ncx

Fairground Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It can still happen

The Scooby Doo Haunted House came a couple of years after the Monster Fighters one

Disney HH could happen in like... 2022 or something

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Well, I was really hoping that the next Disneyland set would be the Haunted Mansion

I've been expecting Sleeping Beauty's castle (Disneyland). And I'm surprised it hasn't happened, unless they're waiting for Cinderella's castle (Disney World) to retire first (which does make sense).

Next Disney set could also possibly be something like the Jungle Cruise, Pirates, or one of the coasters (Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, or Matterhorn) or of course the monorail. All of those would also work nicely in a fairground.

The next Disney set won't be an actual attraction, just like the train station and castle are both modified Lego original versions. It'll be another "Disney ____" 

1 hour ago, doclord said:

The next Disney set won't be an actual attraction, just like the train station and castle are both modified Lego original versions. It'll be another "Disney ____" 

Personally I'm hoping for Disney Main Street, which would connect the castle and the train station. With shops and restaurants, lots of Disney characters and the parade. This would allow to continue the open back concept, and would help in big ways in making our own Disneyland...anyway, one is allowed to dream.

10 hours ago, doclord said:

I would argue that Space Mountain is the next most iconic structure, even if you don't have the ride itself. Spaceship Earth would be the other big one, but I would think that one's too boring to sell particularly well. Short of doing a different castle, Main Street or one of of the actual rides are the best options. And Main Street is itself a little too generic, IMO. It would feel more like a mini-modular set than a Disney set.

The Contemporary is pretty recognizable too, but there's no way they'd do a hotel unless it was part of a really big monorail set. A monorail set would, of course, be an instant hit with long-time Lego fans, but what would you put with it to make it appeal to kids and to really make it a Disney Monorail? I don't really think it would be the Contemporary.

8 hours ago, autolycus said:

I would argue that Space Mountain is the next most iconic structure, even if you don't have the ride itself. Spaceship Earth would be the other big one, but I would think that one's too boring to sell particularly well. Short of doing a different castle, Main Street or one of of the actual rides are the best options. And Main Street is itself a little too generic, IMO. It would feel more like a mini-modular set than a Disney set.

The Contemporary is pretty recognizable too, but there's no way they'd do a hotel unless it was part of a really big monorail set. A monorail set would, of course, be an instant hit with long-time Lego fans, but what would you put with it to make it appeal to kids and to really make it a Disney Monorail? I don't really think it would be the Contemporary.

Personally I'd love to see some version of Main Street with a parade of some sort.  A monorail would also be fantastic but I doubt they'd do that so soon after the train just came out.

Officially revealed now. 250USD, 300CAD - no surprises here.

Is the Creator Expert branding dead? I know all 18+ sets will probably have the new box art :hmpf:, but not all Creator Expert sets are 18+.

Junkbot (from one of the old LEGO com games is in one of the real world-building pictures, and is thus in the set! You can see him in this picture in the spoiler tab.

Spoiler

10273_alt9.jpg

Edited by Murdoch17

I am torn on this one.  It really looks nice.  I will probably buy it.  What surprises me the most is that they made this into a fairground set when you have (1) a rather large number of people who really wanted a Disney Haunted Mansion.  Space Mountain is iconic too, but I do not see how you could do it justice in Lego without needing a loan officer to purchase it.  With this in existence, I do not see a HM anytime soon.  And.... (2) you have a whole line dedicated to ghost hunting--The Hidden Side.  That line is screaming out for a haunted house, and I cannot see that happening with this one out there.  Again, it looks great.  I just think there were at least two better options for a haunted house out there.  

Imagine if this was Disney branded, it would be at least an extra 30% more expensive. I don't follow Disney and it doesn't really interest me, along with most of the branded LEGO themes. I just really really like the look of this set. No brand tie-ins to satisfy or compromise the design, plus the 18+ marking, piece count and all the 90s adventurers references just feels like this has been targeted at AFOLs who were 90s kids (like me!)

It also comes out on my birthday so there's that :D 

Can't wait! 

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

Officially revealed now. 250USD, 300CAD - no surprises here.

Is the Creator Expert branding dead? I know all 18+ sets will probably have the new box art :hmpf:, but not all Creator Expert sets are 18+.

Yes:  "Addressing the new packaging, Senior Marketing Manager Anders Hellegaard Iversen said: 'So many of our older builders love the Creator Expert products, as they allow them to show off their passion for the bricks. Whether it’s their favourite film moments, sport icons, travel destinations, buildings, fairgrounds or vehicles, LEGO sets help to bring these to life in brick form. That’s also why we have decided to stop using the Creator Expert branding and, instead, use the new adult-focused packaging design to make it clearer which hobbies or brand products they can relate to. We hope this will make it easier for fans to track down models they would be proud to display once completed. Of course, our product range will continue to include the same advanced-build, collectible products that guarantee hours of building enjoyment for fans.'"

Love it.  I'm in for at least two sets.

The moment I saw this, I thought MALFOY MANOR :grin:

This has all the vibes of the ancestral estate of Harry Potter's schoolyard rival.

wow! They simply took it to another level! So many cool features over there. At first when I heard it's gonna be Haunted House I thought this is going to be boring but designers just nailed it! BEAUTIFUL and smart!

Edited by adwind

I had one question though which still seems unanswered: Which Lego sets officially belong to the Fairground Collection?

Also great set, I also think that the non-brand nostalgia vibe is a great combination with the actual ride. A well done for the designers!

48 minutes ago, Doge said:

I had one question though which still seems unanswered: Which Lego sets officially belong to the Fairground Collection?

I think it's the same ones that officially belong to the Ultimate Collector's Series. Wait, no, that's not right. Maybe it's the ones in the Master Builder Series? No, can't be that. Or the ones that have a display plaque? Hmm... this is gonna be hard. :roflmao:

"Officially" it's currently a collection of 1 single set: Haunted House. Unofficially, I'll bet most people will agree that it's Grand Carousel, Fairground Mixer, Ferris Wheel, Carousel, Roller Coaster, and Haunted House. Those are all of the "Creator Expert" sets that can reasonably be described as "fairground" sets, plus the new Fairground Collection set.

It's going to be interesting to see how they brand the next modular building and also what other "collections" they separate out like this. I'm guessing "Modular Buildings", Architecture, and big themed sets like Hogwarts Castle and Star Wars UCS will be the main things with a specific "collection" nomenclature, but they'll carry over the general box design structure for other future sets like Apollo 11 Lunar Lander, Old Trafford, etc. without a specific branding.

EDIT: Vehicles. There will definitely be some sort of "collection" for vehicles/cars. And Winter Village. Duh! Don't know how I left those two out!

Edited by autolycus

24 minutes ago, autolycus said:

I think it's the same ones that officially belong to the Ultimate Collector's Series. Wait, no, that's not right. Maybe it's the ones in the Master Builder Series? No, can't be that. Or the ones that have a display plaque? Hmm... this is gonna be hard. :roflmao:

"Officially" it's currently a collection of 1 single set: Haunted House. Unofficially, I'll bet most people will agree that it's Grand Carousel, Fairground Mixer, Ferris Wheel, Carousel, Roller Coaster, and Haunted House. Those are all of the "Creator Expert" sets that can reasonably be described as "fairground" sets, plus the new Fairground Collection set.

It's going to be interesting to see how they brand the next modular building and also what other "collections" they separate out like this. I'm guessing "Modular Buildings", Architecture, and big themed sets like Hogwarts Castle and Star Wars UCS will be the main things with a specific "collection" nomenclature, but they'll carry over the general box design structure for other future sets like Apollo 11 Lunar Lander, Old Trafford, etc. without a specific branding.

EDIT: Vehicles. There will definitely be some sort of "collection" for vehicles/cars. And Winter Village. Duh! Don't know how I left those two out!

Thanks for your comment, I think you're right. Perhaps we will now at the 10 year anniversary of the Fairground Collection, whenever that's supposed to be :tongue:

As you suggest, it would be good to have more distinction in current theme's. It's weird that so many sets now fall behind the Creator Expert lines, while the content is so diverse...

Edited by Doge

1 hour ago, autolycus said:

I think that there’s probably going to be one for buildings - Taj Mahal, Old Trafford, Big Ben, Tower Bridge etc. Hogwarts is pretty standalone as an Expert level set, as outside Star Wars there’s hardly any licensed adult stuff.  With the new Star Wars helmets, I hope to see a return of sculpture type sets outside of star wars, such as the old Statue of Liberty, LEGO Minifigure, and LEGO Dragon from around the year 2000. 

Also, I have no idea how long they have been there and if they’ve been mentioned here or not, but if you go onto Brickset and filter to 2020 Creator Expert, the sets 10274-10277 have been added with no details, as well as 40409.  Looks like a pretty good year for Creator Expert even if it’s not branded like that... the most Expert sets in one year previously was 6 in 2010. Including 40409, this is 9! I’m assuming one is WV, plus 1 non standard vehicle (plane, train, space?) plus 2 I have no clue.  Could be a VE Day 75 tie-in?

Edited by Vilhelm22

Long ago I swore off collecting any LEGO sets except for my two absolute favorites, Pirates and Adventurers, which seemed harmless enough since they were both semi-retired themes at the time. Then came the Pirates Roller Coaster, which was a great excuse to get a roller coaster set under the auspices of Pirates collecting without dropping a ton of money on that big, beautiful roller coaster set. (I also love theme parks.) I picked up the Friends Amusement Pier for similar reasons. But fortunately I avoided talking myself into buying the LEGOLAND set since it only has a small Pirate section...until the local Discovery Center emailed me to ask if I wanted to buy it. (I did.)

So now I've got this big, ridiculous theme park layout all over my desk, and (I promise this is true) I'd put the Billund sticker over the LEGOLAND entrance because it's my favorite park, and I thought "Now what I really need is a big haunted house like Billund has", but I knew that would never actually happen because this AFOL was strictly an Adventurers/Pirates guy, so this was as big as the theme park was going to get.

I've never believed that telepathy exists more than I do right now. :laugh: I do sympathize with those of you who were hoping for a more traditional fairgrounds attraction, because this seems squarely targeted at me for some reason. :laugh: Sorry guys!

Well now I've seen more, I like it.....quite a lot actually. While I still would have preferred a ride with more movement over a static building (still hoping for a huge swinging ship with the drive wheels at the bottom like a real one, or an enterprise ride, or NEMESIS!) for what it is, they did a great job, and for the sake of those wanting to build a complete theme park, like Alton Towers (my favourite) it's a good addition. But I have noticed a few comments elsewhere online which I think are kind of weird. 

Some people were commenting things like:

1) there should be multiple floors

2) the minifigs should be able to go in the attic

3) there should be more standing/living space inside the house

4) or the minifigs should look more scary

5) there should be a baron minifig included,

.....and so on and so on. Now this might be TLGs own fault for putting the words "haunted house" so large on the box. Because these commentators don't seem to realise that this is not in fact a haunted house, like the monsters fighters house was. What this set is, is a drop tower theme park ride made to look like a haunted house, not an actual haunted house. You would think that having the words "fairground collection" also on the box would clue people in to that, but you know how some people are. That is why...

1) There aren't multiple floors, because it's not a house where people (or ghosts) live, it's a theme park ride.

2) The minifigures can't go into the attic, because it's a theme park ride. The stuff in the attic is themeing meant to be viewed from the floor, or through the windows of the drop tower as you ascend.

3) There isn't more standing/living space, because it's not a bloody house, it's a them.....you know the rest!

4) The minifigures don't look scary, because they are either regular people at a theme park or they are employees in costume

5) There is no baron minifig included. Why would there be? Even to the minifigs visiting the ride, the Baron character is a fictional character that probably died 100 years ago. I suppose you could have a minifig that represents an employee of the park dressed in costume as Barons ghost, but the fact that he's not seen and kept in mystery, except for a cursed painting, is much better IMHO.

Maybe it would have been better to have "fairground collection" be a little more prominent on the box, and then below the large haunted house text have the words "drop tower ride", just to really spell it out.

2 hours ago, autolycus said:

Actually I think I remember reading somewhere that the original carousel and the fairground mixer aren't considered to be part of this theme, which makes sense. If we were to include those we would have 6 sets in total, two of which would be similarly sized carousels, which would be weird, and the fairground mixer just feels too small and lacking any sense of grandeur to fit in with this theme, much like the original ferris wheel set 4957 and the pirate roller coaster.

Edited by allanp

Looking at the box art I would suggest that the fairground mixer is part of the fairground collection. Though I agree it is a bit off, for me mainly because of it being transportable. Then again, that is a very nice feature of that set. And it did very well in my latest town display together with the newer carousel and ferris wheel. I had more difficulty placing 10261.

I love the new set, especially the combination of system bricks and a little bit of technic. Guess my next display will be some kind of theme park! 

7 hours ago, hagridshut said:

The moment I saw this, I thought MALFOY MANOR :grin:

This has all the vibes of the ancestral estate of Harry Potter's schoolyard rival.

I had the idea to make it a vacation home in my town for Bruce Wayne(if I can find a spot for it, that is). 

On 5/13/2020 at 12:40 PM, allanp said:

Actually I think I remember reading somewhere that the original carousel and the fairground mixer aren't considered to be part of this theme, which makes sense. If we were to include those we would have 6 sets in total, two of which would be similarly sized carousels, which would be weird, and the fairground mixer just feels too small and lacking any sense of grandeur to fit in with this theme, much like the original ferris wheel set 4957 and the pirate roller coaster.

I personally include the Grand Carousel and Fairground Mixer to be apart of the collection.  The overall build and functionality of the newer Carousel can't be denied but the original is definitely a good set on it's own.  And I hated that the newer one didn't have a sound brick which is something that's associated with Carousels.  Also the Fairground mixer is exactly what a fair ride should be.  They all pack up and get moved around from place to place.