ncx

Fairground Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 hours ago, Withacee said:

There are no other options :wink:

Paying rent instead is an option. :P

It looks like a set of carts can be "parked" right before the start of the line. It seemsĀ like the second control handle can be used to slide a double track in and out at this point of the track.

12 minutes ago, Rick said:

It looks like a set of carts can be "parked" right before the start of the line. It seemsĀ like the second control handle can be used to slide a double track in and out at this point of the track.

Nice observation. I never actually paid much attention to that part of the set, but it seems you are right. I assume the second control handle you're referring to is the one that goes through the new-ish Ninjago-style fence?

So we've got 2 out of 3 functions for the handles. The one with the circling arrows is probably for the belt allowing the carts to climb up the coaster, while the one going through the fence (?) operates the cart parking.

What could the one with the arrow pointing left do?

EDIT: Oh, it appears there's a handle right at the track exchange - I didn't see that. So there are 4 handles, 2 of which have been attributed a possible function.

Edited by Terrasher

Thank you all very much for the info! :classic:

At the moment I must say that I can't share the same enthusiasm the most of you do: :sceptic:

Yes, the set looks nice and very realistic, there's a ticket booth and even a lemonade stand and a cotton candy stand exist as some small sidestructures. :thumbup:

But for its immense size it's disappointing that there's no looping and there's not much decoration (lamps, signs, etc.). Plus the size is really, really huge. Another model of this size won't have place in my collection. That it has to be more expensive than the previours Fairground sets is clear - 200 Euro would be fitting, even 250 would already hurt - but 320 would really be usury! There are only three waggons per train (I would have prefered one large train instead) and the number of minifigs is very low. Besides I'm really disappointed of TLG not including any bigger sized sidestructures like food vans or vans with shooting gallerys, ... in their Fairground sets! I can't deny that I get the impression that the Fairground sets rather tend to get standalone sets than sets to build up a whole fairground with all of them together. :thumbdown:

I'll finally judge after having seen the press release. But I fear that it won't change much.

A looping never really had a chance in an official Lego model. Friction on such a small scale would make it pretty much impossible to achieve (and also quite unrealistic looking). For the same reason we won't get to see very long trains, even though I imagine you can just couple several carts together?
A realistic roller coaster model will never truly be possible. That's also why this model appears so huge and tall. It has to be in order for there to be a acceptable amount of track.Ā :wink:
I totally understand the disappointment about the lack of decorations, however I think it would make this model even more expensive. Personally I'm glad they are sticking to theĀ fundamentals, which makes buying multiples much more feasible. I'm also counting 10+ minifigures which, at least for me, is plenty. I don't see how that number can be considered "very low".
Ā 

2 hours ago, Terrasher said:

What could the one with the arrow pointing left do?

I'm pretty sure that crank isĀ just for the "friction wheels" in the station that will move the train forward out of the station.
A also believe that the two other handles are "brakes" of some sort that just hold the trains from crashing into each other. I'm not seeing a double "garage" track to be honest. But I might be totally wrong on that.Ā :sweet:
In any case I'mĀ positively surprised by the amount of functions. That makes the roller coaster nerd in my super happy!Ā :wub:

20 minutes ago, DragonKhan said:

I'm pretty sure that crank isĀ just for the "friction wheels" in the station that will move the train forward out of the station.
A also believe that the two other handles are "brakes" of some sort that just hold the trains from crashing into each other. I'm not seeing a double "garage" track to be honest. But I might be totally wrong on that.Ā :sweet:
In any case I'mĀ positively surprised by the amount of functions. That makes the roller coaster nerd in my super happy!Ā :wub:

Check out the section just before where the light blue carts are. On top of some black plates, you can kinda see that, next to the coaster track that we can clearly see, there seems to be another section of coaster. You can also see, underneath that black plate section, the building technique that allows you to create a "drawer" mechanism to pull something in and out.

Never thought about friction wheels. Thinking about it - you may be absolutely right. Having some small wheels with (maybe) tires would allow the train to be stopped. When turned, they should be able to get the train to the belt of the main climb. I wonder if adding power functions to the belt will also automatically motorize those little wheels, so the train can go round and round without the friction wheels needing to be manually turned every time the train goes back to the beginning.

I'd love to see more side structures! Shame the Ferris Wheel and Carousel don't have any small game stands like the Fairground Mixer did.

3 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I'd love to see more side structures! Shame the Ferris Wheel and Carousel don't have any small game stands like the Fairground Mixer did.

Exactly my thoughts!

Having only very huge rides but nearly no side structures (in a decent size / in a size in the same scale like the rides) makes a fairground not only unrealistic but even less interesting (looking). :thumbdown:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

My thoughts on the cranks

Far right with the circle arrows - moves / slides the rail and spare car rail in and out.

Next to that with the arrow pointing left will be for a small section of chain link to move the cars through the loading platform which will also allow the train to stop at the station.

There might be another crank over the other side near the lift hill which will control that.

I have also noticed there is a camera mounted on the highest down section to ā€œcaptureā€ the riders emotions / screams.Ā 

Cant wait for the official announcementĀ 

I'm pretty certain that the crank with the circle arrows is for the lift chain. I expect that function to be up front just like all other functions and not hidden somewhere in the back.
Having a small chain in the station instead of friction wheels might very much be possible. Especially if the track cross-ties are too tight to allow a wheel to pop through.
Ā 

Having only very huge rides but nearly no side structures (in a decent size / in a size in the same scale like the rides) makes a fairground not only unrealistic but even less interesting (looking). :thumbdown:

With even more side structures the price of the set would skyrocket even higher I'm sure. I get the wish for more side structures, butĀ for the matter of buying multiples, them being limited is a good idea in myĀ opinion. At least there are some stands included. I honestly didn't expect any ...
What I'd love to see would be a specific fairground set with stalls, games etc. without any ride. Then there could be more focus on them as well.Ā :sweet:
Ā 

11 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Check out the section just before where the light blue carts are. On top of some black plates, you can kinda see that, next to the coaster track that we can clearly see, there seems to be another section of coaster. You can also see, underneath that black plate section, the building technique that allows you to create a "drawer" mechanism to pull something in and out.

Never thought about friction wheels. Thinking about it - you may be absolutely right. Having some small wheels with (maybe) tires would allow the train to be stopped. When turned, they should be able to get the train to the belt of the main climb. I wonder if adding power functions to the belt will also automatically motorize those little wheels, so the train can go round and round without the friction wheels needing to be manually turned every time the train goes back to the beginning.

I know what you mean, but I'm still not 100% sure. I probably also don't want to get my hopes up too much since having a transfer track like that would be a huge surprise for me. I never expected Lego to include a function like that!Ā But considering the amount of other functions I can see this being very likely indeed. This really is a set made for coaster enthusiasts like me!Ā :wub:
And yeah, the friction wheels make too much sense to me. I'm just wondering how they wouldĀ getĀ squeezed into the track cross-ties ...
And if you don't want them I'm sure you could easily remove them and have the train just whizz through.Ā :grin:

Edited by DragonKhan

I have wanted a Lego D2C rollercoaster ever since they started doing D2C fairground sets in 2014. So I very thankful that we are getting one. I was shocked at how good this looks when I first saw it. I love the way it looks and just how big it is, I think the colouring is really good and I think the coaster sign looks fantastic. Honestly I think this may be the best out of the Fairground D2C's. I'm hoping for an official announcement soon because I want more pictures. It 's also sort of funny how I am planning on going to a fair type event in May and I assume this is when officialĀ pictures will be released. I will also note how in every Fairground set leading up to this one the rollercoaster has been in every single box art along with a swinger type ride so I assume next year's fairground D2C will be that swinger, should be cool. Ā 

I'm glad it doesn't include more mini stands. The rollercoaster provides the ability to have a relatively cheap and affordable rollercoaster set when we look at what we're getting. Not to mention, unlike previous fairground sets, this set provides the ability to buy it in multiples and hugely expand the set in many ways very easily. If I want small stands, the great thing about Lego is I don't have to wait for an official set, I can extremely easily make some! Id much rather my money going into a roller coaster set was for the majority, going into having as much of a rollercoaster as possible. 10 minifigures is plenty enough as far as I'm concerned, and if I want a longer coaster, it can't be difficult in any way to attach the 2 together to make one long one.Ā 

The size of the set is fine. If you want it smaller, then adjust it, sell the unused pieces, you'll easily find a seller for them, and enjoy the smaller set. I think the size is perfect. A proper rollercoaster is humongous,Ā  so I'd haveĀ  been disappointed (and busing many more multiples) if it was small. It should be big.Ā 

I'm extremely looking forward to getting this, at least 2 for sure. I'm also looking forward to being able to make my own themed sections of the rollercoaster to go through, and incorporating the pirate coaster set into it too!Ā 

4124 pieces... so at best, it's going to be Assembly Square priced. Whether or not I'm going to buy this hinges solely on whether a compatible track pack will be available for a reasonable price.Ā 

Ā 

And while it's true that a Loop is pretty much impossible to achieve smoothly without a huge drop before it (one that would require a much taller structure - which MOCers are sure to build at some point), I don't see any reason why a Corkscrew wouldn't work. Obviously not with the pieces included but if they made another piece with a 90 degree twist, they could make it work.

Ā 

What saddens me is that it's probably not something Lego will continue unless it sells astonishingly well. If the Fairground theme continues, they might make another one in 5 years but I don't see them creating new molds and releasing smaller coaster sets periodically. So what we have now is what we will be stuck with, limiting the options.

4124 pieces isn't comparable to Assembly Square because of all the track pieces.Ā 

Anyway, it's 88cm (110 studs) in widthĀ and 51cm (64 studs)Ā in height. Very weird dimensions for the width.Ā 

Have just seenĀ this rollercoaster on the reddit Lego sub. ItĀ looks really well thought out and I donā€™t mind those red rails one bit. Will definitely beĀ getting it.

Ā 

Although Iā€™m now debating whether to also pick upĀ the upcoming Pirate Roller Coaster.Ā It would have been better if that had been a pirate ship ride.Ā 

4124 pieces? Holy smokes!

I'll be scrambling to sell old LEGO sets for the next three weeks to afford this beast and the Ferris Wheel before it retires.

May the TLG Gods be merciful on the Canadian market.

Ā 

Wow! This set looks absolutely spectacular. There's no way I'll be able to afford it on top of other things though (the upcoming Harry Potter wave, modulars...), so I just hope it stays on shelves for a very long time.Ā :classic:

Oh, my God. I just checked out the image that's on eBay, which has quite high quality, and yup, 88cm long (base) and 51cm tall.Ā 

The issue of available space has suddenly become clear.

EDIT: I just noticed the "Do not stand up" warning at the top! :laugh:

Edited by Terrasher

5 hours ago, Daniel-Technic said:

Well, two possibilities: Either this person is a complete fraud, who just got their hands on the preliminary images, or they actually got their hands on five of the sets (how?) and are trying to take advantage of the gullability of ill-informed customers, while it lasts. Either way, I'd advise to just ignore this seller.

This set will come out very soon, and for a lot less than $ 500, that's for sure...

6 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

And while it's true that a Loop is pretty much impossible to achieve smoothly without a huge drop before it (one that would require a much taller structure - which MOCers are sure to build at some point), I don't see any reason why a Corkscrew wouldn't work. Obviously not with the pieces included but if they made another piece with a 90 degree twist, they could make it work.

The speed is not so much the problem. The problem is that friction can't be scaled and with that the loss of speed then becomes very significant with even the slightest imperfections in the track. I've been through enough working coaster models to know that. If you manage to make a very smooth loop, the initial drop doesn't need to be much higher than what you'd see in real life. But the loop element itself most likely will cause the train/cart to slow down significantly. And that's because of following:
The trackĀ twistsĀ in three dimensions!Ā Slightly in a loop, much more extreme in a corkscrew. The train/carts can't navigate that well because of the fixed axis in the carts (That's a big detail! Modern roller coasters have different wheel assemblies).Ā The train would just get stuck at the entry of the element when the track "twists away", no matter the speed it enters the element with.

A vertical loop might be possible if it would be large enough. The smaller the loop, the less time the straight track has to navigate sideways to clear the entry point. The larger the loop, the less twisting you'd have in the track at the entry and exit of the loop. But it'd still be headache ...

Simply said: With the new system now only two dimensional turns are possible. Either horizontal (the 90 degree turns), or vertical (the valleys and hills). Both (google "space curve") won't work, and that's what most inversion elements need ...

You can trust me on that. I've been a nerdy roller coaster enthusiasts since about 20 years.Ā :grin:

Edited by DragonKhan

18 minutes ago, Galaxy Explorer said:

Apparently someone here in Chicago already has one. It looks similar to a coaster I used to ride when I was young, called "Super Screamer"

Woah, is that person known and are they on instagram or youtube or some forum where we can check more pics?

Probably that person on eBay?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Creator-Roller-Coaster-Expert-16/253576583372?hash=item3b0a5798cc:g:zHAAAOSwaaJa3B-2
Disgraceful ...
Ā 

41 minutes ago, Galaxy Explorer said:

It looks similar to a coaster I used to ride when I was young, called "Super Screamer"

In Iowa? That ride wasĀ the classic and common fun fair coaster model "Galaxi" which you can find all around the world:
https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8355&page=1
Together with other similar models it must have been the inspiration for the Lego coaster. Anything else but the classic figure 8 fun fair coaster (more common in Europe. The "American classic" is wooden) would've been surprising to me. :)
It's almost too bad that that classic figure 8 layout is pretty much impossibleĀ with that new Lego track ...

Edited by DragonKhan

I'm pretty interested to know how this guy got the Roller Coaster actually.Ā :wacko:Ā Anyway, I'm glad to seeĀ more details of the set in higher resolution before it's press release! I like the stands very much.Ā It would be also nice to get another seagull. The look of the undersides of the plates really bothers me though.:def_shrug:

Did you see the hat falling off on the right hand side? And what about the two trees on the right and left corners using the newĀ leaf pieces?Ā :classic:

How on earth could someone have got hold of this set already and be selling it on ebay?Ā  I can only assume it must be a lego employee or someone who has got hold of a copy that has been sent out early by lego for websites to review or something like that.