Dear all,

I would like to present a one-set MOC I realised based on the 8070 supercar. It was done after COP 21: an environmentally friendly alternate that does not use the PFS elements of the original set :D

While deprived of PFS, this Formula 1 features quite a few interesting functions:

• 4 independent suspensions
  • Direction by HOG and steering wheel
  • A V8 fake engine
  • A 2 speed gear box (accessible from the cockpit)
  • A moveable spoiler (gear under the right side)
  • An openable engine cover

So basically, that is more than what the 42000 set offers ;) (yet with no optional motorisation)

Here are a few pictures:

DSC03658-asp-small.jpg

A view from the cockpit:

DSC03666-asp-small.jpg

Opening the engine cover:

DSC03665-asp-small.jpg

The spoiler and V8 engine:

DSC03670-asp-small.jpg

From above:

DSC03661-asp-small.jpg

From below, showing the mechanics for opening the engine cover and moving the spoiler:

DSC03671-asp-small.jpg

Here are the left-over parts:

DSC03656-asp-small.jpg

Hope you like it :)

Any comment most welcome.

Very nicely done. I always thought that set was more 'capable' than how it was sold. Though, the only 'weakness' is the lack of gears, as one cannot put a transmission in there (without resorting to extra parts). Nice job!

Well done C model indeed. And I see you used a great portion of parts available. Only thing that would make it even better is realistic push-rod suspension, but I guess there were not enough links?

That is pretty damn awesome, love the inclusion of a gearbox

42000 still wins out by a narrow margin in terms of looks because of the suspension wishbones and pushrod suspension, but you cant fault a C-model for that

This really pushes me back towards buying this set, ive been back and forth between technic and star wars for my next big(ish) set, and 8070 is what i had in mind for technic (or 42042)

I have not seen many alternative models for the 8070.... so yours is very much appreciated. Looks like the lack of interest in the set is reflected in the lack of modified sets that came out of it. But yours is very good....

Really good looking model, congratulations. Do you plan to make instructions, or at least build in LDD?

I have not seen many alternative models for the 8070.... so yours is very much appreciated. Looks like the lack of interest in the set is reflected in the lack of modified sets that came out of it. But yours is very good....

I've never understood the lack of interest in 8070, I think it's a rather good model.

Dear all,

Many thanks for the positive comments! As for the suspensions, I did try to build rod suspensions with horizontal shock absorbers, but I have to admit I could not have it work. It seems to me that it's rather hard to achieve a good result without dedicated parts for that :s As a compromise, I tried to keep the shock absorbers as horizontal as possible (where 8880-B had them much more vertical, like in a regular car...)

I will certainly make a LDD model and generate instructions that I will deposit on rebrickable. But it will probably take me a bit of time...

Note: I originally got 8070 for the B model :) I think model A did not get that much attention because it did not fit what people usually expect of a technic supercar: real gear box, and mechanics as close as possible that of a real car. A gearbox opening doors and hoods was certainly fancy but not that realistic...

NB: while I was finishing this MOC, Serge S also deposited instructions for a formula 1 8070 alternate on rebrickable, you might want to check it out!

Edited by jyd80

NB: while I was finishing this MOC, someone also deposited instructions for a formula 1 8070 alternate on rebrickable, you might want to check it out!

Hmm, that one looks pretty nice as well, no DRS i think, but it at least suggests some form of push rod suspession in the front, cant tell if there is a fake engine or any features other then suspension/steering though

On 2/12/2016 at 3:46 PM, jyd80 said:

Dear all,

Many thanks for the positive comments! As for the suspensions, I did try to build rod suspensions with horizontal shock absorbers, but I have to admit I could not have it work. It seems to me that it's rather hard to achieve a good result without dedicated parts for that :s As a compromise, I tried to keep the shock absorbers as horizontal as possible (where 8880-B had them much more vertical, like in a regular car...)

I will certainly make a LDD model and generate instructions that I will deposit on rebrickable. But it will probably take me a bit of time...

Note: I originally got 8070 for the B model :) I think model A did not get that much attention because it did not fit what people usually expect of a technic supercar: real gear box, and mechanics as close as possible that of a real car. A gearbox opening doors and hoods was certainly fancy but not that realistic...

NB: while I was finishing this MOC, Serge S also deposited instructions for a formula 1 8070 alternate on rebrickable, you might want to check it out!

I know I might be  little late with this question, but did you have a chance to finish instructions or model in digital format?

I haven't found model on rebrickable.

thanks for answer

On 7/4/2018 at 1:44 PM, ace_klimax said:

I know I might be  little late with this question, but did you have a chance to finish instructions or model in digital format?

I haven't found model on rebrickable.

thanks for answer

Hi, thanks for your interest. I'm unfortunately not finished with the instructions (been working on other projets :s), but the plan is still to produce some (model is still built!).

On 7/6/2018 at 9:38 AM, jyd80 said:

Hi, thanks for your interest. I'm unfortunately not finished with the instructions (been working on other projets :s), but the plan is still to produce some (model is still built!).

thank you, i'll wait till then

I've built it, it was a perfect experience.

I would say that this model is almost the same quality as the A-model Supercar.

I like, that both sides are not symmetrical, so every time you build a different function, both gears are nicely hidden

Thanks for free digital model and pdf instructions, if you would do some video of function, i would not be afraid to make it as a premuim model for money, it definitely has the value.

I found several mistakes:

highlight of new pieces would make it easier to follow

• p19 do not insert axle7, it is duplicated on p51 so it cant be set together on 64
  •   -- same situation with pins on p53 vs p22
  • p44 callout bad order
  • p74 8 hard to see pin position
  • p100 step3 blue 3l pins in bad orientation
  • 4x blue pin + 2x black pin from bellow handling rear part of the body completelly missing

I did several small bodywork changes mostly to fill holes, or match color

+ redone rear function of worm gear to handle spoiler function.

I wanted to update design file with updates but without luck, the model doesn't correctly open in stud.io or LDD, and i can't work ldcad (or in which program it was built)

Don't you have option to export it as lxf?

I would at least take photos for you to see

Photos can be seen here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ph3m64wtxpcq4tm/AAAaHlXs4MJUcQ-OTCRHwVEaa?dl=0

I've commented your MOC on rebrickable

thanks a lot again for the instructions

Edited by ace_klimax

Hi,

I am very happy you enjoyed the instructions! I will look into the errors and fix them. Normally the mpd file should open with stud.io, at least it worked on my machine but will double-check with the uploaded version. I did not use stud.io in the end because I was not happy with the resolution of images in the PDF output and went back to LDpub. By the way, I considered making it into a premium MOC, but given that it took me 2 years to generate those instructions, I don't think it will economically be worth it ;) It also very satisfying and rewarding to know that others thought it was of interest enough to spend time building it. Next is a jeep model made of 42030... first have to remove dust :)