CM4Sci

IDEAS 21305 Maze

Woah, a review before the official reveal? Either way, super hyped for it! Looks great!

Excellent. The Maze is looking like a lot of fun. I wonder if the dents mentioned in the balls will be a big issue, and if there are any other suitable replacements for them.

769 pieces, making it the largest Ideas set by piece count. Some of that is for 2-in-1 design allowing one to build it with either the expected plain vanilla maze or a microscale Castle-themed one - nice! Four plain orange soccer balls. Now we know!

I like it. I hope it does well, and I hope I can get one myself.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this is the first Ideas set to include a baseplate. Another first!

Excellent. The Maze is looking like a lot of fun. I wonder if the dents mentioned in the balls will be a big issue, and if there are any other suitable replacements for them.

Any marble or smooth polished ball of the same size should do better as a replacement. I am going to wait and see if the dents are enough of an issue to warrant replacement.

That being said, the maze looks amazing. I was on the fence about the price but seeing what they did it makes sense. Lego did a great job recreating this to be a functional, customizable, and entertaining set.

So there is an alternate track for the maze, wonderful! Not that you couldn't remake your own with the existing parts/supplement from your collection, but if it really is $70 I expected the bricks for to be included, so that's a relief.

I'm still not sold due to the price, but other than that the set keeps looking better and better. If I can find some extra space in my budget or a discount there is a good chance I'll pick one up.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Looks better than what I thought

I like the alternate version better

---

After this review, they will reveal it at any moment now

been looking forward to this a while, I fully intend to do custom games with this got some old heroica elements that could be useful here :)

The more I see of this the more excited I get. I don't think it's necessarily the game that is getting me but just how it's built. I am sitting here just thinking of how everything is put together and how the outsides look so smooth and how it actually operates. I still don't like the use of the Technic gears as a handle to operate the maze. I feel like you could hurt yourself after a while of game play with the teeth. As the review said, a tire would have worked great or even a smooth disc of some sort.

I think I will modify the colours a bit and allow different levels to be built without having to pull the others apart. Might try using marbles too.

I feel like you could hurt yourself after a while of game play with the teeth. As the review said, a tire would have worked great or even a smooth disc of some sort.

the "original" had rubber tires - but Lego wanted to spare 0.2 cents, I guess

I like it but it's too bad that the sets go from bland to boring. A classic space theme would have sold it to me.

To me, the price really ain't that bad considering the pieces included and that its an Idea's set. It's actually way better than what I would have thought.

I might just have to pick up this set myself now. Damn you LEGO .. :tongue:

I still don't like the use of the Technic gears as a handle to operate the maze. I feel like you could hurt yourself after a while of game play with the teeth. As the review said, a tire would have worked great or even a smooth disc of some sort.

They used bevel gears... They are far from sharp. Unless your fingers are made of warm butter, they won't hurt you.

Unless your fingers are made of warm butter, they won't hurt you.

And if they are, you probably need a different hobby. Nobody likes Buttery Bricks.

I seem to recall much discussion of custom board layouts, and the suggestion of an EB contest. Is that going to happen?

They used bevel gears... They are far from sharp. Unless your fingers are made of warm butter, they won't hurt you.

Ah ok. Still not a fan of them.

And if they are, you probably need a different hobby. Nobody likes Buttery Bricks.

What about bricks made of butter?

I'll be picking mine up at my local Lego store tomorrow. I am actually getting it mostly for free for my birthday. My brother is paying for most of it and I am paying off the rest in VIP points. I will also likely be spending at least another $30 just because I want to(probably Lego Dimensions stuff which I'll see if I can price match) and to make sure I get the Mr. Freeze minifigure.

Edit: Got it!

z35sHkSl.jpg

Edited by Tech Artist

Got this yesterday. Built it today. Tons of tan and black bricks and tiles, which is cool, and the maze is quite fun to play. They are minor issues with the ball sticking, due to the mold indention on the ball as well as the gaps between the tiles. Nothing too horrible, but in can be frustrating, especially considering the game in and of itself can be quite frustrating at times. Similarly, the movement of the technic pieces isn't 100% smooth, but still not a big deal. I wish they had included extra plates to build another maze level without having to take apart the first one, but what can you do? All in all, if I wanted a perfect maze, I'd buy a regular one. This one is made of LEGO though, and for what it is, it is, yes, amazing. I think half of my reasoning for buying this was to support all of the wonderful stuff that Jason Alleman does, but after building and playing with it, it really is super-cool in it's own right. Plus, I got Mr. Freeze :laugh:

I hope the Eurobricks-maze-level-competition becomes a real thing, because I'm looking forward to making something. I wonder if I can incorporate some jumps or other crazy Marble Madness-style fun....

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with, competition or not!

I have a feeling the main reason we haven't seen more marble maze MOCs posted so far is because people are holding out for a contest... Too bad because I'd really like to see what people are coming up with.