Recently I've seen a few MOC Modular builds that were inspired by real buildings. I'm sure we've all walked through our own towns/cities, seen a building and thought, "that'd make a perfect modular" It happened to me walking through Henley on Thames and spotting a branch of Barclays. To date it's my only MOC Modular based on a real building, but I like how it challenged me to recreate what I saw instead of free build.

I thought It'd be nice to create a post for us all to share these builds. Here's mine..... "Bricklays Bank" by Ryan Taggart

IF YOU LIKE MY BUILDS PLEASE SUPPORT MY LEGO IDEAS PROJECT - https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129250

If you're kind enough to post, please add an image of both the build and the real building, HAPPY BUILDING!

e18c7b5bedc079bb3d430ed2b4085d46.jpg

Edited by ryantaggart

very nice, great job, the details in the front are great, it would be hard to get this 100% but you captured the spirit of the building wonderfully

Nicely rendered in LEGO form, especially the first and second floor. Too bad you couldn't get the windows to line up like they do on the real building. The ground floor is perhaps a little too low compared to the original and the doors feel too bulky, which means you cannot fit three windows next to each other. But the main reason I am commenting here is the pattern below the windows on the second floor. A 2 x 2 turntable base, like it is used on 10193 Medieval Market would be perfect.

3680.gif

Nicely rendered in LEGO form, especially the first and second floor. Too bad you couldn't get the windows to line up like they do on the real building. The ground floor is perhaps a little too low compared to the original and the doors feel too bulky, which means you cannot fit three windows next to each other. But the main reason I am commenting here is the pattern below the windows on the second floor. A 2 x 2 turntable base, like it is used on 10193 Medieval Market would be perfect.

3680.gif

Thank you for the feedback. The turntable base is a great suggestion. To be honest this is quite an old build, but I may revisit it one day and I'll take these suggestions on board. Since then I have completed my MODULAR CONSTRUCTION SITE https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129250 I'm amazed to say it's only been on IDEAS two weeks and just now hit 3269 (10th Feb) I'm currently doing the research for my next build. Sometimes the R&D is my favourite part. Thanks again for the comments.

Edited by ryantaggart

Nice job!

My latest modular (almost done) was also inspired by a building in my hometown. I only used it as a source for ideas though and my final model looks quite different. Gonna post it this weekend hopefully. :)

Nicely done! You captured the essence of this perfectly!

I have started modelling real buildings too. 2 of the 3 are not strictly modular standard (in that they link to others), but all are 32x32 footprint. I'll post the one that is in the modular mould.

14108111681_DISPLAY.jpg14108111692_DISPLAY.jpg

The Old Post Office

White River Junction, VT

http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/397056

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100244&hl=%2Bwhite+%2Briver

Edited by andyscouse

My three most recent buildings next to each other at the Lowlug meeting last week:

25046599556_a11862346e_c.jpg

The one on the left is modular standard but completely made up. The one one the right side is modular standard and modeled after this building in Dordrecht, Holland. The middle one is not completely modular standard, although with a width of 48 studs it would fit in. But it's also much deeper than a modular, and doesn't come with a sidewalk. It is modeled after this building in Vianen, Holland.

here's mine. A modern building in Queensland Australia.

I like that a lot. I'm a huge fan of realistic urban builds. Edited by Rick
Don't quote unnecessarily, especially images.

There's some good looking buildings and creations in this thread.

This is a more modest submission from 2014. It's based on a local Art shop (here in rural Missouri) and I ended up balancing the MOC on a speaker stand on the back of my Truck so that I could get a shot of the MOC and the original together.

13779945093_1329c26e9e_c.jpg

More details in the original thread (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94415)

#BuildWhatYouSee!

Well my Crimson Permanent Assurance was based on a movie building, which was based on the Lloyds Register, a real building.

5136607103_a129547039_b.jpg

MP+5+1.jpg

P1250118.JPG

Edited by gotoAndLego

here's mine. A modern building in Queensland Australia.

Oh wow. That's very lovely!

This is a more modest submission from 2014. It's based on a local Art shop (here in rural Missouri) and I ended up balancing the MOC on a speaker stand on the back of my Truck so that I could get a shot of the MOC and the original together.

Mmmm... a sand green modular! That's a wonderful MOC you've got there, it's a fine example of stylistic restraint.

Very good looking building and scale copy. Good work! :)

Max

Thanks Max

I like that a lot. I'm a huge fan of realistic urban builds.

thanks again. Me too. My city is a young one and the old look doesn't do it for me. The only Lego modular i like is the Detectives Office. I have a few more modulars on my site Including new firestations from New York.

Oh wow. That's very lovely!

thanks Jnr Shark.

I found a better photo of my creation from one of the LUG displays

16199681428_9ccf71e4da_z.jpgIMG_8951 by Bricktastic, on Flickr