xboxtravis7992

Train Projects on Lego Ideas

16 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Seen any noteworthy projects on Ideas recently...?

Here are a few I've seen around recently that caught my eye:

Vintage Train Set by cheeseinthepie

Spoiler

4841180-o_1bse2eloc77sndun7v96b15luc-xUh

Pennsylvania Railroad 1600 - World's Fastest Steam Locomotive - Restyling by francescoprodi

Spoiler

5057997-o_1c3lb2stpn0s19lapdd1mqf1cno-73

Miniature Mallard Train by TWRAddict

Spoiler

5074998-o_1c42jg439lht1phs1od05rlh8ae-zj

33 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Not bad @Digger of Bricks!

It seems as though most train related projects focus heavily on the engine though....

That's actually a really good point.  I bet a complete, not ridiculously detailed (i.e. expensive) set - something like Bachmann's "Old Timer" set done in LEGO, complete with track, would could get more votes as adults, in particular, might think it's actually a good set for kids while those detailed engines would get a pass.  I still doubt it getting enough to succeed, though.  The Christmas trains I've seen on ideas are fairly complete, although maybe they focused too much on the Christmas aspect.  I also don't think they emphasized having a complete, run-able set out of the box (meaning "nothing more to buy," not that it doesn't need to be built).

EDIT: something like the Lone Ranger train, but a complete set, modified for PF, with perhaps slightly larger (and a couple more) cars, including a caboose, full set of track - maybe even with something interesting added, like a turnout.

I'm dreaming, though.  Then you'd want individual cars sold separately, and structures (or maybe they just bring back the western theme).

Edited by fred67

14 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Seen any noteworthy projects on Ideas recently...?

Steamtrains, BR01 was created on September 11th and currently is sitting on 1439 supporters.

4776270-o_1bpk5jnuqqt3tos11h31jd2m31c-PQ

There's Steamtrains, BR93, created on Septmeber 12th currently sitting on 392 supporters.

4779877-o_1bpogo8dc1lqfkcdgsefpd1sfbc-rP

His third engine BR52 was previously identified in this post, and currently has 393 supporters.

David

I supported that last one - the steam train, but question the spacing of the large wheels (typically need less space for LEGO curves, I thought).

I supported the street car, although the image is a bit deceptive (dark), because it looks dark red, but when I asked the builder said it was just red.

The shuttle is interesting - as I've said in the other thread, I think these sorts of trams using the coaster tracks are really neat, but I'm not particularly enamored by this set (mainly the buildings).  I did support it, though.

The Flying Scotsman is way too close to EN, I can't support that.  It's like EN with some minor mods.

I supported the monorail a LONG time ago!  360 supporters.... it's just not happening.  It's hard to blame TLG for avoiding monorail (and even trains, generally) when none of these projects can get any traction.  The closest is the street car.  I wonder if people are OK with small, quality, city transports rather than thinking about the kind of large layout they'd need to "play" with some of these other trains.

Huh - I guess 10194 Emerald Night must have been intended to emulate the Flying Scotsman as closely as possible within the constraints of price point, Lego set build standards, intended audience (Lego fans and train fans who don't care too much about the details), and the lack of a license to make the Flying Scotsman itself.  Being approximately as familiar with the Space Shuttle as many train fans are with the Emerald Night, I would say that Emerald Night (the unlicensed Flying Scotsman without a British Railways logo, at a price point of $100 and a part count of about 1000) is about as accurate/inaccurate as the Shuttle Adventure (the unlicensed Space Shuttle from the same year without a NASA logo, at a price point of $100 and a part count of about 1000).

@paokus I meant no offense to you & your fabulous design... just merely looking at it from a more grounded perspective. It’s difficult to design a decent train-related offering when the last few TLG ones have been... okayyy at best (imho).

My suggestion for your build is to maybe make the rail & road sections reversible— so people can have either an elevated rail for trains or an overpass for cars.

As for all train-related Ideas Projects, Best of Luck to You!!

@M_slug357 

Thank you, I know that your intention is not offensive but constructive, sorry if I did not extend in the previous post, maybe it seemed pretentious, it was not my idea, the tone is lost sometimes. I know that it is an ambitious project, even if this idea is not chosen or it does not reach enough votes, it is a way to publicly teach what can be done with Lego. Now I am making a mountain which the train will pass through it. I've seen somebody there who has already made ramps for trains, maybe ruminant, but effective. My ideas are not to put limits on Lego and maybe that's why it seems daring. Thank you, all constructive feedback is welcome;)