ncx

Fairground Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Well, this took me by surprise. I certainly hope we do get a free fall tower. This should be due next year, but it's odd that we're already getting rumors. Speaking of which, where's this rumor coming from? Is the source ("According to Brickmerge") trustworthy?

EDIT: Looks like Brickmerge is an online store. Is this the type of rumor that comes from an online seller putting up a page for an unreleased product?

Edited by Terrasher

brickmerge is a german LEGO set database and price comparison website, not a retailer.

2 minutes ago, mObbY said:

brickmerge is a german LEGO set database and price comparison website, not a retailer.

So it's as if Brickset were to put 10267 - Free fall tower in their database? That seems pretty solid.

what if Lego have released the roller coaster but because of the price are releasing  this one at the normal price as to appeal to more people 

that way the funfair line has a quick spend and a long term spend 

12 hours ago, Benny benny BENNY said:

what if Lego have released the roller coaster but because of the price are releasing  this one at the normal price as to appeal to more people 

that way the funfair line has a quick spend and a long term spend 

I wondered that too.  It's a big set, and costs a lot of money.  There may be demand for a much smaller scale fairgrounds set.  

But that would be too many Roller Coasters released in one year.

The pirates one, Unikitty's and the big one. 

All right, so it's just next year's fairground set, which I assume will be a summer release, just like the rest. Glad to know there's going to be one next year. There were talks that since 2019 should bring a new Landmark set, there wouldn't be a fairground set for that year.

10 hours ago, Terrasher said:

All right, so it's just next year's fairground set, which I assume will be a summer release, just like the rest. Glad to know there's going to be one next year. There were talks that since 2019 should bring a new Landmark set, there wouldn't be a fairground set for that year.

Actually, it looks like Brick Fanatics had reported this would be the case three days ago:

Brick Fanatics - 10267 Free Fall Tower rumoured for LEGO Creator Expert in 2019 

It would be great for all to have a circus in the fairground. With he trucks that carry the dome and the animals

On 8/22/2018 at 6:24 PM, Ggroup said:

It would be great for all to have a circus in the fairground. With he trucks that carry the dome and the animals

It would, but I think the circus with animals is a relic of the past now, just about. I think it's unlikely we'll see a circus from Lego now.

On 8/22/2018 at 12:24 PM, Ggroup said:

3 hours ago, ChrisW said:

It would, but I think the circus with animals is a relic of the past now, just about. I think it's unlikely we'll see a circus from Lego now.

Yes, most likely not a circus with animals, but still hoping for a zoo, but for sure not in this theme :tongue:

On 8/18/2018 at 3:41 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Actually, it looks like Brick Fanatics had reported this would be the case three days ago:

It's great to hear early rumors of the next fairground set and to learn that it looks like there definitely will be one. I think the rollercoaster would always be a hard act to follow but I'm wondering how they'll approach a design for a free fall tower.

A tower would work great with power functions. My slight concern is that by their very nature, these rides tend to be quite plain looking things. Personally I prefer the more elegant models like the carousel and ferris wheel.

Anyway I don't want to sound negative, I'm sure Lego will pull another classic out of the bag.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:41 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

The rumoured ride from the background is not a freefall tower though, but a "star flyer". They are basically chair swing rides on a tower. You don't drop, you slowly ride up and down while spinning. They're only thrillrides if you're afraid of heights. :)

5 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

... My slight concern is that by their very nature, these rides tend to be quite plain looking things. Personally I prefer the more elegant models like the carousel and ferris wheel.

THIS!
In my opinion, a freefall tower is the most plain and boring looking fun-fair ride there could possibly be. A classic chair swings ride or pirate boat ride I'd love to see MUCH more! :)
So I hope the rumours are false and are just coming from the assumption of the ride in the backgrounds is a freefall tower.

Here are some pictures I've found that were taken in the LEGO House. It's a wonderful amusement park with a slightly modified official ferris wheel along with other creations like the "star flyer" that can be found on the background of the boxes of the fairground sets.

lego-house-grosser-rummel-fan-media-days

LEGO-Idea-House-29.jpg

LEGO_House_Szenen-12.jpg

I'd be surprised if they did release two fairground sets this year. A 2019 release is much more likely. 

Not sure if the box art is anything to go off, as far as I'm aware there has never been something in the box art that later turned out to be a future set, but I guess that doesn't neccessarily mean it won't ever happen...

I'd be very happy to see either a high-flying swing ride or a drop tower, amongst other rides. Personally, I find it interesting that the fairground mixer and its sub-models were all portable, and then all 3 sets since are permanent fixtures. I wonder if there will be more portable sets in the future, or if the mixer is simply an outlier?

3 hours ago, The_Nev said:

Not sure if the box art is anything to go off, as far as I'm aware there has never been something in the box art that later turned out to be a future set, but I guess that doesn't neccessarily mean it won't ever happen...

The Rollercoaster set that was released this year was shown on the box of previous fairground sets.... 

14 minutes ago, Kjellevirus said:

The Rollercoaster set that was released this year was shown on the box of previous fairground sets.... 

I don't think you could call the rollercoaster in the art the one in the set, as the art has a loop clearly shown, while the real model obviously doesn't - there wasn't any ferris wheel or carousel on the boxes either, and if they were hinting at future sets, surely they would've included those ones? The mixer was released in 2014, I think its more likely that they were aware of the ferris wheel or even the carousel that were to come in the next three years than the rollercoaster after them. The rollercoaster set does have a ferris wheel in its box art though, which leads me to think that the reason for including a rollercoaster and swing-tower on the box is that they are iconic amusement rides - and as it would be a bit odd having a rollercoaster in the background on the rollercoaster box, they swapped it for another iconic ride, the ferris wheel.

Edited by The_Nev

If they did put out the "star flyer," I wonder how they would account for the centripetal force on the chairs?  That could increase the diameter of the required area quite a bit, depending on the speed of the motor, no?

Have any markets seen the sale of the 10261 Roller Coaster outside of Lego Shop at Home?  

I've been checking the local retailers in the UK like Smyths Toys, etc. who have in the past carried the Creator Fairground sets, but no sign of them selling the big beast.  Do you think it's just too expensive and their buyers are scared to take it on?  Or more likely they have some exclusivity deal with a retailer?

Failing this, anyone know if Shop at home is planning a Triple VIP points offering at some point soon?

10 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

Have any markets seen the sale of the 10261 Roller Coaster outside of Lego Shop at Home?  

I've been checking the local retailers in the UK like Smyths Toys, etc. who have in the past carried the Creator Fairground sets, but no sign of them selling the big beast.  Do you think it's just too expensive and their buyers are scared to take it on?  Or more likely they have some exclusivity deal with a retailer?

It usually takes a few months before the D2C pop up in normal shops, so give it time :classic:

If anyone is interested, I bought the Light My Bricks light kit for the Roller Coaster.  I originally didn't think the coaster needed any lights other than the flashing camera, but it turned out pretty nice.  I like the multi-colored lights on the ground and the light under the canopy where you line up to ride.  I ended up not using the lights that go in the cars.  The batteries to power those lights go in the back car, so you lose a passenger.  I decided I'd rather have all the minifigs riding in the cars than have lights on them.  My least favorite part of the light kit would be the lights over the Coaster sign.  The kit came with a couple plates that you add to the set that just hang over the sign to illuminate it.  I'm not sure what else could have been done, but I'm not crazy about that design.  

How long does everyone see this theme sticking around? They can only do so many rides. I suppose they can just start over with the Ferris Wheel and Carousel in 5-10 years though.