Sir Stig

[ESL-CH1b] Into the wild.

There was no end to surprises when you served under Colonel Oystridge. He had us sailing east towards unchartered territory. Even though our supplies were running out, he had given the order to carry on. Any other crew would have turned on such a decision, but Colonel Oystridge had the full confidence in his men. And that was perhaps the very reason they were so calm when looking into the eyes of uncertainty.

"There it is! Just were it's supposed to be", Colonel Oystridge proclaimed as he scouted the horizon. The crew gathered round, taking turns looking through the spyglass. Once again Colonel Oystridge had proven even their smallest doubt to shame.

24839870272_c2f33d9751_z.jpg

While he wrote his journal, Colonel Oystridge tried to reminisce the events that had occured only a few weeks ago:

"The tide was turning as we reached the shore. Thank Poseidon that we did not run into any of the reefs going in. The men was weary, after many days on half rations, but in good spirit."

24327234644_23d11c938c_z.jpg

"What is the first order of business when going ashore in unknown lands, lads?"

"Secure the boat", they replied in unison.

"That's right. And what do we do next?"

"Uhm... Survey the area?", one replied.

"That's a good suggestion, but there is one thing that has to be done first. Enrique, what's your thoughts?"

"Plant the flag?"

"That's right. Let's get to it, shall we".

24931549226_05e8270f52_z.jpg[/url]

"There. Now we are standing on Eslandolan ground. The power of the flag is truly fascinating."

Little did we know then that we were being watched from the shadows.

24864519881_3ea0dbb24d_z.jpg

"Now, we shall see what fortune our new island offers. It looks like we will have no problem restocking our food supplies for our trip home. Ricardo, you may take lead."

24931550146_3aee375ec3_z.jpg

"Colonel, there's a path here. Looks like some animals have been doing their duty here."

"Keep your heads up, boys".

And so we ventured into the deep, dark, dense jungle.

To be continued... (in challenge 1a)

24957831295_2033dcbb47_z.jpg

I like this moc. The landing is looking realistic and the jungle vegetation is amazing. I had never considered using the horns and hot dogs in that manner. I love the watcher in the jungle. It is shaping up to be an adventurous walk through the forest. I also like the usage of the brown bow to make the second palm tree.

My only critique is the usage of 2 fleshies and 1 yellow minifigure. The first look made it seem weird. However, the more I thought about it and looked at them I concluded you were trying to show different skin tones with the combination. It could work, it just seems like such a clash at first glimpse.

Well done, Sir Stig. I particularly like the surf and the beach, but the undergrowth and rockwork is nice too. I do agree the mix of yellow and fleshies look a little strange, but I will buy the skintone argument.

I also very much appreciated the story, and I surely hope they will be able to stock up on supplies for the trip back! pirate_laugh2.gif

Well done!

Nice MOC! Are the red and orange horns meant to be chillies? When I first saw them I thought oh wow, that's a great idea for chilli plants! (I may just steal this idea for a plantation pirate_wink.gif ). Good job, although I agree with SilentWolf about the mixture of fleshie and yellow, but that's just me being pedantic! The way you have shadowed the watching native looks really good as well.

I like this moc. The landing is looking realistic and the jungle vegetation is amazing. I had never considered using the horns and hot dogs in that manner. I love the watcher in the jungle. It is shaping up to be an adventurous walk through the forest. I also like the usage of the brown bow to make the second palm tree.

My only critique is the usage of 2 fleshies and 1 yellow minifigure. The first look made it seem weird. However, the more I thought about it and looked at them I concluded you were trying to show different skin tones with the combination. It could work, it just seems like such a clash at first glimpse.

Well done, Sir Stig. I particularly like the surf and the beach, but the undergrowth and rockwork is nice too. I do agree the mix of yellow and fleshies look a little strange, but I will buy the skintone argument.

I also very much appreciated the story, and I surely hope they will be able to stock up on supplies for the trip back! pirate_laugh2.gif

Well done!

Thank you. I must agree that I would rather have one or the other flesh/yellow (Why did you decide to make fleshies, TLG? WHY!?), but to have more facial expressions available I have decided to mix them. I will do this throughout my builds. Sorry in advance to everyone that gets offended pir_laugh2.gif I am actually warming up to the fleshies, but I like diversity in the faces, and with so many old yellow faces I doubt I will ever have one or the other.

Nice MOC! Are the red and orange horns meant to be chillies? When I first saw them I thought oh wow, that's a great idea for chilli plants! (I may just steal this idea for a plantation pirate_wink.gif ). Good job, although I agree with SilentWolf about the mixture of fleshie and yellow, but that's just me being pedantic! The way you have shadowed the watching native looks really good as well.

Yes, it is chillies. And I intend to build a plantation (I have a bag full with some hundred of them for that purpose). Once the people get a taste of my secret chillisauce, I am sure the demand for chillies will skyrocket (whatever that is), so steal away pirate_wink.gif. The shadow on the minifig I have to admit was more of an accident and horrible lighting conditions than anything else. The sun is so low on the horizon still, so I am having a hard time getting the angles ok, without my own shadow or from the build spoiling the scenes. But in this case it worked out. I didn't really notice how well until you said it and I studied it a bit more pir_laugh2.gif

Yep, that's definitely going Into The Wild. This might be my favorite of your BoBS builds so far. The water looks great, and I like the dense variety of colorful plants. Very good story to go with it, and while I don't like mixing yellows & fleshies, I know just what you mean about not having enough variety of just one or the other. Good work. :classic:

You did a good job of going into the wild. NPU on the use of horns for chilli peppers. The way you lighted your first picture made it look like a rendered LDD image-pretty cool effect. Mixing yellow and fleshies adds diversity. :wink:

You can use white paper or cardboard to bounce (reflect) the sunlight on your MOC for a more even diffused lighting. You may have to get a helper to hold the reflectors or make holders out of LEGO. :classic:

Great to see another challenge build from Eslandola! The foliage looks really nice!

Greenery is top notch and the chilli pepers are a really nice idea. What i find strange but not necessarily bad, is the mix of tan and yellow sand. i would prefer tan or yellow but that's just me. Overall a nice entry!

Yes, it is chillies. And I intend to build a plantation (I have a bag full with some hundred of them for that purpose). Once the people get a taste of my secret chillisauce, I am sure the demand for chillies will skyrocket (whatever that is), so steal away pirate_wink.gif.

Thanks Sir Stig, I have another couple of plantation ideas I'll probably build first, although after seeing this MOC I broke my self-imposed ban on Bricklink and ordered about 60 horns in red, orange, yellow and yellowish green!!! Consider your build inspiring!!! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Great vegetation and nice water! Altough the beach could use some more reliëf, the build has a good atmosphere!