ncx

Fairground Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I noticed the something at the top of the hill. 

There are sets of tires that are connected to the lift hill. As the chain moves, it moves a gear, which moves another gear and results in the tires moving. It's so that the train can move along the top of the coaster, due to the fact that the lift hill won't be enough to get the train to the first drop.

Man I'm loving this set already!

19 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

4124 pieces isn't comparable to Assembly Square because of all the track pieces. 

Anyway, it's 88cm (110 studs) in width and 51cm (64 studs) in height. Very weird dimensions for the width. 

the odd size is contributed by the overhang on the top left of the coaster. if you notice, the coaster has a decent overhang from the base. the main base looks like its 96 studs or 6 16x16 plates wide.  The ferriswheel also has an overhang on both sides

also, Legonerd54321, nice catch, you must have eyes of a hawk, I can't even see the image that clearly. 

Edited by ncx
Reply to Legonerd54321

The technic-axe to the left of the two cranks seems to be the connection point for the Power-Funktions-engine.

A great Set. I think Day-One-Purchase for me.

Does anybody see in wich way these Brickheadz-Glasses are used in the Set (They can be seen on the ebay-picture with the piece-list.).

Edited by Praetorian_Guard

So many amazing details in this set- the height restriction staff, park map and camera on the first drop really capture the experience of riding one of these! This will very likely be a day one purchase and end up being my favorite set of the year. 

DragonKhan- yea, it was Adventureland in Iowa. I must have rode that thing a thousand times! There was another one at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City I rode in 1983, but was gone two years later. It was a bit different and had no trains, just a single car. 

I did not expect the "train" to jump on the chain so fast as shown in the video.

It´s built like in 10261 and looks realy good.

On 23.4.2018 at 2:31 AM, legonerd54321 said:

I noticed the something at the top of the hill. 

There are sets of tires that are connected to the lift hill. As the chain moves, it moves a gear, which moves another gear and results in the tires moving. It's so that the train can move along the top of the coaster, due to the fact that the lift hill won't be enough to get the train to the first drop.

Man I'm loving this set already!

Omg, did you design this beatuy? :laugh: What an observation! :thumbup: What a set!! :wub:

So the prices rumored are about 320 Euros, 380US and 480CAD.

That's really steep for Canada. Though it makes sense with conversion (it's even a few dollars cheaper than it should be), I was expecting 450CAD at most, since TLG sometimes prices sets cheaper than actual conversion (the Death Star is 600CAD, instead of 640CAD).

Press release on thursday. Only two days left.

It seems too be very large, very tall and very expensive. The play features should be very interesting and realistic. It is something i really appreciate in this theme.

I wonder who designed it? Jamie seems to work on different projects now. Maybe it’s a Mike Psiaki creation? He used to build great thing like the last Creator Lighthouse, the Beetle, the Carousel and the Downtown Diner...

38 minutes ago, sebitsena said:

I wonder who designed it? Jamie seems to work on different projects now. Maybe it’s a Mike Psiaki creation? He used to build great thing like the last Creator Lighthouse, the Beetle, the Carousel and the Downtown Diner...

My money is on it being a Mike Psiaki design. It just feels like one of his designs to me and the brick built lettering is done in a pretty similar way to downtown diner.

Hopefully within the next 48 hours we will know all the details. :sweet:

7 hours ago, Terrasher said:

That's really steep for Canada. Though it makes sense with conversion (it's even a few dollars cheaper than it should be), I was expecting 450CAD at most, since TLG sometimes prices sets cheaper than actual conversion (the Death Star is 600CAD, instead of 640CAD).

I believe each country get set their own pricing based on local conditions.  It is not a straight exchange rate conversion.  There are other factors to consider that go into a pricing model spreadsheet.  We'll see on the 26th.

14 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I've heard £240.00 for the UK which sounds very cheap...

On 23.4.2018 at 2:31 AM, legonerd54321 said:

I've noticed that too, and honestly, I'm a bit bummed. I was hoping there would just be a small dip after the lift to get the train going (like on most real coasters). This contraption now is anything but realistic. :sceptic:
But I suppose it might be a solution to get the required height of the coaster without making it another 16 studs wider ...

On 24.4.2018 at 1:56 AM, Galaxy Explorer said:

DragonKhan- yea, it was Adventureland in Iowa. I must have rode that thing a thousand times! There was another one at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City I rode in 1983, but was gone two years later. It was a bit different and had no trains, just a single car. 

Trains are actually more unusual with rides like that. Single cars are more common. :)
The one you rode at Worlds of Fun is another very common ride model from Germany. In case you're interested: https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=10954

1 hour ago, DragonKhan said:

Single cars are more common. :)

In my experience (U.S.), trains of cars are far more common on rollercoasters than single cars.  I have no statistics, just my observation at numerous amusement parks in the United States. 

29 minutes ago, wooster said:

In my experience (U.S.), trains of cars are far more common on rollercoasters than single cars.  I have no statistics, just my observation at numerous amusement parks in the United States. 

He meant for that model of roller coaster. I've been on a number of those and have never seen one with a train.

3 hours ago, DragonKhan said:

Trains are actually more unusual with rides like that. Single cars are more common. :)

But with single cars it won´t work, I think. A single car won´t be able to get around the bend, because it needs the tires, as @legonerd54321 already said.

2 hours ago, Praetorian_Guard said:

But with single cars it won´t work, I think. A single car won´t be able to get around the bend, because it needs the tires, as @legonerd54321 already said.

You are correct. There would be too much friction from the lopsided car dragging on one end. 

I want to know if it will affect the coaster negatively or not if I increase the train size to 5 cars per train. 

1 hour ago, ncx said:

You are correct. There would be too much friction from the lopsided car dragging on one end. 

I want to know if it will affect the coaster negatively or not if I increase the train size to 5 cars per train. 

There probably would not be any problems with the chain as every cart can get stuck in the chain.

I really think it’s genius to reuse the beehives as cotton candy

very intruiged by the bird as well. 

I have bought purple tracks from bnp and made me a real small roller coaster for my daughter, and it is really fun to let it ride. This must be even so much better. If i win a lot of money this summer i’ll buy it!

5 hours ago, wooster said:

As Eaglefan344 already said, I was talking about the classic "figure 8" fun fair coaster that is common around the world. Those usually only have individual cars.
But even when talking about ALL coasters worldwide, I wouldn't be surprised if cars are more common than trains simply because of the unreal amount of "Wild Mouse" Style rides you can find everywhere. :wink:
By the way: For some odd reason, the Lego coaster actually will be called "Die Wilde Maus" in Germany. Which is rather odd to be honest ... :wacko:

1 hour ago, ncx said:

Am I correct in assuming all cars are exactly the same? So each car has two axes? Then lopsiding shouldn't be much of an issue.
Coasters with just one car should theoretically be possible (since there are two axes), but with the reduced mass the loss of speed because of friction would be much higher. So more cars (increasing the mass) is probably better, at least to some point where the train would just create too much friction overall. It'll be interesting to experiment with that indeed! I plan on making longer trains as well. :sweet:

It'd be awesome if Lego would offer a second kind of car with just one axis that could be coupled after the leading car with two axes. It would cut down on friction tremendously! But that's probably too much to ask for. :grin:

Another cool detail I spotted in the pirate coaster:
Have you all noticed how the track is used in one of the alternative builds? Apparently adding track "off angle" (steep to straight) is possible! That'll offer so many possibilities! :laugh:

14 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

By the way: For some odd reason, the Lego coaster actually will be called "Die Wilde Maus" in Germany. Which is rather odd to be honest ... :wacko:

Where do you have that info from? I´ve thought the set would be named "Achterbahn" or "Roller Coaster"(a lot of sets keep their English names for some reason) here in Germany.

Just now, Terrasher said:

Any guesses on the time of the reveal? 3pm EST? Noon EST?

Nah, they're usually earlier than that, aren't they?