Sign in to follow this  
LegoEomer

[MOC] Streets of Rivendell

Rivendell is a moderately sized town in Avalonia. After Avon was given to Sir Thomas as a gift after the founding of Avalonia, he immediately set to planning a building his city. As learned from the Kaliphlinians, as he had spent some of his life there, he made wide streets, so that disease wouldn't spread easily. The city was also protected by high walls and a well equipped army, and kept clean by street cleaners. After enough parts of the city were built, he moved into a nice house there, until his castle is finished. Today, it is market day, and because the main square is yet to be built, it is very busy. Sir Thomas has also come to see his happy people.

24236012703_97495ac7ac.jpgStreets_of_Rivendell (1) by lego eomer, on Flickr

24769425621_d2c45fd5a8.jpgStreets_of_Rivendell (11) by lego eomer, on Flickr

The tavern on the left.

24836594466_7de0a70099.jpgStreets_of_Rivendell (12) by lego eomer, on Flickr

The merchant's guild headquarters in the middle.

24744980572_d36a6b8a26.jpgStreets_of_Rivendell (13) by lego eomer, on Flickr

The doctor's office on the right.

24234696294_169d4b4b21.jpgStreets_of_Rivendell (14) by lego eomer, on Flickr

The high walls that protect the city.

Thanks for viewing. As always, comments are encouraged and I hope you like it. This is also my largest build in LDD yet. More pictures or enlarged pictures can be found on my Flickr.

Edited by LegoEomer

Some good houses there, my opinion though is to make some in a different color and height. That really makes things up!

I agree, you did a much better job on this one. I do agree with Titus about altering the houses (you obviously made one house with two stalls in front and then coppied it two times), altering the stalls would help too. However, you did well on the the minifig posing; it is fairly natural and lively :thumbup:

Aside from altering things, I think the street itself could still use a lot of work. Texturing with 1x2s, 2x2 and 1x1 square and round tiles in different shades of grey for example. Maybe you could add a lantern here and there.

So I'll be honest, I can name two people that I've seen using Ldraw whose work I can enjoy. I notice most people who use Ldraw, use it to build rare color, or overly large builds, or builds that, when physics are involved, would be very difficult to pull off. That being said your becoming the third person whose Ldraw builds I can enjoy, mostly because they are realistic creations that are solidly built.

Now that we got that out of the way, the buildings are a good color, minifig posing is well done, giving it a lively atmosphere. my suggestion would be variation and texture. Add height to the planks on the roof and use wood, texture the ground and add bits of foliage here and there. You've got a solid skeleton, now add muscle and character to it, if you get what I mean. Otherwise nice job sir.

Some good houses there, my opinion though is to make some in a different color and height. That really makes things up!

I agree with Titus. Nice houses but they are too alike. I would add some more foliage outside the wall.

Nice use of color for the building(s), though I agree that they all look like one right now, because of the uniform shape and style. Some details to keep in mind, that can help spice up a build: vines on the walls, or moss on the roof; off the grid angles; and plenty of detail on the ground. You did a great job with all the figs and animals here :classic:

So I'll be honest, I can name two people that I've seen using Ldraw whose work I can enjoy. I notice most people who use Ldraw, use it to build rare color, or overly large builds, or builds that, when physics are involved, would be very difficult to pull off. That being said your becoming the third person whose Ldraw builds I can enjoy, mostly because they are realistic creations that are solidly built.

Now that we got that out of the way, the buildings are a good color, minifig posing is well done, giving it a lively atmosphere. my suggestion would be variation and texture. Add height to the planks on the roof and use wood, texture the ground and add bits of foliage here and there. You've got a solid skeleton, now add muscle and character to it, if you get what I mean. Otherwise nice job sir.

Haha you should be judge in some reality show- brick factor or eurobricks next top mocer.

I agree that you improved. I still prefer real bricks, but nobody can say there isn't any effort needed for LDD because it takes hours to design builds like this. So I will pretend it would be a real moc.

The line of houses is nice and fits well into Avalonia. And it gives the viewer the feel it would be indeed a large city, not only a single house somewhere in desolation.

That's a good start point, as others havecsaid you ahould work on details now. Advantage of digital builds is that you can try out new things on this file instead of making a whole new thing. Try some SNOT for the half timbered houses, e.g. to frame the windows. Just look at real medieval buildings and see how this architecture works in reality, e.g. how are the border of wood and stone? What looked medieval streets like? Well you said you said your city is clean, so tiles wold be a good thing To depict cobble stone.

Edited by Jacob Nion

Yeah, I should have done that, but I didn't have much time.

I agree, you did a much better job on this one. I do agree with Titus about altering the houses (you obviously made one house with two stalls in front and then coppied it two times), altering the stalls would help too. However, you did well on the the minifig posing; it is fairly natural and lively :thumbup:

Aside from altering things, I think the street itself could still use a lot of work. Texturing with 1x2s, 2x2 and 1x1 square and round tiles in different shades of grey for example. Maybe you could add a lantern here and there.

Thanks. The street is supposed to be new, but you're right, I should have put tiles or something. I planned to put a few lanterns but I forgot. Let's just say that the lanterns are yet to be installed. :wink:

Thanks. I'm going to make a little confession. I use LDD for my builds because to be truthful, I have like 5 or 6 kingdoms/castle sets, so this a build I don't like I could ever have accomplished with real bricks, especially the half timbered houses. I really appreciate how you like my LDD builds.

You're definitely improving! Keep it up!

Thanks! I'm working on my next build already!

I agree with Titus. Nice houses but they are too alike. I would add some more foliage outside the wall.

Well, the city is supposed to be planned, so some houses look the same. Though I can tell you in other parts of town that I will build in the future, there will be different looking houses. Again. like I've said, the town is newly built, so plants have yet to grow.

Nice use of color for the building(s), though I agree that they all look like one right now, because of the uniform shape and style. Some details to keep in mind, that can help spice up a build: vines on the walls, or moss on the roof; off the grid angles; and plenty of detail on the ground. You did a great job with all the figs and animals here :classic:

Thank you. Like I've said, the town is two new for plants to grow, though in the future this town will "age" and I will add some foliage.

Haha you should be judge in some reality show- brick factor or eurobricks next top mocer.

I agree that you improved. I still prefer real bricks, but nobody can say there isn't any effort needed for LDD because it takes hours to design builds like this. So I will pretend it would be a real moc.

The line of houses is nice and fits well into Avalonia. And it gives the viewer the feel it would be indeed a large city, not only a single house somewhere in desolation.

That's a good start point, as others havecsaid you ahould work on details now. Advantage of digital builds is that you can try out new things on this file instead of making a whole new thing. Try some SNOT for the half timbered houses, e.g. to frame the windows. Just look at real medieval buildings and see how this architecture works in reality, e.g. how are the border of wood and stone? What looked medieval streets like? Well you said you said your city is clean, so tiles wold be a good thing To depict cobble stone.

Like I've said, I don't really that many medieval related bricks, so I build in LDD, which I treat like real bricks. I should have used SNOT, which I probably will in one of my next builds. I will also try to put cobblestones too.