Vorkosigan

[MOC] Modular Medieval Lighthouse

This was a fairly difficult build because of the round tower. I call it modular in the sense that each floor can be removed easily to access the interior. My goal was to portray this small island as a reasonably comfortable place to live for the couple that maintains the signal fire.

8ywchjgh.jpg

uaHTfaJh.jpg

Here we see the process for winching the charcoal up to the storage room right below the top of the tower.

DatRcFjh.jpg

A vegetable garden has been cultivated to supplement the preserved foods and fish available to the residents. A trap door leads into the hidden cove where a boat is stored.

wWzFlieh.jpg

Here are the floors from top to bottom:

tHHABgMh.jpg

cteSKbrh.jpg

2UX0NGSh.jpg

xW1dFs5h.jpg

vBvVXFgh.jpg

2afOlAQh.jpg

very nice, friend

I love the "lonely" feeling that the moc leaves for it's characters :)

This is really really wonderful. The structure itself is fab, but it's the details that I love...especially the vegetable patch and the charcoal winch. Brilliant stuff

This has alot of playability to it. I like the addition of a garden for the person living there, and the boat cave.

Nice idea, but i think that the tower is to narrow. You can only fit the bed inside, I don't even know how you go to use this bed.

IMHO the ground floor looks much better.

Edited by Stelario

I like it! Great job with the details, particularly with making the top of the lighthouse extend out further than the rest of the tower.

Good job. My first MOC was a modular tower using exactly the same technique. :classic:

You should definitely add some more details to the rockwork although doing it the whole way round something like this is very parts intensive. Some 1 x 1 transparent plates would also help to make the water look a bit more natural. As for the tower, adding a second colour (tan for example) would really help the overall feel of the model, one of my MOCs from a couple of years ago was built using this technique and adding tan bricks- Inland Sea Tower As your parts collection expands you could revisit this technique as I have done and add more lecture to the tower, turning it into something like this- Spice Islands Watchtower .

Thanks for all the kind comments!

BrickCurve I have done things with transparent 1x1s on the water, but wanted to try a simple look for the water on this one. Reminds me of old pirates sets with the printed island baseplates. There are of course very cool things to be done with water effects. As for adding tan to the tower, I tend to prefer a less weathered look. I know some find it a bit bland or monochromatic but that is generally on purpose, not from a lack of parts.

At first glance I thought this looked a bit too smooth for something medieval but the interior detail makes up for that. :)

I really like that the tower is modular and that there are small rooms inside all the levels.

How easy is it to take it apart and put together again? I'd imagine that those rounded parts want to shift around quite a bit?

How easy is it to take it apart and put together again? I'd imagine that those rounded parts want to shift around quite a bit?

Its easy to take apart as the sections are only held together with 2 studs, the only difficulty is the possibility of a brick staying stuck to the wrong side.

Putting back together is a little bit fiddly as the sections must be aligned for the spiral pattern an sometimes squeezed a bit to get the roundness consistent.