00.jpg

Long time ago a firend of mine said that there are no models of flying/floating models in Tehcnic line. Flying ones are seen quite often these days, but what about floating ones?

14615689097_b3dfa2d3ed_c.jpg

8839 Supply Ship by Brickset, on Flickr

I have decided to give it a try. Here it is:

800x565.jpg

Maybe this way?

01.jpg_thumb.jpg 02.jpg_thumb.jpg 03.jpg_thumb.jpg 04.jpg_thumb.jpg

The ship itself was a interesting set, with working propellers and steering. Original set used these parts:

2745.jpg

But they are out of production, so I have been forced to use similiar parts.

They were linked with steering knob and rear wheels:

05.jpg_thumb.jpg

10.jpg_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of flex parts in the set, but contest models could be built only with parts produced after year 2000.

12.jpg_thumb.jpg

Rest of the functions are located around crane arm:

06.jpg_thumb.jpg 07.jpg_thumb.jpg 08.jpg_thumb.jpg

11.jpg_thumb.jpg 13.jpg_thumb.jpg 14.jpg_thumb.jpg

I had some fun with the cab, becuase I have very small pile of white pieces, and I didn't wanted to have too many gaps on it.

09.jpg_thumb.jpg

Here's how it works:

This model also have an instructions:

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

800x565.jpg

Can be downloaded from HERE.

Parts list on Rebrickable

Comparision of old & new:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Brickshelf

Bricksafe

Edited by M_longer

Total agree with that :wub::thumbup:

Nice to see that ship building master likes my version of Technic set :)

It is amazing, could be a TLG set

I'd change few things, but it is quite sturdy and modular, so, maybe...

I love this! :wub::thumbup: I like ships and I (obviously :laugh:) like Technic, so this is really cool! It inspires me to give building a watercraft a go some time, I have a cool idea in mind involving the 42042 crawler crane and an excavator :wink:

Wow, very cute and a modern twin brother of good old 8839. the latter one is already on my shelf and your incarnation will be in near future. I have already ordered some few missing parts

BTW: thank you for free BI, very nice!

But: in the part list onto last 3 pages all white parts are missing!

But: in the part list onto last 3 pages all white parts are missing!

:O

Ouch, how that happened? Thank you, I will re-upload the instructions soon.

M_Longer, thank You for amazing MOCs. My son will glad to build this ship. We have 98% of parts.

This little foray into the world of resurrecting old sets to the world of studless is really bringing back some good ol' memories. Very well done!

Yeah - would have been a good contest theme here at EB too... ;-)

For example 8846(!), 8848 or 851 in modern studless would be great - but especially for the latter one i doubt anyone can build this beauty more cute than the original... still (IMHO) best looking tractor....simply build with some bricks and (few) axles and (few) gears...

Thank you for this great recreation :D One of my favorite sets so this is a must build :) Will add a metal hook :)

851 in modern studless would be great - but especially for the latter one i doubt anyone can build this beauty more cute than the original... still (IMHO) best looking tractor....simply build with some bricks and (few) axles and (few) gears...

Check this one, made by one of the contestants:

25028525405_d8ffa1361c_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

This LUGPol contest is generating some great builds, and is facilitating some great nostalgia. I love this design. It is faithful to the original, and using some great new parts to make it the boat feel current. Great work.

Check this one, made by one of the contestants:

25028525405_d8ffa1361c_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

very very well done - yes - but as said above - not as cute as the original...at least IMHO, so the tractor is very well made but IMHO not at par with the original... whereas your ship reincarnation is even (slightly) superior than the original...

Currently building this ship. Great building experience, clever part usage, clean design. Very well done. Ehen finished i will post a pic: old and new together...

BTW: is there anywhere a site where i could take a look at all entries of your LUG contest?

Currently building this ship. Great building experience, clever part usage, clean design. Very well done. Ehen finished i will post a pic: old and new together...

I would love to see both side by side made from real bricks :)

BTW: is there anywhere a site where i could take a look at all entries of your LUG contest?

Yes:

http://www.lugpol.pl...pic.php?t=26706

http://www.lugpol.pl...pic.php?t=26707

http://www.lugpol.pl...pic.php?t=26708

well, 8865 and 8848 are also very cute and really well done - together with the 851 tractor and your two models....

as promised here comes the old and its twin brother in studless (sry for bad pics, shot with iPhone with bad light):

1280x749.jpg

1280x866.jpg

1280x745.jpg

very good build, M_longer! Your drivetrain for the propellers works way smoother than the somehow modiocre designed of the old model - nevertheless the old ships was one of the better mid-size technic models and ennobels the shelf of each technic lover

BTW: for slewing i had to slightly modify your model because i have overseen that you have used the new 60th turntable and not the old one... i didn't want to sacrify the Arocs so i used an old turntable - but this can't be driven by a bevel gear - so i have choosen a black 24th gear which drives the turntable as a thumb-wheel... works well too and looks also good.