CopMike

75098 Assault on Hoth

I guess if you add the Hoth Echo Base set from 2011 and some extra Snowtroopers, it may be more complete. Hoth Echo Base is the interior, Assault On Hoth is the exterior. If you look at it that way, it's not so bad.

Edited by JPN366

I guess if you add the Hoth Echo Base set from 2011 and some extra Snowtroopers, it may be more complete. Hoth Echo Base is the interior, Assault On Hoth is the exterior. If you look at it that way, it's not so bad.

I've always thought that those two sets complement each other rather well. I have the 2011 Echo Base set and two 2014 AT-ATs, so I think the UCS set gives me everything I need to complete a relatively comprehensive Hoth scene. We've never gotten an Ion Cannon or Shield Generator before, and the last version of the blast doors came out nearly a decade ago, in 2007.

I'd have skipped the Wampa cave and snowspeeder, since we just got one -- but then again, there are lots of complaints regarding the lack of an AT-AT. I bet the designer sometimes feels like there's no winning. If the set had included an AT-AT, I suspect that there would have been a lot of complaints about how that was unnecessary since we just got one a a year and a half ago, in fall 2014. Poor guy.

I've always thought that those two sets complement each other rather well. I have the 2011 Echo Base set and two 2014 AT-ATs, so I think the UCS set gives me everything I need to complete a relatively comprehensive Hoth scene.

Likewise. And if we're getting an AT-ST with the Rogue One sets, that'll add in nicely too. I'll keep the bigger Wampa Cave on my Hoth scene (and I now have 4 snowspeeders!) but otherwise it'll fit in well. Just need to wait until August to get it (no S@H here in Hong Kong, so had to order it in the UK to be delivered to my parents'). I'm glad I didn't pay after-market prices for the old 7666 set though.

Did anyone else's sticker sheet have a matte finish to it? Usually the stickers are glossy... Looks a bit weird on the DF.9 turrets.

I've just noticed that the purchasing limit has already increased to 2 in the UK, after only 4 days! It will be interesting if they relax it further, or remove it altogether :look: Perhaps it's a direct result of the dismal reviews that the set has received, or in response to the comments added to the main LEGO website. I'm not one to bet, but I think there's a considerable chance that it will be discounted heavily in the next 6-12 months and have a reduced lifespan compared to the usual 2-3 years for other Exclusives.

The usual 20% Discount on LEGO isn't enough for me with this set... at 50% off I'll sure cave and bring one home, just for the collecting purpose... (At least, that's what I'll tell the wive..)

Edited by H_Solo

Yeah it would need to be 50% off like the UCS B-Wing was a few years ago. I am saving the money I would have spent on Hoth to put towards my bricklinked Falcon ;)

At 50% off I'd be far more inclined to get this. I still have the B-wing in the box from that promotion, actually.

This set's got a 3/5 star rating on Lego Shop@Home, where most sets either have a 4- or 5-star rating. If that's not the death toll, then I don't know what is.

I hate to be super negative, but everyone who doesn't like this set, should rate it just to send a message.

This set's got a 3/5 star rating on Lego Shop@Home, where most sets either have a 4- or 5-star rating. If that's not the death toll, then I don't know what is.

Actually, the overall rating is a bit less than 2.5 studs! :shrug_oh_well:

I like the set, hoth is one of my favourite moments in the franchise however I agree like so many that the price for this is awfull, still better start saving my LEGO VIP points

I will say the price is as bad as the re animated jazz sceen in jabbas palace after lucas killed it.

But i missed out on the first round of all this stuff. Now i get

To get them all cheaper than the ebay peice of just one of the sets.

I have finally un-boxed and assembled 75098: Assault on Hoth, 75049: Snowspeeder, 75054: AT-AT, and 75138: Hoth Attack.

Together, they make a truly awesome display and the "assault" actually makes sense.

It's clear that adding 75054 (AT-AT) to 75098 (Assault) really makes the name of the latter set work.

It's just a shame that 75054 (AT-AT) isn't on the shelves for people to buy.

...and if you're going to have an Echo Base, why not have a little more trench, another DF.9 anti-infantry turret, an Imperial Probe Droid, more Imperial Snowtroopers, and Luke's speeder?

It's really cool seeing 6 Snowtroopers and a Snowtrooper Commander advancing on Echo Base.

But the oddest thing about the setup is having three different builds of E-Web blaster.

Otherwise, here are some more thoughts on the 75098: Assault on Hoth set itself:

• The front of the base itself looks good.
    I don't mind the use of the Big Ugly Rock Pieces.
  • The shield doors are built well and look the part.
    I only wish the gearing mechanism worked better as it seems a little sluggish.
  • The trench is done well. No complaints.
  • The lookout tower is worthless and should not have been included.
  • The control room is simple and sufficient. I don't really see a need for anything more significant.
  • This is a great way for anyone who has missed out on them to get the Wampa and Tauntaun... and both are perfectly done.
    However, the Tauntaun pen is a little odd and it doesn't make much sense that the Wampa cave where Luke was kept connects to the base itself.
  • The Ion Cannon looks great!
    The back of the build looks awful but I don't really look at it to be honest.
  • I know some people have mentioned that the Shield Generator is only 3/4 complete but I think it's fine.
    It looks great, is scaled well, and the action feature is really cool.
  • I don't like this version of the E-Web blaster cannon.
    I think it's far too large for minifigure scale.
  • I don't understand why a Speederbike was included since it was not in the movie.
    This seems totally unnecessary in this set.
  • The DF.9 anti-infantry turrets are cool although I love that the version in 75138 has the rotation function.
  • The P-Tower turret is okay but the version from 75014: Battle of Hoth looks much better.
    ...and does everything have to have a stud shooter?
  • The modularity of the set doesn't really appeal to me as I don't see moving the cannons/turrets around.
  • The minifigures are all quite good.
    I especially like the newer versions of the Hoth Rebel Trooper introduced in 2015's advent calendar, although I kind of wish we got the facial hair of this guy.
    The pilot helmets are very well done, especially Wes Janson's.
    "Thank the maker" they included the two droids. I really like the R3-A2 even if the printing on his dome seems wobbly.
  • I like the addition of the updated version of the Snowspeeder in the style of Luke's in 75049 but with orange markings.
  • The build for the Rebel Troop Carrier is well done. I really like this little vehicle!

Having said that - I am glad I bought 75098.

I don't think it's a true UCS set as I consider those "complete" and 75098 (Assault) is clearly not complete in this case if I have to add other sets to round things out.

But it makes a great display in combination with the other sets mentioned above.

One last thought: Leia's omission is the biggest issue I have with all of these combined sets.

I really think TLG needs to understand why this is a mistake and correct it in the next year.

However, I'm not optimistic that will happen considering all of The Force Awakens and Rogue One sets due to be released.

Sorry for the lack on pics.

Maybe I'll add some later...

...and here are some pics (added 2016-05-09):

img_7368_small.jpg

img_7369_small.jpg

img_7370_small.jpg

Edited by lomis

2.3 studs on the US site and only 44% would recommend it...

As many have said, I would consider buying this in the $125 to $150 price range.

Seems to be dropping in rating as more people get it. I would echo the others and say I would pick it up at $150 or less.

Lego refuses to post my negative review of this set. I did not only complain about the rediculous price but also about a lot of design aspects. That is censorship!

And beside some color changes the Snowspeeder is an EXACT copy of the model released before.

Edited by merman

As a new collector of just 1 year, I didn't have any Hoth sets, so this was perfect for me. It has more bricks and minifigures that Ewok Village of the same price point. It's not close to perfect, but it's a darn good start. And since it's an offiical UCS, I had to have it.

As a new collector of just 1 year, I didn't have any Hoth sets, so this was perfect for me. It has more bricks and minifigures that Ewok Village of the same price point. It's not close to perfect, but it's a darn good start. And since it's an offiical UCS, I had to have it.

AoH does not include more minifigures than EV unless you count the maxifigures as multiple minifigures. Also, all essential characters are represented in the EV set whereas central figures like Leia are omitted in AoH.

Edited by Dazz

Holy cow! When I originally posted about the Shop @ Home rating, it was 3/5 studs. The rating has gone down significantly since then!

Lego refuses to post my negative review of this set. I did not only complain about the rediculous price but also about a lot of design aspects. That is censorship!

Double check. I just looked, and there's a whole bunch of negative reviews on Shop @ Home.