CopMike

75098 Assault on Hoth

I'll get it because I only have the current Snowspeeder and AT-AT. I'm really looking forward to getting the smaller Attack On Hoth set next month, so I'll get this later in the year. I do love the rebel trooper figures the most in both sets. I don't mind getting another Snowspeeder with more orange pieces and two pilots I don't have. It does have a lot of stuff I don't have and probably appeals more to people like me who missed the previous sets.

Edited by JPN366

The answer is simple: Its not just about the amount of parts! The Ewok Village had several things going for it that made is as good as it was.

1. It was completely new in design and what it represented.

2. It combined display quality and playability in a perfect way

3. It was (almost) one single complete build, not a bunch of medium/small sized builds. If you like Legos standard procedure of modular Set lines that focus around specific themes or not, an UCS/ Huge playset like this should focus and center around 1 thing (The Death Star UCS playset was the same), else it just feels and functions like a superpack of common small sets.

4. The Ewok Village as an UCS Set perfectly captures the essentail theme of his name/intention. The Assault on Hoth Set is a terrible set in terms of its "Assault" and it doesnt work as a general Hoth Echo Base either because it misses the Base itself. It tries to be a generel Hoth Theme (Echo Base, Assault and Scouting/Wampa Scene), and therefore doesnt do any of the possible scenes/aspects of Hoth justice.

Those are all reasons why you personally like the Ewok Village more than Assault on Hoth. That doesn't make Assault on Hoth a ripoff.

Imagine if TLG had allowed us to design this set, it would come out of the design phase sometime in 2025 :roflmao:

Edited by neoconagenda

I kinda like it. I really want that orange snowspeeder (not joking). I only have the 1999 snowspeeder, the 2014 one and the latest AT-AT as Hoth sets.

I see why many of you dislike this set. First it's really expensive 250$ US, 345$ CAD with taxes included. Also, it's not really UCS, it' just a big playset. And if you collected the other Hoth sets you already have most of what is included in this set.

But remember, Lego is a rich kids toy.

I think my purchase will depend on if I can find 345$ and if they release Hoth BPs next winter wave.

I hear a lot of complaining about the price of this set but I've yet to see a response to my question posted a couple of pages back.

You can't compare 1000 1x1, 1x2 slopes and 1x1 white plates to 1000 desirable brown, tan and dark green pieces..

I'm almost glad to see the almost universal disapointment in this set. At $150 I wold more seriously consider this set, but $250 is kinda outrageous considering that the majority of the builds in it we've quite literally already done. How challenging do they think it is to build the same Snowspeeder for the 5th time? Hopefully we speak with our wallets and they get the message that this is unacceptable for something carrying the UCS label.

This is more akin to the other big Hoth sets and should have been a Special Edition, or had it been a "Super Battle Pack" it could have elevated that series and been the start of a line of battle playsets. In fairness to this set, it isn't terrible if you ignore the price and branding, and it is a good way for those who missed previous sets to catch up, so to speak.

On the subject of the Ewok Village, I never liked it before but this set made me appreciate it more than I used to. It's still not a set I'll buy(because Ewoks...)but it's something we'd never had in an official set, and perfectly combines play with display. Hoth clearly leans more towards play, which would be fine with different branding at a different price point.

I feel bad for those of you who collect every UCS, this is almost cynical of Lego.

Edited by bootz

I don't know, i kind of like it, but i am also dissappointed. It doesn't look like something we want and need. It feels like a big collection of all sets excluding 7879. Bacta luke, the medical droid, Chewie (could have done with snow dots - missed opportunity), R-3PO and even Leia are MIA. Also the ion-cannon didn't come out that well and the generator is missing a fourth 'wheel'-thing. Still i do like the figs that come with it, and it is a great starterpack for an echo base (if you dont have all those other sets already.) But then again, if you buy this, you also want the 75014 set or the advent calendar for Rieekan and the missing figures from 7879. The thing i really don't understand is why Han is the same as the 75138 set. At the moment it feels more like miss to me. Just like the '66 batman set by the way.

Anyway, i understand the hate, but i also understand the love.

USC? Unimaginative. Very vanilla in terms of the building techniques and figs. Where's my cloud city at?

Very boring parts wise, I think I could use my collection to have a go at building this already.

Edited by PaddyBricksplitter

Those are all reasons why you personally like the Ewok Village more than Assault on Hoth. That doesn't make Assault on Hoth a ripoff.

I'd say it's worth $200, but charged at $250. That is a ripoff to me. Even if you don't think it's bad value, do you really think it's a GOOD value? Wampa cave is tacked on, and Wampa is in there just to increase the price. Where's Leia? Shouldn't the "ultimate" Hoth set have her? Chewbacca, 3PO, and R2 being left out is understandable because they aren't different in these scenes, but seriously.

I think I will look up the instructions, build what I want from pieces and save the $250. With everything else coming out this year it's $250 that won't be wasted.

I'd say it's worth $200, but charged at $250. That is a ripoff to me. Even if you don't think it's bad value, do you really think it's a GOOD value? Wampa cave is tacked on, and Wampa is in there just to increase the price. Where's Leia? Shouldn't the "ultimate" Hoth set have her? Chewbacca, 3PO, and R2 being left out is understandable because they aren't different in these scenes, but seriously.

I don't know what's good value. I'm new to collecting Lego Star Wars so that's why I was asking. It seems comparable to the Ewok Village. A few have mentioned that the Ewok Village has more valuable bricks and that makes sense. They both seem like they're $50 overpriced to me. I think that the price per piece should go down as the price goes up. That's how most things in this world are priced.

I don't know what's good value. I'm new to collecting Lego Star Wars so that's why I was asking. It seems comparable to the Ewok Village. A few have mentioned that the Ewok Village has more valuable bricks and that makes sense. They both seem like they're $50 overpriced to me. I think that the price per piece should go down as the price goes up. That's how most things in this world are priced.

As somebody mentioned a few pages back, the Ewok Vilage is worth more in most people's eyes because it had never been done before. It was completely new ground for LEGO. With this one, however, pretty much everything has been done before. The snowspeeder has been in 15,000 sets, give or take a couple thousand, the base doors were in 7666, the trench is an amalgamation of 7749 and 75014, and the Wampa Cave was in 8089. The only new things are the shield generator and the ion cannon.

As somebody mentioned a few pages back, the Ewok Vilage is worth more in most people's eyes because it had never been done before. It was completely new ground for LEGO. With this one, however, pretty much everything has been done before. The snowspeeder has been in 15,000 sets, give or take a couple thousand, the base doors were in 7666, the trench is an amalgamation of 7749 and 75014, and the Wampa Cave was in 8089. The only new things are the shield generator and the ion cannon.

That's part of the problem yes, but ultimatly it's about what you get overall. The price is both set at 250$, piece count is higher on Hoth by around 180 pieces, similar amount of mini-figs.

However, it gets down to what you actually get in size, and Assault on Hoth is not nearly as impressive as the technically very similar Ewok Village.

I really want to like this set but when lookign at the price I can't see the value we get here.

Maybe it's worth it if you are sitting on a nice amount of VIP points and get it during a double VIP event.

Edited by RetroInferno

I'm not sure that I really understand the hate here- IMHO Star Wars fans aren't satisfied with anything.

When a new, detailed set is revealed, you say it needs interior space.

When a playable set with interior space is revealed, you say it needs more detail.

And such.

This set is clearly well designed, and aside from and AT-AT has everything someone looking to build a Hoth diorama could want. Even better, this set is designed in the same vein as the other "Regular" sets so that they will integrate nicely, instead of looking overly detailed or bulky.

To the ones complaining "We've seen all of this stuff before!" keep in mind that there's only so much Hoth stuff Lego can make. There has been a rehash of practically every Star Wars location ever, so how is this any different?

Such frivolous complaints include those about the Wampa Cave. Look, the original came out six years ago, and there are a finite number of Lego Star Wars fans who own every set ever as compared to Lego's core audience. Give 'em a break!

I think that Lego did a good job here and should be applauded for their efforts. :shrug_confused:

Edited by BrickJagger

>< Looked up the price in Yen and yikes! This is never going to be a part of my Lego collection.

Also while I understand the complaints from veteran Lego SW collectors I think for returning FOLs and younger kids just getting into Lego SW this will be a pretty good set that they can play with for a long time. The cave portion can be integrated into the rest of the base or made into something the imperials can use since there are so few in number. But only if they can get over the steep price point!

I think buying mostly Lego City has spoiled me as to what to expect in pricing ><

To the ones complaining "We've seen all of this stuff before!" keep in mind that there's only so much Hoth stuff Lego can make.

That's true, but it's more so that it's stuff we've basically all built already. How long has this basic snowspeeder design been out with only minor detail changes over the years? Yet TLG thinks it "will challenge even the most skilled fan builders"? It just all seems very basic and repetitive for a UCS set, especially a $250 one. For me, the issues with it lie in branding and price. At $150 as a Special Edition I'd probably get one, but as a $250 UCS it's underwhelming.

At the very least, they could have added R-3PO, Bacta Luke, Hoth Leia, and and AT-ST with another few Snowtroopers to make the figs side of it more appealing. Wedge and Toryn Farr are the highlights, and that's really not enough for a UCS.

Edited by bootz

I met with my mom on a break from school yesterday and showed her the pictures from this set. Her immediate response was didn't I already own that set. Her second response was asking if they just threw together old sets? When she guessed the price she said maybe $150 dollars and when I told her $250 she shook her head and just said that's BS.

When a person's mom who doesn't care about Lego that much thinks that, that's an issue :laugh:

I think at that price this is more of a set from grandma and/or grandpa to the grandkids. It is rated age 12+ for a USC which seems kind of low to me. It is good set for those who don't already have the previous set releases. Easier to buy than trying to find and buy the old sets in the aftermarket.

The moment i saw this i bought the cave god AT-AT manual ans started brick linking. It is very doubtful i will get it. Maybe my son may want it fir his birthday or something.

Apart from the droids and the pilots, I have no interest in this set.... it could have been better if they just released cheaper 'modular' little sets like the previous releases.

...Easier to buy than trying to find and buy the old sets in the aftermarket.

Very true. I have been back in the hobby about 2 years and been collecting only ANH just to keep the cost and space needs down. I have been laying off all of the Hoth sets mostly because of the sheer number of sets out there to get. That is where this new "UCS" is really shining. As others have noted, it will be very good for someone like myself who has little to no Hoth sets. I checked over some previously released comparable sets and #8089, 7749, 7879 and the new 75138 would get you 1,433 pcs, 15 figs, 2 tauntauns, wampa, scout bike, 1 speeder, 2 turrets and the probe droid. Per BL priceguide, the recent average new sales prices would total $247 and used $193 (not considering shipping). The new set gains you the ion cannon and power generator and more trench and snow in piece count. Obvious miss is medical bay. May be a toss up on special droid figs and no Leia vs Wedge, etc. Overall I think this new set is an efficient buy and decent enough value for an entry into Hoth.

Imagine if TLG had allowed us to design this set, it would come out of the design phase sometime in 2025 :roflmao:

Hey, count me in! :laugh:

Jokes aside, am I the only one here that think that the E-Web cannon used by the snowtroopers is a little bit oversized?

As MOCer, not sets collector I join to those who are disappointed with this set.

I won't add anything new to the topic, I just agree - to many "small sets" in 1 big set, lack of one big structure. Also not looking as UCS quality. And no interesting/unique parts for MOCing.

But there is 1 good thing. Saved money on not-buying this set ;)