Last week I was caught up in the internet moment and requested a topic for the 100th LUGNuts Build Challenge. It was a momentary lack of wisdom.

I requested random number 27, and I was tasked to build any year Porsche 911 or a 2015 Jaguar F-Type. This being the Technic year of the Porsche, I, of course, decided to do the 911.

I have 13 days to finish the project. I'm not sure it will happen, but the process will be fun.

I'll try to post the process here daily, and if I don't finish in time, maybe I'll end with a pretty good MOC.

WIP 1

24749722940_3ab08ce8bc_c.jpg

WIP 2

24749727960_54faaef4df_c.jpg

Tonight I'll place the steering wheel and HOG.

Here we go...

It looks promising. I'm fan of rear end boxer motor and now I'm planning to bulid bigger brother of my TC9 entry, so I wonder, how you'll make it :)

Some more progress last night. The steering is mostly set, and I have started adding some placeholders for the body work. There are still come chassis opportunities, but I'll add those once the bodywork is a little more progressed.

Off to the seats and bumpers tonight. 12 days left...

Also, OCTAN Colors!

WIP 3

24939667572_9d5231e64f_c.jpg

Looking rather good, I like how the headlights instantly give it the 911 look :laugh: . Which 911 are you going for? Judging by the width of the rear axle I'm guessing it'll be a Porsche 930.

Also, OCTAN Colors!

Agreed, OCTAN Colors!

Looking rather good, I like how the headlights instantly give it the 911 look :laugh: . Which 911 are you going for? Judging by the width of the rear axle I'm guessing it'll be a Porsche 930.

Glad you like it.

I think it will either be an 1976 935 or a 964 Turbo/Club Racer. 930 has too much noise on the front and rear bumper.

Awesome so far,. Looks pretty compact aswell,. And great choice, the 935 is defenitely one of my fav 911's.

This is coming along nicely, and I am now confident this will get done in time.

The mechanics are finalized. The steering works well, as does the suspension. The transmission is working better as I finished a full mounting redesign last night. I added the driver's seat, and the bumpers are now placed. I am pleased with how the bulged wheel arches turned out.

I'll finalized the bumpers tonight, and draft the rear quarter panels and headlight nubs. I think I have settled on a Club Racer version of 964. Styling help would be welcome at this point.

WIP 4

25078771815_ce5d510001_c.jpg

The bodywork is becoming more final, though many of the parts are placeholders at this time. I raised the roof by a stud, worked on the quarterpanels, and the hood area. While I like the headlight nubs, the center part of the hood looks a little wonky to me. I'll see if I can find a better solution. I might modify the front and rear bumper a little, but to my eyes they work pretty well.

At this point, I am interested in suggestions and critique on the bodywork. Any thoughts are helpful.

Tonight I'll finalize the doors, and the A, B, and C pillars. I think it will be done this weekend.

WIP 5

24982171452_3715c7236a_c.jpg

At this point, I am interested in suggestions and critique on the bodywork. Any thoughts are helpful.

Nice promising build made in such short time, I really like it :thumbup: !

I would try to make a round shaped roof by using only beams, then use longer flex axles as C pillars going all the way through them. The long axles could be an issue, I recently was lucky to get some on ebay (found nothing like 16L or 19L on BL).

Nice promising build made in such short time, I really like it :thumbup: !

I would try to make a round shaped roof by using only beams, then use longer flex axles as C pillars going all the way through them. The long axles could be an issue, I recently was lucky to get some on ebay (found nothing like 16L or 19L on BL).

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try. The issue might be having a firm mount from the roof to the chassis. Maybe I don't need that. I'll see what I can develop, and report back.

You really seem to like the Octan color scheme :D Good job!

Yeah, Octan just looks faster.

Last night I spent most of my time working to lower the front suspension by a stud. It was a lot of work, but now the center part of the hood can be a little more accurate.

The hood shape is complex. Working on such a distinct area of such an iconic car is challenging. I don't envy the designers of 42056. Actually, being able to design my own panels would be great right now.

So, which hood do you like better? The top two pictures, or the bottom two pictures?

WIP 6

25119829035_ac547832bd_c.jpg

I needed a break from the hood, so last night I worked on the rear bumper, tailgate, and roof. I have made some improvements that I like. There are some color issues I'll resolve.

I'm not sure if I like the new roof. It's built on flexible hoses, which make a nice curve, but there is very little support. We'll see what I settle on.

WIP 7

24843834450_f85707d0f2_c.jpg

What if you sacrifice a little of the curve and move the 5l beam up one stud to connect with the roof (di 6l thin lift arms exist in white?)? That should give you some strength. Or attach the roof to the roll cage.

The whole shape looks nice. I like the top pictures of the hood better. Just need some filler at the back of the arch near where the door attaches.

I'm pretty close to being done. I'll work a little more on the interior and engine details, and I'll replace a couple of parts with the correct color. I also need to clean up those rear fenders.

Thanks for the feedback on the hood. I like how it turned out. The roof could use a little more curve, but I feel better about the compromise I made. More feedback is welcome.

WIP 8

25042155452_d93077c05b_c.jpg

The area around bumpers and skirts looks to be very nice. Rear fenders look to be missing something, when model is shown like on a last picture. Look from the back is great!

The area around bumpers and skirts looks to be very nice. Rear fenders look to be missing something, when model is shown like on a last picture. Look from the back is great!

I agree with you about the fenders. I think I found a better solution, but it's still not perfect.

Thanks all for the feedback. The MOC is done, and I'll post it prior to the weekend.

I'm a little late, but I finished the 911 Cup Car.

Much more is at thirdwigg.com. The full gallery may be found at Flickr, and the video on

. Thanks for all the suggestions as I went through the build.

24647970284_82497e13e1_c.jpg

Chassis

25160346862_a493cd0141_c.jpg

Interior

24982995140_2bf0768b52_c.jpg

Great job Thirdwigg, it was rather nice seeing your progress!

P.S: That 8880 shift plate is seriously in need of whitening. I recently did a lot of it with h2o2 and I strongly recommend it.

Great job Thirdwigg, it was rather nice seeing your progress!

P.S: That 8880 shift plate is seriously in need of whitening. I recently did a lot of it with h2o2 and I strongly recommend it.

Agreed. I just can't seem to part with the sticker on it which cleaning might damage. I need to get over that, and clean it.