quilkin

Help with MOC window, please!

Hello, I am trying to replicate windows in a local building, which is rough stone with a brick arch above the windows:

window.jpg

I have searched for ideas of how to do the arch, including looking at Deborah Higdon's flickr pages.This is the best I have so far:

legowindow.jpg

Problem is the gaps around the 2x1 plates used for the arch, and also the necessary gaps alongside to even up the other bricks/plates.

There isn't a standard arched brick that fits (I don't think). Any suggestions for improving what I have?

Thanks

Thanks for replies.

What if you would use an arch piece

AFAIK there isn't an arch the correct size. Tried them all!

Maybe some cheese slopes can fill in the gaps

An inverted cheese would be good, but doesn't exist . Bigger inverted slopes may work but the 33 degree one isn't available in tan.

Thanks for replies.

AFAIK there isn't an arch the correct size. Tried them all!

An inverted cheese would be good, but doesn't exist . Bigger inverted slopes may work but the 33 degree one isn't available in tan.

Are you sure? - Please Check out the file attached.

I couldnt find that round window piece you used, so i did it with bricks - using the 8 long 2 brick high arch should do the job (see left side).

Middle is an alternate, also including old rockwork. In the right side i did one with cheese pieces, but thats pretty tricky and certainly lots of work to get right....

also i wouldnt go by colour only, you can always mix tan with grey shades, it will give it a more "old" look that way. Most pieces are availiable in grey (maybe swop building colurs in general?)

old windows in arch.lxf

Why not make the orange/red/brown brick arch an outside feature? - Meaning, use a 1x2 plate on each side where your arch begins, instead of a 1x1 - then build the wall flush in tan, using a tan arch to make it all snug. And with the exposed stud end of the 1x2 plate at each bottom, build your brick feature as you have here. So, instead of it running within the 1x1 area that makes the wall, its set outside of it. If you wanted, you could also use some 1x2 inverted slopes at the bottoms to give it a gradual angled outwardness. Comprende?

I hope that makes sense. I'll try to find a reference photo to attach.

When I'm stuck, I usually build upside down. If you build the top part of the wall studs down you'll be able to use all the regular slopes including the cheese slopes. Heck, you might want to build the whole wall studs down!

Dan-147

Are you sure? - Please Check out the file attached.

That's brilliant, thanks Ron. What I hadn't considered is to elevate the 8x2 to make it effectively 3 bricks high.

I couldnt find that round window piece you used

Isn't in LDD yet, but it's here http://alpha.brickli...age?P=20309#T=P

also i wouldnt go by colour only, you can always mix tan with grey shades, it will give it a more "old" look that way. Most pieces are availiable in grey (maybe swop building colurs in general?)

I did try grey and tan, but it didn't look right somehow. Perhaps I'll try again, grey is easier to find than the dark tans/red-brown parts.

Thanks again

Why not make the orange/red/brown brick arch an outside feature? -.I hope that makes sense. I'll try to find a reference photo to attach.

Thanks. Yes, that makes sense, but the 1x1's would need some extra support since they aren't 'properly' connected.

When I'm stuck, I usually build upside down.

Sounds good. I'll remember that!

When I'm stuck, I usually build upside down. If you build the top part of the wall studs down you'll be able to use all the regular slopes including the cheese slopes. Heck, you might want to build the whole wall studs down!

Dan-147

That is great advice - I'll have to remember that myself.

quilkin - I'm sure you already thought of this, but in case you haven't - have you considered using a vehicle mudguard? Maybe a part like the following: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=98282#T=C

Yes, on the one hand, the mudguard will not allow you to get the effect of multiple bricks and colors. But on the other hand, if you use a mudguard, you won't have to worry about the gaps created by trying to recreate that arch.

Well then, how about leaving it as is, but building a layer of wall behind it - so your walls, or at least the portion of it that includes the window feature anyway, is two bricks deep...

I would think about going darker with your walls, also. So the window trim stands out. Or, changing the tone of your windows, if you wish to leave the walls tan. It needs some kind of contrast between window and wall...

I know you may be concerned about losing that tan grout effect, but really, per the photo, the walls are actually darker and the tan grout much smaller, and more 'veiny', so to speak. Tan and/ or LBG round 1x1's might be a better option, when set into a dark tan and brown accented wall, to replicate grout.

I'm not sure. Just some ideas. I find the fun in building is to encounter situations like this, that just seem still 'off' somehow - it forces me stare and to contemplate, and then finally, to plan another course of action. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it takes several attempts - but I rarely scrap anything; just keep working it until it starts to finally please you. And then, you can move on.

Once you get this window and wall down, the rest of the build will flow.

Well then, how about leaving it as is, but building a layer of wall behind it - so your walls, or at least the portion of it that includes the window feature anyway, is two bricks deep...

Thanks. I have now moved the window back half a brick, using dark tan jumpers as a widowsill. This offsets the window better.

I know you may be concerned about losing that tan grout effect, but really, per the photo, the walls are actually darker and the tan grout much smaller, and more 'veiny', so to speak. Tan and/ or LBG round 1x1's might be a better option, when set into a dark tan and brown accented wall, to replicate grout.

Actually I wasn't really trying to replicate the grout; the stones vary from light tan to red-brown although the bit around this particular window is darker than average. I could use light tan plates for the grout, and darker bricks for the stones themselves, but cost comes into it; tan bricks are cheaper than darker ones, and I already have a reasonable stock from the Tower Bridge set. (I need nearly 3000 -studs worth of bricks to finish the walls, and there are eight windows like that one shown..... the curved windows are only available in tan and sand green)

Once you get this window and wall down, the rest of the build will flow.

I hope so. Watch this space for the finished building, I'm pretty sure it will be unique amongst Lego constructions.....