Sign in to follow this  
M_slug357

Design Contest Proposition

Hi all,

I've been doing a bit of brainstorming about what to do concerning the current state of affairs for trains on Lego Ideas, and while I am currently working on a couple different solutions of my own, I finally landed on an idea that would include all of you as well. A bit of friendly competition, all towards a common goal: a better/more appealing train set offering for Lego fans.

So, I am proposing we start a set design contest here on Eurobricks!! (maybe even get it up on the front page?)

The Parameters:

-A complete train set, not a standalone car, engine, or track-side structure. Generally an engine, 2-3 rolling stock, and one structure.

-A 1000 parts count maximum, which must include necessary PF elements and at least 20 pieces of track (standard oval).

-A self-contained engine, meaning no rolling stock can carry necessary PF elements.

-At least 2-3 "play features", not including the operation of the train itself.

-At least one alternate build. (Alternate models do not have to meet the same requirements as the primary model)

-Must use parts currently in production, however new/different colors of said parts can be used.

Some Suggestions:

-Come up with a few stories about what the minifigs included in the set could and would be doing.

-Try to avoid using generic flat cars and wimpy helicopters.

-Use 1-2 rare/unique colors that haven't appeared in a train set yet, like azure, purple, dark red, etc.

-Try not to make your train too regionally specific by using road names such as GWR, LNER, UP, CN, etc. Color schemes may be mimicked though.

-Develop a play feature that hasn't been used in a train set before.

-Try to have each element of the set be as interesting on its own as it is with the rest of the set.

I'm not sure how much time should be given to a contest like this, but I'd reckon about 30-90 days would be about right?

Then, about 2-4 weeks for voting?

The top 3-5 projects (depending on the amount of participants) could then be refined a bit before submitting to Lego Ideas.

If this contest receives frontpage support, maybe some prizes could be awarded to the top finalists...?

Let me know your thoughts on my proposition, and also who I need to contact to make this happen!

Thanks for your time,

~M_Slug~

I'm not an economic builder (a single engine can easily do 1000 parts...) so I am curious to see what results come of this contest ;). If I'm inspired I might try and make something of my own, hmmm...

(I do fear that the design constraints will lead to a generic Lego train set much like the ones already in stores. Lego is rather good at those, so it is wise to go for that?)

Edit: I do have a thought that has been in the back of my mind for a while. I'm not sure it'll be within 1000 parts, but lets give it a go.

Edited by Dutchiedoughnut

I would suggest you clear this first with the Eurobricks staff. So that it is not in conflict with anything we are not aware of. Jopiek is our train MOD. :classic:

This sounds more like a 'design a City set' competition than the higher end stuff that is normally the area Ideas covers.

Overall, I like the idea, and might see what I can do, but 1000 parts sounds *very* limiting.

Still, I'll be interested to see how this goes (whether I manage to chip in or not), and no doubt some successful train based Ideas sets would be great.

Hmmm, why "At least one alternate build. (Alternate models do not have to meet the same requirements as the primary model)" ??? m.

Hi all, thanks so much for your feedback!

I think I'll wait a few more days to accumulate more feedback before I submit this to JopieK.

Definitely glad to have already sparked your interests, even if this does not become an official contest.

To address some of your concerns:

Why should we do Lego's job for them?

While I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't even need to pester TLG for better train offerings, unfortunately the time has come to display our collective strength as a community of train fans, as well as flex our own respective muscles as individual builders. The point I'm trying to make basically is that Lego can do a better job than they have, but for mystical internally complicated reasons unbeknownst to us, they have not (yet). And when you get down to it, the whole point of the Ideas site is to gather up an assortment of fan ideas and run them through what seems to be a rigorous design gauntlet. "Fishing for inspiration" you could say. And there's plenty of fish.

Hmmm, why "At least one alternate build. (Alternate models do not have to meet the same requirements as the primary model)" ??? m.

The point of alternate builds (in the history of Lego builds) is to advertise the fact that you, the builder, now have free reign to build whatever you can imagine with the only physical limitation being the actual assortment of parts included with the set. So, the reason behind having to make at least one alternate build is to prove the overall versatility of your final product. Then, the only limitations to the alternate builds are the elements that you chose for the primary build, coupled with the range of your imagination.

This sounds more like a 'design a City set' competition than the higher end stuff that is normally the area Ideas covers.

Overall, I like the idea, and might see what I can do, but 1000 parts sounds *very* limiting.

Still, I'll be interested to see how this goes (whether I manage to chip in or not), and no doubt some successful train based Ideas sets would be great.

The 1000 parts can be extremely limiting! This figure comes from the two most recent complete train set offerings, 60052 and 60098, which have 890 and 985 pieces respectively, and both come in at 160€/200$ (This is the financial ceiling, so to speak). While I love the Creator trains, I'm positive almost everyone can agree that they all felt incomplete, as if only a fraction of a complete set, and that is where the goal of this contest is aimed at: Can you create a train set that lies somewhere between that of a stylish Creator train set and that of a common City train set?

Let's find out, shall we?

~M_Slug~

My Flying Scotsman was 1300 pieces just for the locomotive, without any carriages, but that is quite a large loco. I think this would be doable, probably quite easily doable. Consider that the Constitution train chase set only had about 700 pieces.

I'm not going to be entering though. I already have at least 3 or 4 projects on the go for this year (not all of them trains), which will consume my time and money.

Can you create a train set that lies somewhere between that of a stylish Creator train set and that of a common City train set?

Let's find out, shall we?

I think the answer to that is "yes", but I'm not sure precisely the purpose of the competition.

Don't get me wrong I think it would be a fun thing to do, but if we're hoping to reinvigorate trains on LEGO Ideas then I fear we're going to be disappointed. Lets take the pressure off and make this just a bit of fun. There's nothing to stop anyone submitting their idea to LEGO if they wish, no matter what sort of reception it gets here.

Update (1):

I am currently in the process of trying to construct a set of my own using the given parameters, and have more or less completed what seemed to be the most difficult part; the primary build of the engine. I have to strongly agree that 1k pieces will be frustrating, seeing as how the engine has consumed around 400 pieces already. Not sure if I want the rolling stock to be freight, passenger, or mixed traffic. It will probably have only 2 cars, a very small structure, and the bare minimum in track. Hmmm......

Have any of you started crafting your own set idea?

Update #2:

24733621219_c048a18390.jpgLogging Set Proposal(v1) by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

1st draft of my proposal for a complete train set in under 1000 pieces. Please know that this is in no way meant to be prototypical or era-specific, but just an idea for a potential train set.

The set currently has 915 pieces; 6 minifigs, 20 curved rails, 12 straights, 2 switches, 420 piece engine, 135 pieces of 'wood' as cargo, 4 'skeleton' 2-axle log cars, and one crew cab/flat car. While I decided to not have a trackside structure, I definitely have to find a use for those last 85 parts.

In terms of the contest, I would probably raise the parts count from 1000 up to 1200 or maybe even 1500. Also, I would most likely drop the 'alternate build' portion of the contest, although a set with such versatility equals a more valuable set (imho).

Your thoughts?

~M_Slug~

Hi,

Update #2:

24733621219_c048a18390.jpgLogging Set Proposal(v1) by Nick Jackson, on Flickr

That is a nice composition. When adding parts, just drop some of the "ready to ship" logs and add some living, built tree instead - and a chainsaw, so that the lumberjacks can do their work fell it to get an additional function.

Regards

Xris