Bregir

[COR - FB2 Feb] The Department of Time, Arlinsport

In every Corlander settlement, where sound scientific principles guide all aspects of everyday life, knowing the time of day is all-important. It guides meals, working hours, arrival and departure of ships and post-chaises, and sets the framework upon which meetings and the like can be coordinated. However, as timepieces are a costly affair, and often unwieldy to carry, most Corlander settlements have an office of the Department of Time, including Arlinsport on Tiberia. To outsiders, typically those from Oleon, these offices are often mistaken for temples, giving rise to many a surprise when seeking spiritual stimulation.

24617828910_750d79a752_c.jpg

Each office has appointed one Keeper of Time (a most respected position in Corrington culture), as well as a number of assistants, tasked with keeping the time. This is done through a series of measures, the most important being the daily noon-reading, where the sun reaching is highest point in the sky indicates noon. The clocks, timepieces and hour glasses of the office are then all reset according to this. However, the fine timepieces of Corlander engineering rarely needs adjustment, and the diligent attendance to the hour glasses of the assistants ensures great accuracy, so that even in periods where no reading of the sun can be made, time is kept close to perfect.

Each hour is heralded by ringing of the big bell, while the small bell denotes the quarters. By these measures, Corlander settlements can be managed in a timely, scientific manner.

Thanks for looking, C&C is welcome.

This is just a small build to utilize the free property license - I am going to license it as an artisan building, I think, considering that this is sort of a craft, more than a commercial service.

It is mainly inspired by the church facades of so many small churches in Italy and Spain.

Nice little build! Very symmetrical, must be some science behind it to optimise the sounds of the ringing bells!

Lovely little garden with that fence too

Very nice little build Bregir, excellent bell, and the idea is a very good one too! pirate_wink.gif Great job on the roof as well, the little bit of black showing at the bottom of each cheese slope makes them all look like they are really some new piece, but it does look cool! pir_laugh2.gifpirate_classic.gif

This does look like a church but it's a really nice facade for this purpose too. The concept is neat, and if you don't mind I might do something similar at some point. I like all the arches and it has a towering presence for the small base. An interior shot showing all the inner workings would be nice though... :wink: Good work, and how fitting from a fellow Corry.

A very interesting idea, sounds like something those impractical dreamy Corries would do. pirate_laugh_new.gif I really like the orientation of the black cheese slopes on top! :thumbup:

Nice idea! Seems like Arlinsport is becoming quite the bustling port to warrant the construction of such a fine temple Office of Time...pir_laugh2.gif

I love the storyline. It fits well into the Corrington ideology. The bell and the backwards black slopes are both great touches that add detail to the build. Keep up the great work.

Yeap, a nice, clean, grave, scientific, official corrish building! I like it! Now where are the gods' statues??

A nice clean build with an excellent back story that fits our nation's philosophies well! Good job!

Great church time department building!!! :D

Although I am not such a huge fan ofthe black cheesy slopes pointing outwards the building. It would have been better (smoother) if they pointed to the next cheesyslope :)

Very suitable building for Corrington! :classic:

Oleanders will of course not tolerate this kind of time-worshipping idolatry in our settlements, but we can't deny that your time-keeping devices are handy also on Oleander ships to aid us in the navigation :wink:

Thanks for your approvals and comments, everyone. :pir-blush:

Nice little build! Very symmetrical, must be some science behind it to optimise the sounds of the ringing bells!

Lovely little garden with that fence too

If I had had more time, I would have built an interior with some workings of the clocks and such, but for now, it must be kept a secret! :pir-tongue:

Very nice little build Bregir, excellent bell, and the idea is a very good one too! :pir-wink: Great job on the roof as well, the little bit of black showing at the bottom of each cheese slope makes them all look like they are really some new piece, but it does look cool! :pir_laugh2::pir-classic:

Thanks, Garmadon. I liked the idea as well, and I had to do something once I felt inspired to do a built in this style - obviously a Corlander Settlement couldn't have some unscientific temple! :pir-grin:

This does look like a church but it's a really nice facade for this purpose too. The concept is neat, and if you don't mind I might do something similar at some point. I like all the arches and it has a towering presence for the small base. An interior shot showing all the inner workings would be nice though... default_blink.gif Good work, and how fitting from a fellow Corry.

You are very welcome to steal/copy/draw inspiration from, or whatever you call it, whether it is the architecture or the Department of Time concept, be my guest! :pir-blush:

I agree about the inner workings, but as I wrote above, I simply didn't have the time - as it is now, Im assure you you do not want to see the inner workings... :pir-wink:

A very interesting idea, sounds like something those impractical dreamy Corries would do. :pir-laugh: I really like the orientation of the black cheese slopes on top! thumbup.gif

Impractical? Well, I suppose such is only to be expected from a mere merchant! One wonders how you can properly conduct your business without due attention to time! Pff! :pir-grin:

Nice idea! Seems like Arlinsport is becoming quite the bustling port to warrant the construction of such a fine temple Office of Time... :pir_laugh2:

I am actually looking forward to seeing if Arlinsport will be forgotten, now we got the new islands... :pir-tongue:

I love the storyline. It fits well into the Corrington ideology. The bell and the backwards black slopes are both great touches that add detail to the build. Keep up the great work.

Thanks! Yes, I thikn this was an interesting take on a cultural aspect of our fine nation, something which I always find fascinating. Practical things like ships and merchants are all very nice, but these things give a bit extra depth to the society! :pir-blush:

Yeap, a nice, clean, grave, scientific, official corrish building! I like it! Now where are the gods' statues??

Time, measurement and scientific principles are all the gods we need! :pir-wink:

A nice clean build with an excellent back story that fits our nation's philosophies well! Good job!

Thanks - I liked the story too!

Great church time department building!!! :D

Although I am not such a huge fan ofthe black cheesy slopes pointing outwards the building. It would have been better (smoother) if they pointed to the next cheesyslope :)

Pointing them the other way looked strange, as they don't nearly reach up to the next level. Thus, I preffered this.

Very suitable building for Corrington! default_classic.gif

Oleanders will of course not tolerate this kind of time-worshipping idolatry in our settlements, but we can't deny that your time-keeping devices are handy also on Oleander ships to aid us in the navigation default_blink.gif

Well, they do seem to come in handy when the longtitude is in question, eh? But before then, I suppose you would simply ask your gods? :pir-wink: