ncx

Fairground Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Withacee said:

Hmm, interesting. Both my wife and myself were actually quite underwhelmed.
The "drop tower" is quite an eye-sore, and the whole ride actually consists of the two loops.
Volkswagen van T1 (brilliant) versus T2 (pretty much crappy) revisited, as far as we are concerned.
We'll stick to the first roller coaster, which looks a lot better in our opinion.
But hey, I can imagine people liking this. The colour combination is not that bad, to be fair.

I can see your point. The tower dominates, and if you look at it getting the wrong angle, you only see the loops. But from the other side, you see the coaster rail drop too, and I think that balances it out much better.

It's certainly more modern than the classic styling of the last one. I prefer the last one, but this looks really cool, and it's less obviously 'LEGO' in style.

So how many new track elements are used here? I see at least three (lowering 90° right curve, 90° loop segment, and a 4 module track extender). Surprisingly fewer than I would have expected—the set makes use of some clever techniques with existing parts for the large drop and the teardrop-shaped loop.

Edited by Lyichir

About as expected, but as a coaster freak, I must say it kinda looks horrible! But I suppose folks wanted loopings, and to make that work for most people they gotta do it with that height. And then an elevator lift was a must as well anyway.
When it comes to just looks though, the previous coaster looked MUCH better.
Still, excited for a second big coaster, which I certainly didn't expect to begin with.

The most interesting thing about the set though are the corners with slopes. Those are going to be so incredibly useful for about any coaster creation! Just makes me wish for them in red though.
The looping piece (used twice on the big loop, and four times on the small one I suppose) also looks like is slightly shifts for the loop. I guess two studs per piece? Makes me wonder how smooth the entry and exit of those pieces will look like.
Also interesting: The slight descend on the track in the station. I wonder how they designed that without too much bending and stretching.

Edit: Also intriguing:
So if I see it correctly, the set only uses "drop bottom" pieces. Six I think. And obviously there's not any "drop top" pieces. However, In one of the official photos (where the set is getting constructed) there's several of such top pieces visible in the foreground.
I doubt Lego would include them in the photo when they wouldn't be included in the set, especially since it's also a new color. 
So do they just add those pieces because those pieces usually come in pairs anyway, or will there be alternate builds?
In any case, more tracks included would be awesome!

Edited by DragonKhan

32 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

About as expected, but as a coaster freak, I must say it kinda looks horrible! But I suppose folks wanted loopings, and to make that work for most people they gotta do it with that height. And then an elevator lift was a must as well anyway.
When it comes to just looks though, the previous coaster looked MUCH better.
Still, excited for a second big coaster, which I certainly didn't expect to begin with.

The most interesting thing about the set though are the corners with slopes. Those are going to be so incredibly useful for about any coaster creation! Just makes me wish for them in red though.
The looping piece (used twice on the big loop, and four times on the small one I suppose) also looks like is slightly shifts for the loop. I guess two studs per piece? Makes me wonder how smooth the entry and exit of those pieces will look like.
Also interesting: The slight descend on the track in the station. I wonder how they designed that without too much bending and stretching.

Edit: Also intriguing:
So if I see it correctly, the set only uses "drop bottom" pieces. Six I think. And obviously there's not any "drop top" pieces. However, In one of the official photos (where the set is getting constructed) there's several of such top pieces visible in the foreground.
I doubt Lego would include them in the photo when they wouldn't be included in the set, especially since it's also a new color. 
So do they just add those pieces because those pieces usually come in pairs anyway, or will there be alternate builds?
In any case, more tracks included would be awesome!

The "drop top" pieces you describe are used for the canopy over the boarding area! So they're all used in the set.

Edited by Lyichir

2 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

The "drop top" pieces you describe are used for the canopy over the boarding area! So they're all used in the set—a clever way to make sure that each type of rail is paired with their respective counterparts.

Ohhhh! Clever!
Extra pieces that are going to be very useful anyway plus still being used in the set! Awesome!
And if I see it right, there's another straight, small drop piece as well!

Edited by DragonKhan

36 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

Ohhhh! Clever!
Extra pieces that are going to be very useful anyway plus still being used in the set! Awesome!
And if I see it right, there's another straight, small drop piece as well!

That short piece is not new. 

the only new pieces are the inclined curve at the top of the tower and at the bottom of the last loop before the return to the station. And the 90 degree loop pieces that look like they are indeed skewed not bent like others are saying. 

if you look at the higher resolution images of the set at different angles you see these parts are molded that way

i am disappointed in the overall design. It’s too busy. How would this be automated like the first coaster? This one looks like it cannot run on its own because of the tower. 

also why no attempt at trying to make banked curves or a corkscrew piece. The new looping parts suggest it might have a future in making a corkscrew possible because they are not straight like the photos suggest in some angles like the press image from above they skew about 2 or 3 studs the other direction. 

i’d like to see an inverted coaster (yeah that might require a new coaster car design but the track seems to be designed to allow for a dual wheeled design to make a suspended coaster like that). 

only thing I like about this set is the color scheme. Beautiful color choice bad design. Wish they used these colors on the first set. 

Edited by ncx
Better explain

16 minutes ago, ncx said:

That short piece is not new. 

I didn't mean to imply it's new, just that there's another such piece in addition to the one being used already. :)

Edit:
To answer the rest: You're not going to see banked turns or corkscrews. At least not with those cars.
The Loop pieces are possible because you "turn" into the skewed piece. You don't twist into it. For the cars, the track is essentially always "flat" (other than the vertical movement ofc).

Edited by DragonKhan

28 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

I didn't mean to imply it's new, just that there's another such piece in addition to the one being used already. :)

Edit:
To answer the rest: You're not going to see banked turns or corkscrews. At least not with those cars.
The Loop pieces are possible because you "turn" into the skewed piece. You don't twist into it. For the cars, the track is essentially always "flat" (other than the vertical movement ofc).

Not true. A banked piece is possible they just have to design the new piece to not have too much of a degree to which the car has too much friction on the rail. But knowing Lego they only make parts that can be recycled in other sets so that would be the only thing setting the designers back from making a better car design that also works with banked curves and can handle inverted track using a dual wheel design that hugs the rails on both sides like bearings would. 

the first coaster was based on a wooden rollercoaster, likely the one that once resided at Coney Island. 

this one is definitely an intimin styled drop coaster but they didn’t do all the track that way. Just the drop curve (they kinda had no choice but to invert the standard curved pieces to make a 90 degree drop). 

I would like to see a Giga Coaster or an inverted one sometime. (Ie: suspended from the rail so that you’re hanging but strapped in) (not to be confused with a Flying coaster or the 4D coaster. 

also, looks like this coaster is based on this one. It too has an elevator but its a racing drop coaster

superman-and-drop-of.jpg

Edited by ncx
Added image

Wow! The new coaster is certainly super expensive, but also huge and gorgeous!

I'm glad it stands out nicely from the previous coaster set, since that was one of my big concerns when I first heard rumors of it (whether it'd feel new/unique enough compared to the previous Fairground Collection roller coaster set to justify another one so soon). Both the loops and the platform lift mechanism definitely help set it apart from the previous one's simpler downward inclines and chain lift. And the two contrasting color schemes also make them feel very believable as a pair of separate roller coasters that might exist in the same park for riders seeking different sorts of thrills.

I definitely like the three new coaster track molds, and the unconventional uses of some of the previous coaster track molds (such as for the loading platform canopy, the 90-degree vertical drop, and portions of the first loop). Set designers and MOCists have definitely already demonstrated a lot of great non-coaster-related uses for the existing roller coaster track molds — e.g. bridges, ladders, arches, wheels, curved roofs, fences/barricades, and support trusses/scaffolds — and I can only hope that the three new ones will prove similarly versatile!

It's neat that there is a new "park map" with references to previous Fairground Collection sets like the Haunted House drop tower, Ferris Wheel, and Carousel… but it's a shame that since the rides on this park map and the one from the previous roller coaster set overlap, you can't use both in the same layout and have them be accurate. :sceptic:

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the brick lettering, which would be more readable as "LOOP" if the letters were arranged left to right instead of top to bottom. As it is, the two "O"s look more like a "B" due to their smaller size than the "L" and "P", as well as the connecting line meant to mimic the coaster's double-loop layout. I don't expect this set to be on my wish list any time soon, since my wife and I don't have a lot of display space for a set this big! But if I did get it, I would probably mod those letters to make them closer to the same size and arrange them left to right.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, ncx said:

Not true. A banked piece is possible they just have to design the new piece to not have too much of a degree to which the car has too much friction on the rail. But knowing Lego they only make parts that can be recycled in other sets so that would be the only thing setting the designers back from making a better car design that also works with banked curves and can handle inverted track using a dual wheel design that hugs the rails on both sides like bearings would. 

the first coaster was based on a wooden rollercoaster, likely the one that once resided at Coney Island. 

this one is definitely an intimin styled drop coaster but they didn’t do all the track that way. Just the drop curve (they kinda had no choice but to invert the standard curved pieces to make a 90 degree drop). 

I would like to see a Giga Coaster or an inverted one sometime. (Ie: suspended from the rail so that you’re hanging but strapped in) (not to be confused with a Flying coaster or the 4D coaster. 

The problem with banked turns (twists) is the fact that a car has two fixed axles. They would have to be articulated to navigate such a twist without getting stuck.
And while it's absolutely true that Lego makes parts that can be "recycled", it's not the only thing that speaks against such a more elaborate design of tracks and suitable cars/trains. There's the obvious cost, but also the fact that such an elaborate design becomes a LOT more finicky. And many people were already frustrated with the original coaster and not getting it to run well.

I disagree. The original coaster is much more resembling classic fun fair coasters like the Wildcat:
https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=10954

I also wouldn't read too much into the track profile. I don't think they were going for any real inspiration there and just designed a track suitable for the purpose.

Giga coaster? That'd just make it taller. And I'm not sure how much 300ft would translate into Lego.
I think it's a safe bet that we're not going to see that. Same with the inverted coaster. As mentioned, a more elaborate system like that wouldn't make sense, even when it's technically possible.

And the coaster in your photo is nothing similar at all. The "elevator" is just a freefall tower attached to the side of the coaster. The coaster itself just accelerates horizontally, shoots up that tower, and falls back down.
https://rcdb.com/140.htm
There's actually quite a number of such vertical elevators, but this isn't one.

Edited by DragonKhan

32 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

The problem with banked turns (twists) is the fact that a car has two fixed axles. They would have to be articulated to navigate such a twist without getting stuck.
And while it's absolutely true that Lego makes parts that can be "recycled", it's not the only thing that speaks against such a more elaborate design of tracks and suitable cars/trains. There's the obvious cost, but also the fact that such an elaborate design becomes a LOT more finicky. And many people were already frustrated with the original coaster and not getting it to run well.

I disagree. The original coaster is much more resembling classic fun fair coasters like the Wildcat:
https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=10954

I also wouldn't read too much into the track profile. I don't think they were going for any real inspiration there and just designed a track suitable for the purpose.

Giga coaster? That'd just make it taller. And I'm not sure how much 300ft would translate into Lego.
I think it's a safe bet that we're not going to see that. Same with the inverted coaster. As mentioned, a more elaborate system like that wouldn't make sense, even when it's technically possible.

And the coaster in your photo is nothing similar at all. The "elevator" is just a freefall tower attached to the side of the coaster. The coaster itself just accelerates horizontally, shoots up that tower, and falls back down.
https://rcdb.com/140.htm
There's actually quite a number of such vertical elevators, but this isn't one.

Wow, you need to touch grass because everything you just said is not true. But whatever. I’m done with this thread. It’s all speculation at best

the first coaster was inspired by a wooden coaster hence the slope not being steep and the style of supports. 

it’s not nearly resembling a crazy mouse coaster. Those rides don’t use trains they use single cars. 

44 minutes ago, ncx said:

the first coaster was inspired by a wooden coaster hence the slope not being steep and the style of supports. 

it’s not nearly resembling a crazy mouse coaster. Those rides don’t use trains they use single cars. 

The slope not being steep doesn't say anything about it being inspired by a steel or wooden coasters. Many wooden coasters are steeper, and many steel coasters are less steep.
I'd argue they went with a 45 degree slope out of convenience for the system, as you can combine sloped pieces it different ways, as shown in this new loop coaster as well by combining two bottom drop pieces together to make a 90 degree slope.

The link I shared is not a list of "crazy mouse" coasters (spinning cars and VERY different layout). It's the Wildcat model. Very similar looks and layout compared to the Lego coaster, typical steel structure, tubular tracks, and the drops aren't very steep either. I'd actually say they are pretty much the same 45 degrees as the Lego coaster.
True, it uses individual cars instead of trains. But when following that logic, trains on wooden coasters look nothing like it either and are usually much longer as well. Out of my head, I can't really think of any coaster with trains made out of 3 short cars.

I'd argue the biggest give-away that this isn't inspired by wooden coasters is the structure. In my eyes, it's clearly a steel structure that you can see on many non-permanent/movable coasters on fun fairs (Lego even went so far and included the braces on the ground level typical for such coasters). If Lego would've gone for a wooden structure, I'm sure they would've made that more obvious with using brown colors (maybe white), instead of grey/red/blue.

You seem extremely convinced about it being inspired by wooden coasters. Is there any official source to that that I may have missed?

But anyway.
It might be fun to speculate what coaster might've inspired the new loop coaster?
I'd say none really as I think they just wanted to do loops really, but if we'd look for a coaster with an elevator lift that also does inversions, there's literally just one. "Cannibal" in Utah (which actually is a REALLY good ride as well):
https://rcdb.com/11579.htm
Which makes me think that I'll probably want to build a tower around the elevator as well. :D

Edited by DragonKhan

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here but Bricksie (Jordan) pointed out on his YouTube channel that the track spells out LOOP.

The drop into the first loop is like an L

The loops themselves are the Os

The curve out of the second loop, round and back into the entrance platform is shaped like a P.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, ncx said:

i am disappointed in the overall design. It’s too busy. How would this be automated like the first coaster? This one looks like it cannot run on its own because of the tower. 

This video shows that you can do that. It runs continuously:

It really is such an elegant mechanism. Especially when compared to the haunted house, which I love, but it's much more awkward.

I'm still honestly surprised they didn't include the motor and battery at this price, even before the reported price increases.

I don’t know if it’s okay this earlier but I am wondering wht the next set would be… I would love to see a swinging pirate ship, mixer, or drop tower.

21 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I don’t know if it’s okay this earlier but I am wondering wht the next set would be… I would love to see a swinging pirate ship, mixer, or drop tower.

The drop tower was done with the Adventurers-themed Haunted House, while the fairground mixer was the mobile ride from the early 2010's (maybe the first fair ride ever... can't recall). Swinging pirate ship might be doable, though.

57 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

The drop tower was done with the Adventurers-themed Haunted House

I forgot about Haunted House set but that’s not what I mean. You know, drop tower with riders’ seats surrounding it? 

It seems unlikely though, given that they have the Haunted House and Loop Coaster both available, and they've been doing something every other year, roughly. Jedi Jac Penguin lists three completely unknown Icons D2C sets for 2023, so there's a chance, but I suspect it will be next year before we get one.