xboxtravis7992

Train Projects on Lego Ideas

Recommended Posts

On 8/7/2017 at 3:38 AM, paulmaglev said:

This concept is the closest to the 10k milestone I could find on ideas.lego.com:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/bed30d39-3d63-4638-b482-0a5b5c166ec3

2471910-o_1ajifg4svg0j1ekd3sgu2r13437-th

 

This one will really tickle the fancy of some of the locals back home.

Huh, thats a real fance' one! Looks pretty good too!

It seems as if lego releases products from lego ideas pointed twords kids rather than adults. I love savatheaggies ten wheeler, but I don't think that lego is ever going to consider it for an actual product due to custom stickers, wheels, and SNOT etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Alexslegorailroad said:

It seems as if lego releases products from lego ideas pointed twords kids rather than adults. I love savatheaggies ten wheeler, but I don't think that lego is ever going to consider it for an actual product due to custom stickers, wheels, and SNOT etc.

SNOT and custom bits are not nearly as big of an issue as worldwide appeal and easy-to-get licensing agreements are. I think if it were possible to do a "heat map" of sorts for  [texas ten-wheeler] versus [NASA], you'd probably find that more people have heard of that certain space agency more than that retired railroad equipment.

Personally, i think for a serious trains' related Ideas Project, the train needs to be based on a real prototype yet at the same time be generic enough to not be too region-specific.

Or, it needs to be based on a fictional locomotive that's got a metric ton of world-wide appeal (and then some!) This means that some very well known fictional trains are possible, such as:

-Hogwarts Express (4th time?)

-Chuggington

-Wabash Cannonball

-Blaine the Mono

-Big Thunder Mountain Railway

-The Polar Express

-Von Ryan's Express

-Tootle

-The Little Engine that Could

-3:10 to Yuma

-Galaxy Express 999

-Overload

-Charlie the Choo-Choo

- .007

-The Little Red Caboose

-The Darjeeling Limited

-Driver Dan's Story Train

-The Silver Streak

-The Caboose Who Got Loose

-#731

-LoZ: Spirit Tracks

-Ivor the Engine

-Sammy the Shunter

*all these names where provided by wikipedia*

Plz comment below which of these you've heard of vs those that you haven't!

 

~M_slug

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, personally, would rather see a non-fictional train make it.  Something like the New York Central J3A with Henry Dreyfuss streamlining.  The box art would be fantastic.  It has the sort of shape that everyone has seen, even if they can't pick out the specific train it came from.  If I thought I could get 10,000 votes I'd submit mine.

--Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard of Hogwart and Polar Express.  The other ones not that much. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SavaTheAggie said:

I, personally, would rather see a non-fictional train make it.  Something like the New York Central J3A with Henry Dreyfuss streamlining.  The box art would be fantastic.  It has the sort of shape that everyone has seen, even if they can't pick out the specific train it came from.  If I thought I could get 10,000 votes I'd submit mine.

--Tony

YES! I would love to see your Dreyfuss streamlined locomotive as an Ideas project! :excited: :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well then, what would be different and "never before seen" for Lego as far as trains go? Perhaps an early locomotive such as Stephenson's Rocket with some historical significance?

Surprisingly, I think something like this would get up on Ideas!

Now, who wants to build it?! :def_shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 6:08 PM, SavaTheAggie said:

I, personally, would rather see a non-fictional train make it.  Something like the New York Central J3A with Henry Dreyfuss streamlining.  The box art would be fantastic.  It has the sort of shape that everyone has seen, even if they can't pick out the specific train it came from.  If I thought I could get 10,000 votes I'd submit mine.

--Tony

Yasss! See, if lego would just take the time and listen to our ideas instead of turning down products such as the BTTF train, they could make MILLIONS!! Also a J3A sounds fantastic, especially with your building skills!

On 8/8/2017 at 5:34 PM, M_slug357 said:

SNOT and custom bits are not nearly as big of an issue as worldwide appeal and easy-to-get licensing agreements are. I think if it were possible to do a "heat map" of sorts for  [texas ten-wheeler] versus [NASA], you'd probably find that more people have heard of that certain space agency more than that retired railroad equipment.

Personally, i think for a serious trains' related Ideas Project, the train needs to be based on a real prototype yet at the same time be generic enough to not be too region-specific.

Or, it needs to be based on a fictional locomotive that's got a metric ton of world-wide appeal (and then some!) This means that some very well known fictional trains are possible, such as:

-Hogwarts Express (4th time?)

-Chuggington

-Wabash Cannonball

-Blaine the Mono

-Big Thunder Mountain Railway

-The Polar Express

-Von Ryan's Express

-Tootle

-The Little Engine that Could

-3:10 to Yuma

-Galaxy Express 999

-Overload

-Charlie the Choo-Choo

- .007

-The Little Red Caboose

-The Darjeeling Limited

-Driver Dan's Story Train

-The Silver Streak

-The Caboose Who Got Loose

-#731

-LoZ: Spirit Tracks

-Ivor the Engine

-Sammy the Shunter

*all these names where provided by wikipedia*

Plz comment below which of these you've heard of vs those that you haven't!

 

~M_slug

 

I love 999! I also saw a Japanese guy who made a fantastic model of "big one" from the anime galaxy railways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a tram/trolley/streetcar could still pass a Lego Ideas review.  Perhaps the last one failed because it was up against Voltron (which Lego obviously wanted from the previous round) and the apparently popular ship in the bottle, thus making the field too crowded.  While City, Creator, and Winter Village has brought us trains, I do not recall ever seeing a motorized tram in recent years.  These types of vehicles are widely recognized all over the world and are integral parts of many public transportation systems.  In places like New Orleans and San Francisco, they are tourist attractions in their own right.  

It does not seem like the tram would have been too small to be approved.  After all, we had the NASA minifigure battle pack from the last round make it, so I do not think size would be an issue.  I would say, keep trying, and submit some of these vehicles.  If they keep hitting 10,000 votes, sooner or later TLG is going to get the message that we really would like to see one made.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I think a tram/trolley/streetcar could still pass a Lego Ideas review.  Perhaps the last one failed because it was up against Voltron (which Lego obviously wanted from the previous round) and the apparently popular ship in the bottle, thus making the field too crowded. 

 

I don't. If there was a business case for it, it would have passed the review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MAB said:

I don't. If there was a business case for it, it would have passed the review.

I think what might really change the lego Ideas landscape is if they introduced a "2nd chance" option for sets that made it to the review stage, but were then ultimately turned down. For example, if the Vintage Tram idea could reach an additional 5k's worth of support, it could be put on the next review cycle (from when the 5k was reached). However, they would also have much less time to do so-- like less than 6 months?

 

18 hours ago, SavaTheAggie said:

If I thought I could get 10,000 votes I'd submit mine.

You probably should! My only suggestion would be to scale it down to where it's using regular L size wheels for the drivers? Not sure what that'd do to the overall proportions though.

Also, I think it would be nifty if you could incorporate some way to transform the engine from the streamlined J3a:

D70_8289-Edit.jpg

to the workhorse J1e:

K3270-5344S_PT1.jpg

 

What do you think @SavaTheAggie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

I think what might really change the lego Ideas landscape is if they introduced a "2nd chance" option for sets that made it to the review stage, but were then ultimately turned down. For example, if the Vintage Tram idea could reach an additional 5k's worth of support, it could be put on the next review cycle (from when the 5k was reached). However, they would also have much less time to do so-- like less than 6 months?

1

I don't see the point. They already know that there are 10,000 people that voted for it. What would it mean if another 5,000 voted for it again?

The votes are just there to get it to the review board. They then use their expertise to decide whether or not there is a business case for the set. If there wasn't a business case for it first time around, then there won't be second time around. Another 5000 votes is meaningless - they already know the submission is popular as it got in first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MAB said:

I don't see the point. They already know that there are 10,000 people that voted for it. What would it mean if another 5,000 voted for it again? The votes are just there to get it to the review board. They then use their expertise to decide whether or not there is a business case for the set. If there wasn't a business case for it first time around, then there won't be second time around. Another 5000 votes is meaningless - they already know the submission is popular as it got in first time.

Sometimes timing is important! That's why TLG kept the Voltron project on the backburner in the first place!

So, maybe they shouldn't make this 2nd chance opportunity available to every project that has made it to the review stage, but maybe only 1 or 2 of them? This way, the 2nd and 3rd choice projects from each stage would potentially have another shot later on. Additionally, the projects would have to undergo whatever design changes (if necessary) that deemed them a fail the first time around.

It's not a completely pointless thing to add, since business do this all the time- especially with patents & prototypes-- and the last time I checked, The Lego Group is a business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MAB said:

I don't. If there was a business case for it, it would have passed the review.

Maybe, but something tells me that a tram would have a significantly larger target audience than a ship in a bottle.  For the tram, you would have collectors, train enthusiasts, kids and adults alike, and those who have city layouts.  Ship in a bottle just seems like it has a narrower audience, like those just looking for a display piece.  This gives me the feeling that decisions are based on more than just "will x number of people buy this"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2017 at 7:13 PM, SavaTheAggie said:

I am of the firm belief that no train set will ever pass LEGO Ideas unless it's:

  • Attached to a popular IP (i.e. Back to the Future, Thomas, etc - which presents their own issues)

OR

  • Universally Recognized regardless of nationality (something a layman would recognized - the art deco streamliners, Santa Fe Super Chief, Flying Scotsman, etc)

All the trams, trolleys, bullet trains, and highly detailed model quality MOCs aren't worth a hill of beans to LEGO ideas.

--Tony

The San Francisco cable car falls in that second category, that's something that could work well outside AFOLs and trains fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/08/2017 at 11:36 PM, M_slug357 said:

Sometimes timing is important! That's why TLG kept the Voltron project on the backburner in the first place!

So, maybe they shouldn't make this 2nd chance opportunity available to every project that has made it to the review stage, but maybe only 1 or 2 of them? This way, the 2nd and 3rd choice projects from each stage would potentially have another shot later on. Additionally, the projects would have to undergo whatever design changes (if necessary) that deemed them a fail the first time around.

It's not a completely pointless thing to add, since business do this all the time- especially with patents & prototypes-- and the last time I checked, The Lego Group is a business.

For Voltron, they knew there was a business case, but couldn't approve a licensed project without the license. So the delay is getting the licensing sorted.

I don't know what you mean by 2nd and 3rd choice projects, as they don't rank them. They approve or reject, and occassionally delay decision when they want to approve but need to get licenses sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, here you go. Eurobricks user @ChristopherLee has submitted a very nice rendition of the locomotive to Ideas just four days ago. :classic:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9f3d760f-7f73-47d5-adf7-caefbb9c8951

 

Oh that is perfect. Consider it supported. I'm also of the belief that trains are unlikely to make it through Lego Ideas, but it shouldn't stop us from trying. Something recognizable like Rocket might be a good shout. The only downside is the lack of motorization, but I have absolutely no idea how you'd go about doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 5:34 PM, M_slug357 said:

-Hogwarts Express (4th time?)

-Chuggington

-Wabash Cannonball

-Blaine the Mono

-Big Thunder Mountain Railway

-The Polar Express

-Von Ryan's Express

-Tootle

-The Little Engine that Could

-3:10 to Yuma

-Galaxy Express 999

-Overload

-Charlie the Choo-Choo

- .007

-The Little Red Caboose

-The Darjeeling Limited

-Driver Dan's Story Train

-The Silver Streak

-The Caboose Who Got Loose

-#731

-LoZ: Spirit Tracks

-Ivor the Engine

-Sammy the Shunter

*all these names where provided by wikipedia*

Plz comment below which of these you've heard of vs those that you haven't!

Heard of:

Hogwarts Express, Chuggington, Wabash Cannonball, Big Thunder Mountain Railway, The Polar Express, The Little Engine That Could, The Little Red Caboose, The Silver Streak, The Caboose Who Got Loose

Haven't heard of:

Blaine the Mono, Von Ryan's Express, Tootle, 3:10 to Yuma, Galaxy Express 999, Overload, Charlie the Choo-Choo, The Darjeeling Limited, Driver Dan's Story Train, #731, Ivor the Engine, Sammy the Shunter

Ones I have questions on:

.007: James Bond?

LoZ: Spirit Tracks: Legend of Zelda?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2017 at 10:34 AM, BurkusCircus said:

Haven't heard of:

Blaine the Mono, Von Ryan's Express, Tootle, 3:10 to Yuma, Galaxy Express 999, Overload, Charlie the Choo-Choo, The Darjeeling Limited, Driver Dan's Story Train, #731, Ivor the Engine, Sammy the Shunter

Ones I have questions on:

.007: James Bond?

LoZ: Spirit Tracks: Legend of Zelda?

((you don't have to quote the whole block of text!))

~These ones appear in books:  Blaine the Mono, Tootle, Charlie the Choo-Choo, Sammy the Shunter (like TTTE, but with hands!), and Ivor the Engine.

~These ones appear in visual media: Von Ryan's Express, 3:10 to Yuma, Galaxy Express 999, The Darjeeling Limited, and Driver Dan's Story Train.

~".007" is a story that features talking locomotives and was written by Rudyard Kipling in 1896. This predates both the suave spy series (c1950's) as well as the Thomas the Tank Engine series (c1940's).

~And yes, LoZ = Legend of Zelda! It seems someone already attempted this back in 2015: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/12eae6ee-180d-4f37-a12f-932220bea7e5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 10:38 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, here you go. Eurobricks user @ChristopherLee has submitted a very nice rendition of the locomotive to Ideas just four days ago. :classic:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9f3d760f-7f73-47d5-adf7-caefbb9c8951

 

I've supported the loco on Ideas, however, I guess what I meant when I originally said that a submission like this train might get up was that it would need to be something that was larger than life (you could read that as larger than minifig scale).

I honestly think that the only chance that a train will get up on Lego Ideas is some kind of standalone "model" - maybe even larger than 10-wide! It would have to be some kind of impressive looking centre piece that could be displayed prominently in a person's home (like the Saturn V or the Caterham car) and people - who aren't train fans necessarily - might be impressed enough to want it for themselves. The Stephenson's Rocket reminds me of one of those mini steam engine sets you can buy that you can put on a desk (e.g. http://c0728562.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/1112101112_HR.jpg) and it really stands out because of all of the brass and cogs, etc. People - specifically adults as I believe that they are a high purchaser of Lego Ideas sets - might want to build something like this for themselves.

Just my two cents...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fan of Retro-futuristic concepts and other "the future that never was" type stuff, this new Power Functioned project by KristianBeuscl was really cool to see. :sweet:

Zeppelin LEGO Train

Spoiler

4761278-o_1bp4hq9d1a3g1kish8opopfgdc-5Hc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.