Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR-Ch1A] Perchance to Dream

My entry for Challenge 1 Category A. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. I'm really enjoying these tropical builds! Below is the (incredibly) long story, feel free to skip it completely! As always comments and criticism most welcome.

24871970961_b9ebaf98a6_c.jpg

As evening approached, Xochitl and her warrior attendants approached her dream tower. Recognised as a seer amongst her tribe, Xochitl would ascend to the dream platform, to drink the sacred potion made from fermented roots and eat fruit from the jungle's bounty. After this she would lapse into a trance under the starlight and beneath the skulls of her ancestors. Then sometimes, if the gods willed it, she would receive visions of the future which she would attempt in interpret for the good of her people.

Suddenly, her attendants stopped short of the tower, raising their obsidian studded maquahuitl and startling her out of the reverie she had been enjoying. At the edge of the clearing stood 3 men, but men unlike any she had seen before. Big, tall and pale men clad in finer materials than any she had seen, brilliant scarlet and bright white. Stranger still the men had hair growing on their faces! All this she noticed in seconds, but it was the centre stranger that made her gasp. His clothes were a higher quality than the rest, and his hat was different. With the dying sun behind him, he appeared bathed in the orange and red hues. Her dreams of late had often featured a red man but she was unclear whether the man would bring great good or great evil. Perhaps this was the red one? Surely the only way to find out was to drink the sacred potion with him and let the gods provide the answer. Fearlessly, she pushed her attendants’ weapons down, and approached the red one.

Captain Dirk Allcock was at the point of turning back. The sun was setting fast and he reluctantly acknowledged the fact that it was time to return to the camp his men were setting up on the beach. He half turned to relay these orders to Sergeant Gowan, when the Sergeant abruptly stopped and half lowered his musket. Spinning back round Dirk realised they had entered a small clearing, dominated by a flimsy wooden structure, decorated in brightly coloured feathers and bones. Incredibly however, it was not the structure that had his full attention. Just below it were three natives. Two muscular young men, armed with some kind of wicked looking obsidian studded clubs flanked the object of his full attention – a beautiful, scantly clad young woman. After a moments silence in which both groups stared at one another, the women pushed the warriors weapons down and stepped forward, beckoning Dirk to approach.

“Don’t like the look of them buggers Sir” commented Sergeant Gowen.

“I do believe she means us no harm Sergeant” replied Dirk

“Not her I be worried about Sir, wee little thing she is”

“She appears to want me to climb into that tower with her” remarked the astonished Dirk, as the native women continued to beckon and mime. “I do believe it appears to be some kind of ceremonial platform” he continued puzzled.

“So you say so Sir… um is that wise Sir” questioned Sergeant Gowan as Dirk unbuckled his sword belt and handed it to the Sergeant.

“Her Majesty has instructed us to attempt to open peaceful dialogue with any native peoples we encounter Sergeant, One must do one’s duty for Queen and Country” announced Dirk as he approached the women.

“Oh to be sure Sir, for Corrington is it Sir?” Sergeant Gowan replied smirking, "Reckon that's rum she has up there do you Sir."

“Sergeant, I have absolutely no idea, and there is only one way to find out. Remain here while I open negotiations with this priestess - perhaps you could try some dialogue with these warriors here, share your rations and the like”

And so Sergeant Gowan and the two privates in his party spent the night with the two native warriors, exchanging salt beef and hard tack for roast fish and fresh fruit. Despite the language barrier, the night went well enough, the Corlanders admired the native clubs, whilst the natives where quickly taken by the steel bayonets of the redcoats. As for Dirk Allcock and Xochitl, well no one knows what happened that night beneath the stars and skulls. For sure good relations were established between the native tribe and Corlander expedition, however as the saying goes, a gentleman never tells, and above all things, Captain Dirk Allcock is a gentleman.

Beautiful build, and unique story to go with it! I like the trees and the platform is really nice. You've really captured the jungle atmosphere. Good job with the minifigs, and for portraying the intrigue so well. Keep it up.

The foliage here is excellent and the platform looks really good too! :thumbup: Great entry!

Thank you everyone for the comments!

I like that you leave things open to interpretation.

I'm sure that if you asked any of Dirk's peers, they'd tell you that knowing him, he probably spent the night trying to scientifically measure the effects of the sacred potion or discussing the unique insect life!!!

P.S: Stories are here to stay! Yay!

Sorry not sure what you mean by this?

Also I forgot to mention a couple of builds here that helped inspire my entry. Puvel's What a Weirdo! inspired me to start the story from a native perspective. And, while I was originally toying with the idea of doing the Captian Kirk/John Sheppard 'alien priestess' routine, it was CelesAurivern's cheeky free build Just taking a Gander, Madam that motiviated me to give it a go.

Sorry not sure what you mean by this?

Also I forgot to mention a couple of builds here that helped inspire my entry. Puvel's What a Weirdo! inspired me to start the story from a native perspective. And, while I was originally toying with the idea of doing the Captian Kirk/John Sheppard 'alien priestess' routine, it was CelesAurivern's cheeky free build Just taking a Gander, Madam that motiviated me to give it a go.

I meant that i really like it that good, substantial stories start to be more common around BoBS and yours is among the most enjoying ones pirate_classic.gif

Thanks again for the positive comments everyone! It amazes me what a supportive community we have going on here and I am glad to be part of it!

I meant that i really like it that good, substantial stories start to be more common around BoBS and yours is among the most enjoying ones pirate_classic.gif

Oh thanks blackdeathgr! Glad you liked it, it is by far the longest story I've ever written for a lego build!

Ooh I inspired someone, neat! pir_laugh2.gif

The story is well written and the build looks very nice with the different types of trees, well done!

Do you know that before the first LEGO Islanders sets were issued, LEGO pirates and soldies felt bored. I like the playability of your creation And I like the story very much - I like stories, too and feel a good author here. What's your opinion of them?

like the playability of your creation and that you combined a few different ideas in one set.