CopMike

75098 Assault on Hoth

The front line with the mounted guns and satellite guns are nice and I like the mustachioed faces. The price though is staggering and the rest of the set doesn't have enough wow factor to justify it. For that price there should be an AT-ST in there somewhere as well...

I'm in the minority, it seems.... But I absolutely love this set :wub: I think it will go well with the 2011 Echo Base set which I own. The price is a bit steep, but I think it's gonna be a must buy for me!

I'm in the minority, it seems.... But I absolutely love this set :wub: I think it will go well with the 2011 Echo Base set which I own. The price is a bit steep, but I think it's gonna be a must buy for me!

I think it was a good idea to kind of mash up all those sets people skipped or missed in one coherent design ( old mini-figs aged poorly when mixed with the new designs ) but on the other side it doesn't really offers anything special to those who already own most of the old sets.

Ultimatly the price is what damages it most, unless you are sitting on some 50-60$ worth of VIP points.

Why is this collection of small and medium builds worthy of being a UCS set?

To be honest I'm slightly disappointed after many months of waiting for detailed information. Everything feels so disconnected. In comparison a great set such as the Ewok Village would've been more deserving of being part of the UCS.

Great '4 in 1' superpack ! :wacko:

Price seems ridiculous since there is no special stuff in the set. Was expecting something great but we got a play set which is basically a few smaller sets thrown together.

Yeah I was hoping for a larger Echo Base; the Wampa Cave, the turrets, the Ion Cannon, and the Shield Generator all seem superfluous.

Why is this collection of small and medium builds worthy of being a UCS set? . . . Everything feels so disconnected.

I don't totally understand the repeated criticism of it having multiple component builds. That's exactly what I expected. It is Echo Base, after all, which is a primarily underground facility with four iconic features above the surface: a hangar bay door, a giant ion cannon, a shield generator, and a defensive line of trenches and turrets. So of course it's going to be a bit disjointed if it's going to hit each iconic feature. It's not like they're going to come out with a set with 4000 white bricks so you can build a subterranean base that connects everything with tunnels (as much as I would like that). I like the fact that this is the first Hoth set that includes all the major iconic features.

I do understand criticism based on price (although I don't think it's too unreasonable, in comparison with recent sets), the inclusion of the snowspeeder and wampa cave, or the exclusion of the medical bay. The wampa cave isn't really an iconic part of the base. They are in the deleted scenes, though, and the last set with a wampa was quite a while ago, so I'll give that a pass. I think the inclusion of a snowspeeder is less necessary, since we just had a snowspeeder in 2014. I would rather have the medical bay and more of an interior. The exclusion of Leia also is a bit strange. But if you buy a 7879 Echo Base and put it behind the hangar bay, you fix all the major omissions. That's exactly what I'm going to do -- and I also bought a pile of white bricks.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Eh. All I can do is echo(No pun intended) everyone's criticism. The set is subpar IMO, but I like the minifigures

I don't totally understand the repeated criticism of it having multiple component builds. That's exactly what I expected. It is Echo Base, after all, which is a primarily underground facility with four iconic features above the surface: a hangar bay door, a giant ion cannon, a shield generator, and a defensive line of trenches and turrets. So of course it's going to be a bit disjointed if it's going to hit each iconic feature. It's not like they're going to come out with a set with 4000 white bricks so you can build a subterranean base that connects everything with tunnels (as much as I would like that). I like the fact that this is the first Hoth set that includes all the major iconic features.

I'm not being funny, but it doesn't have to be disjointed at all to include all them things.

21755309675_1519d8a47c_z.jpgMicrofighter Battle of Hoth by Sam, on Flickr

Sure, they're microfighter vehicles, but that is around 2300 pieces minus the minifigs, including all the gumpf underneath it to raise it 1 brick height for the sloping trim..

Even if you removed the microfighter vehicles, and made 1 snowspeeder/AT-ST out of the pieces instead, removed half of the front snowy area and repositioned it behind the hangar door to allow an interior, that would have been much better.

This 'UCS' system scale playset, apart from the ion cannon and size of the door, is a complete waste of time for anyone that has previously bought the hoth sets. And lets be honest here, they have been throwing hoth set after hoth set at us for ages without rest. So it isn't going to be like hardly any of us have any Hoth sets. There will be few and far between people that are new and this would be a great *system scale playset*.

The modularity of it is a joke. You can do that with the Ewok village if you wanted. Not really too difficult.

They could have at least included an AT-ST in this set instead of the snowspeeder and instead of releasing it seperate. THAT would have made it a bit more enticing. Instead, I'll just pass on this and get the At-ST when it comes out.

I'm saying all this as someone who loves all things Hoth related.

Edited by Fuppylodders

Terrible. Terrible build, terrible price, completely underwhelming. Poor fig selection. Horrendous price ( did I say that already?) UCS ? Pfft.

The hangar door, shield generators and ion cannon need to be about 3 times the size. Why another crappy speeder bike ? Where's Leia ? Only 2 snowtroopers ?! Some 'assault'. Totally underwhelming. This would be acceptable maybe at £100 price range, but to ask £220 is embarrassing for Lego. The only minor feature that I like about this rip off, is the grey/white mix of bricks around the hangar door. Everything else is completely forgettable. How the heck are you supposed to display this collection of battlepacks ? There's no interior OR exterior worth looking at ! Bricklink the figs and build a far superior hangar door yourselves. Bingo

Yeah... it looks nice, but I would have prefered more of the base itself rather than more trenches, more turrets and a completely unecessary wampa cave.

The snowspeeder is justified. Even though we've had tons of them, there can't be an Echo Base without one of those.

Shield generator and ion cannon are nice, though.

Pass for me. 300CAD is too much, would have bought it if they'd have spent more bricks on the actual base rather than on the surrounding smaller builds.

Pretty much what I expected :laugh: At least the minifigs are excellent as usual and the new elements like the ion cannon look great :wub: The best thing about this set: this pretty much guarantees that we won't get any other Hoth sets in the forseeable future. At least that's what I hope :grin:

I'm reminded of this quote from TLG when 75059 Sandcrawler was released in March 2014:

The decision has been made to change the packaging for future “LEGO® exclusive” Star Wars™ sets to include the UCS seal and de-link from the core Star Wars packaging. In addition to the packaging change an update has been made to the building instructions. The building instructions will have additional pages detailing the model’s connection to the movie and its development process. Much as the Creator Expert badge differentiates the larger models from the core assortment the goal of this change is to better communicate to builders that these sets represent our biggest building challenge in the LEGO® Star Wars™ theme.

Personally I will be passing on this set, but I'm curious how they'll explain the development process given barely anything is original design/technique-wise (unlike most modular buildings, Slave 1 or the Sandcrawler). My essential problem with the set is that nothing seems to justify the collective size. Why not spread the vignettes across multiple sets as they have been doing for years (which they did again earlier this year with 75138 Hoth Attack!). I accept that environments are harder to translate to sets than a vehicle, but the lack of a centerpiece makes this a poorer product in my eyes.

Edited by Renegade Clone

I'm really disappointed by this set :look:

It had the potential to be something really special, but it's anything but. I really don't see how TLG can justify the price point - at £220 in the UK it's only slightly cheaper than the UCS Sandcrawler! It just looks far too small to justify the cost; I've said it before but the set would have been so much better if they'd used the bulk of the elements on the hanger and blast doors. I think I'm going to pass on this, at least in the short term. Hopefully it won't be an 'exclusive' so that it will be on sale at 20% at some point. I might be a bit more interested then!

I am extremely disappointed by this set. Hoth is one of my favorite Star Wars locations. TLG have failed. This set is also a rip off. This set by BaronSat is much better and would be a fraction of the cost: http://www.baronsat.net/Pages6/Hoth-Rebel-Base/HOTH-REBEL-BASE-02.jpg. I may result to building his. I was hoping for a Starkiller base and am disappointed.

The best thing about this set: this pretty much guarantees that we won't get any other Hoth sets in the forseeable future. At least that's what I hope :grin:

You haven't heard about the rumored Rouge Squadron Hoth Assault UCS set? It was first mistaken as a new UCS Snowspeeder, but it is actually featuring a whole squadron! 4 Snowspeeders and 8 pilot minifigs, each with their unique helmet! Play features include lots and lots of flick-fire missiles and exploding canopies! Also includes 1 lightsaber, 1 grenade, and 200cm of extra black string. 1502pcs, available April 1st 2017 for $199.

Just kidding! :laugh:

I hope... :look:

I would call it a UPS (ultimate play set) instead of a UCS. To me this set looks like a collection of smaller sets released in the past years. So if you missed those, this may be a solution.

250 Euros is a lot of money for what you get. I like building MOC's, so I mainly look at the parts of a new set. For me, the parts (low amount, common colours and shapes) don't justify the price even when it is a licensed set.

I don't collect LEGO Star Wars, but this is an awesome set with TONS of play value. Well done, LEGO.

Can someone explain how this set is a ripoff? Compared to the beloved Ewok Village this set is a better deal. 2,144 pieces w/ 15 minifigs + Wampa + Tauntaun compared to 1,990 pieces w/ 17 minifigs.

My biggest issue with it is just that it takes up a UCS slot. UCS sets should be limited to an actual vehicle/ship of some kind.

Can someone explain how this set is a ripoff? Compared to the beloved Ewok Village this set is a better deal. 2,144 pieces w/ 15 minifigs + Wampa + Tauntaun compared to 1,990 pieces w/ 17 minifigs.

The biggest problem most people have is that 75%+ has already been released before. The Ewok Village was brand new, and had never been done before.

That said, I prefer this set.

I am kind of glad though that this is the ucs set for this spring because my wallet just saved some money because I will not be getting it.