xboxtravis7992

Train Projects on Lego Ideas

I posted my project recently if it peaks anyone's interest they can take a look at it if the please link is in my signature. Great projects though!

-RailCo

Congratulations Henrik! I'm excited, because it seems this is the most likely candidate to reach 10,000 at this point and it seems feasible. It's right around the correct price point, it's got a good amount of support, and it's reached staff picks. Fingers crossed for this one, it'd be awesome to see a 7740 tribute like this.

Congratulations Henrik! I'm excited, because it seems this is the most likely candidate to reach 10,000 at this point and it seems feasible. It's right around the correct price point, it's got a good amount of support, and it's reached staff picks. Fingers crossed for this one, it'd be awesome to see a 7740 tribute like this.

Thanks - I am crossing my fingers and hope for a lot of good luck - it will be needed....

Please vote - let us show LEGO that there are train fans out there and we want TRAINS - lots of trains...

Henrik

I have voted for most of these projects that have been mentioned but alas I am just 1 vote out of 10,000 needed and that feels like such a small drop in the bucket. It would be nice to push more trains through and get them in to the forefront of LEGO's mind (if they are not there already).

I know people say that trains aren't popular and there is no market and we need TV shows and computer games to market products to children and I think that is sad commentary of where we are as a society.

Maybe we need to get some realistic, buildable Railway Series (Thomas the Tank Engine) models through Ideas. As that is all kids seem to know of trains these days.

Here are a couple of articles about traditional railway modelling at it feels rather depressing to me.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/end-of-the-line-for-model-trains-aging-hobbyists-trundle-on-1455157546

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-07/search-for-youth-to-keep-invisible-hobby-on-track/6826026

This shows to me where we are at with railway modelling as a whole.

I do miss the days of the 12v and all the accessories we got. I poured over those catalogues for countless nights dreaming of what my non-existent pocket money could buy. I don't think we'll see those days again for the foreseeable future. The nature of the way children play has changed from when I was a kid. I'm only 33 now. We had our first computer when I was 8 but it wasn't the be all and end all like it is now for some children. My kids don't have computers and don't have phones. They are allowed to watch instructional type videos on occasion but for the most part they make up their own fun. And funnily enough LEGO and their Duplo or LEGO trains are one of the most popular items after playing house or being outside.

You're spot on when you say it's about where we are as a society. There was a programme on tv here the other night, 'Back in time for the weekend' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06zyt4z). A family lived for a week like they were in the 1950's, then a week in the 60's etc.

Seeing the changes condensed like that makes you realise how much has changed. At the end they said that for family time the 70's were the best time. Funnily enough that's before everything was about instant gratification and individualisation. Before walkmans, before personal computers and games computers. When families still played board games together.

Another thing that was pointed out was how few people these days enjoy or take pride in making or repairing something. And that's key to model railroading; imagination, making something.

I hope there will come a generation who will rebel against what's happening now, who will rediscover physical contact and the joy of creating something. With advances in 3D-printing there should be a golden era ahead for model (train) builders.

In the meantime I'll keep attending model railway shows, lowering the average age of the exhibitors and trying to make children enthousiastic about model trains.

By the way, my children have phones and laptops but we also play board- and card games with them and we bake cakes.

To ease your fears; I am 22 years old and I know through Facebook a handful of 18-30 something year old rail modelers in my state. It's a small group, (the old guys out number us still) but the young are there. Recently I even watched on that group a 20 something year old scratch build a 1:87 scale building; with WORKING door hinges... Meanwhile another group member, a high school student has volunteered to take on Big duties in 3 years at the 2019 NRMA Convention to be held in our state.

Not all hope is lost!

Hi.

I've got two locomotives and a train on Ideas. I know i'm not expert in trains like most of people here, but i've tried to do my best in my projects. One is the first posted on this topic (the Swiss Electric Crocodile). Yes, they have started as digital projects, but more than one year later i've finished to build them in bricks. I'm making some good photos and i will add them on Flickr and here in a few days. I know they will never reach 10000 supports, but probably they could encourage Lego to produce more good trains and locomotives. Unfortunately the two locomotives cannot run in order to the heavy weight. These are the links if You like them and want to support.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/97696

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/134535

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/132674

Thanks

I think Lego Ideas may be the strongest way to get Lego to get another train set out at some point, even if nothing makes it through a review stage, it would at least show Lego that people are still willing to buy train sets.

And i'm not just saying this because I have a project up.

If anyone IS interested in taking a look at another project, this is my one here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/136947

26078214765_3d6d58b457_c.jpg

I may also work on a set based on the British A4 Pacific; Engines like Mallard and such.

It is a nice concept. I like the saddle engine. I also like the way how you made the signal. I like steam trains ánd arm signals. You could get so much more out of it here than just adding your idea to an existing topic of months ago. See how PrisonBrick presented his idea: very modest, made a nice post including a lot of details that people can discuss and are discussing. He got even frontpage credits for it!

18 hours ago, JopieK said:

It is a nice concept. I like the saddle engine. I also like the way how you made the signal. I like steam trains ánd arm signals. You could get so much more out of it here than just adding your idea to an existing topic of months ago. See how PrisonBrick presented his idea: very modest, made a nice post including a lot of details that people can discuss and are discussing. He got even frontpage credits for it!

Thank you so much!!!! I am a newbie and I'm on frontpage now... I can't believe!! XD

I love the Orient Express (although I'd really like the station!)

I have also supported the maintenance train and I think it looks particularly well done. 

I have just had an email regarding TLG and Lego Ideas. The vintage tram didnt make it. I'll be honest I have zero intention of buying a ship in a bottle, Infact I thought the set was (ship in a bottle) was a poor choice by TLG.

I am of the firm belief that no train set will ever pass LEGO Ideas unless it's:

• Attached to a popular IP (i.e. Back to the Future, Thomas, etc - which presents their own issues)

OR

• Universally Recognized regardless of nationality (something a layman would recognized - the art deco streamliners, Santa Fe Super Chief, Flying Scotsman, etc)

All the trams, trolleys, bullet trains, and highly detailed model quality MOCs aren't worth a hill of beans to LEGO ideas.

--Tony

10 hours ago, SavaTheAggie said:

I am of the firm belief that no train set will ever pass LEGO Ideas unless it's:

• Attached to a popular IP (i.e. Back to the Future, Thomas, etc - which presents their own issues)

OR

• Universally Recognized regardless of nationality (something a layman would recognized - the art deco streamliners, Santa Fe Super Chief, Flying Scotsman, etc)

All the trams, trolleys, bullet trains, and highly detailed model quality MOCs aren't worth a hill of beans to LEGO ideas.

--Tony

I think that the Ideas staff would seriously consider a well done train project if only one would actually pass the 10K threshold, which really hasn't happened. As far as the one exception to that, I think Ideas rejected the Vintage Tram project is because it was just too small as a standalone. I know a small size may seem like a positive for Ideas projects, but in this case, it just must have seemed too insignificant by itself without something extra.

But, hopefully it will be the start of a new wave of interest in such projects, since after all, those projects need to pass 10K if they are even going to be considered.

I'm with Tony on this one, sadly. I have said in a previous thread where this was discussed that I believe that LEGO Ideas is aimed at finding truly original ideas. Trains are simply derivative, especially as all the major types have already been covered.

I guess the only faint ray of sunshine was the Caterham Seven, as that was also derivative. However, it was an iconic model done well. I wonder if there's any mileage in a train model similarly designed, with removable panels showing internal details, etc.

2 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I'm with Tony on this one, sadly. I have said in a previous thread where this was discussed that I believe that LEGO Ideas is aimed at finding truly original ideas. Trains are simply derivative, especially as all the major types have already been covered.

I guess the only faint ray of sunshine was the Caterham Seven, as that was also derivative. However, it was an iconic model done well. I wonder if there's any mileage in a train model similarly designed, with removable panels showing internal details, etc.

Well then, what would be different and "never before seen" for Lego as far as trains go? Perhaps an early locomotive such as Stephenson's Rocket with some historical significance?

14651841159_7b9af0f5fb_z.jpg