) however you want them to. You could even have some of them getting older, others getting younger and yet others staying the same age - all within the same collection. And they may not age (or rejuvenate) at the same rate.

It's analogous to fictional characters. The Fantastic 4, for example, were created in 1961. If they were in their 30s at the time, they would now be in their 80s or 90s. But in the 2015 film, they were young people. In the case of the Fantastic 4, it's down to Marvel or whoever has the film rights to decide how old they are. In the case of your minifigures, it's down to you.

Even if your minifigures represent established characters, it's up to you how old they are. If you want your Galadriel minifigure to be a stroppy teen, that's what she is. It doesn't really matter that she's thousands of years old by the time of the Lord of the Rings story unless you're trying to be canonical.

Of course you could have old and young versions of the same character. Obi Wan, Leia, and Han Solo come to mind for Star Wars.

A Lego minifg is sort of like an elf from Tolkein's world. They do not appear to age (apart from possible cracking, discoloration, or scratches), but they are not exactly immortal either. A rough owner, pet, or other unfortunate circumstances could spell the end for them.

Minifigures don't age. They look exactly the same for all time. If you pull off a part and replace it (such as a head or hair) then it is a different minifig. It may be an updated representation of the same character / person, but it is a different minifig.

So by mixing up minifigures, we're in effect killing the old ones?

That's so sad. Oh well, they'll get over it.

Minifigures are whatever age you want them to be and get older (or younger!) however you want them to.

My Baby figure is immortal and 10,000 years old.

They age backwards. Duh. Thats why the adults came first, followed by the children and the babies.

This is the most logical conclusion. Taking this further, the order would be something like this:

Minifigure

Short Figure

Big Figure

Tall Figure (Toy Story Style)

Toddler

Small Swaddled Baby

Medium Baby

That's a messed up timeline. It doesn't even take Fabuland into account...

There are just some things that mankind is not supposed to ever know. Don't pick this apple, Adam...

Too late.

Love the hashtags for this topic :grin:

Gee, thanks! I worked oh so hard on them. :laugh:

Mine find but a brief existence before, dismembered, they find themselves buried in a mass grave until one or another body part proves itself worthy. Taking a new form, life returns for a few precious moments, bright lights flash and then the reincarnated minifig is hastily forced to take part in the whole gruesome ceremony anew, there to await in perpetuity until its limbs again find purpose...

We do have a few examples from Star Wars of characters who have minifigures at different ages:

- Anakin Skywalker (kid through adult)

- Boba Fett (kid and adult)

- Obi-Wan Kenobi (young adult through old man)

- Han Solo (remember, he has a kid version packed into a DVD, plus adult and old man)

- Princess Leia (young adult and old lady)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other lines where the characters age.

The minifigures all worship a mysterious council of Gods called the Company of Leh-Go, which fashions every person in a particular design and gives them life when they are assembled from a mysterious sacred pictorial text known as the "Instruction Manual" handed down by the Gods.

They also believe in a strange gigantic being who acts as an overlord over all of their lives, willing to destroy and re-construct any building around them (or steal your body parts and connect them to another person), and therefore worthy of worship and fear. This Overlord, minifigure legend says, is not only massive, but tends to have freakish digits known as "fingers" instead of proper claws, which the Overlord uses to govern their day-to-day lives.

The minifigures all worship a mysterious council of Gods called the Company of Leh-Go, which fashions every person in a particular design and gives them life when they are assembled from a mysterious sacred pictorial text known as the "Instruction Manual" handed down by the Gods.

They also believe in a strange gigantic being who acts as an overlord over all of their lives, willing to destroy and re-construct any building around them (or steal your body parts and connect them to another person), and therefore worthy of worship and fear. This Overlord, minifigure legend says, is not only massive, but tends to have freakish digits known as "fingers" instead of proper claws, which the Overlord uses to govern their day-to-day lives.

Quite so. I'm glad someone brought religion into this.

I've always figured that the minifigures worship (Out of fear) Brick Seperators.

Uh oh he's said too much. If TLG comes knocking on your door for delving into questions better left unknown then that's your own fault