Chillgoon

First layout - advice!

Hi all - just have got back into Lego trains since being a kid and am setting up a layout on a table tennis table. Have the old load and haul train (converted to PF) and the new cargo train 60052. I also have a horizon express which I am yet to build.

Just looking for some advice on how best add some storage for trains that are not in use. I have sketched something on the attached photo and am looking for thoughts? Basic theory is to have two loops going, one for freight and one passenger with the ability to swap from one loop to the other. I also have a dock area and crane area but am contemplating putting them in the same spot?

If I go with the passing loop option instead of the rail offshoots, it would probably give me the room to have a "water" area for the dock.

Hope I havent rambled on too much - just new to the forum and everyone on here is really helpful.

post-147873-0-65292700-1455099337_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chillgoon

YES! Finally some trains! Clihlgoon this is a masterpiece. I appriciate the use of the two loops. I also like the idea for the train storage but heres a suggestion give the storage a transparent roof with skylights so you can see the trains inside too :)

something tells me this would put a smile on my grandsons face :) :)

First off, your layout looks awesome. I would agree that adding train storage might be nice on the left side, but I think only one track would be needed, and not two as you have drawn. you could store your trains on their respective loops, and have extra freight cars and maybe the red Load and Haul loco the on the side track so you could do some switching action.

Second off, you might want to look into a hosting service for your pictures, as Eurobricks has a rather small limit on the amount of storage space you can use. I would suggest Flickr, Brickshelf or MOC-pages... (be warned though, while Flickr is probably the best for sharing photos, it doesn't allow digital files such as LDraw or LEGO digital designer to be uploaded, if you are into that kinda thing. Moc-pages is better at storing digital designs, but is having problems right now with e-mails not being sent sometimes, making sign-up difficult.)

Does this info help any?

Second off, you might want to look into a hosting service for your pictures, as Eurobricks has a rather small limit on the amount of storage space you can use. I would suggest Flickr, Brickshelf or MOC-pages... (be warned though, while Flickr is probably the best for sharing photos, it doesn't allow digital files such as LDraw or LEGO digital designer to be uploaded, if you are into that kinda thing. Moc-pages is better at storing digital designs, but is having problems right now with e-mails not being sent sometimes, making sign-up difficult.)

Does this info help any?

Murdoch17 - thanks for the advice - because I am new to this forum I couldn't seem to work out how to host the photos somewhere else but still show them on here.

Regarding only needing one offshoot, for the moment yes that is all I need but I do hope to get a few more trains... :) That's why I thought maybe the passing loop in that gap on the right hand side might be ok. I really want to incorporate my old school dock in the layout somewhere. Did you notice the old house from 1983 ? :)