xboxtravis7992

Train Projects on Lego Ideas

So I know that there has been a lot of talk about what needs to be done for Lego to really push Train sets again; and a lot of talk has mentioned the Lego Ideas platform. Recently for the first time; a train related proposal has made it to 10,000 votes on Lego Ideas (a Modular Train Station).

So my question is; should our community make a push to get every high quality train project through Ideas? Maybe if at least one train thing gets into review each review period; we will be more likely to see a Lego train come from Ideas. I want to link to every Lego Ideas topic that involves trains that I can think of, but I am asking this first to see if it is okay with the Mods to form a directory to those projects.

Furthermore, any train projects on Ideas you know of that you think could use our help?

The biggest one I would suggest is the Ten Wheeler project. It's a prefect small locomotive for most people, plus Lego could take a page out of the book the model railway companies use, and do one for a chirstmas set.

The only way to get any LEGO Ideas project to 10,000 supporters is exposure.

The projects need to be blogged to Brothers-Brick, Brickset, Bricknerd, etc, and if we're lucky, the big aggregate sites will pick it up like Gizmodo or Wired (or whatever, quite frankly I'm out of the loop on the non-LEGO sites).

Just like the secret to real estate is location location location.

Exposure exposure exposure.

Eurobricks alone cannot get a project to 10,000.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Indeed - which is why licensed properties do so well as they (along with Lego itself) are a pop culture hook for the non-Lego websites, a shortcut to familiarity which drives easy clicks and advertising revenue for those sites.

Sadly this is why Trains are much more of an uphill struggle to get anywhere near the requisite number - not impossible, but much harder. I will always vote for a good train idea, but it's so sad that they don't get the attention that (I think) they deserve...

I hope there's no problem with advertising my own project, as this thread is about advertising train related projects.

I think the biggest problem with train related projects is that most of them are too big for the Lego Ideas line. Looking at the Ideas sets Lego has approved, all of them were in the price range 30€-60€. Of course one can say that there's always a first time, but I wouldn't trust in that. So my thought was to create a somewhat appealing steam engine which doesn't have too many bricks.

So here's my project:

1585513-o_190qvco861usmn59g9f1ld41i5h7-full.jpg

GWR 14xx class steam engine

A criticism I once read on Brickset (not regarding any specific project) was, that people uploaded projects which they hadn't built in real life, and that was a reason for them to not support them. I think that's rubbish, but still want to show you I have a real version as well. I know my model has just 32 days left, but I never imagined it to get that far. My biggest problem is that I literally didn't have enough time to advertise my project properly. Also the two remaining engines of that class belong to some private person, so the railways they're operating on (I wrote them) weren't motivated to advertise it on their pages. I'm not quite sure, but I plan to upload my model again, this time with images of the real version though as that might get the project more support.

So here's the model (not 100% finished though)

22452306357_bf3101b457_c.jpgGWR 14xx front by ScotNick1, on Flickr

I hope I didn't go off-topic too much, but what I wrote are problems other train projects probably have to face as well.

Edited by ScotNick

Scotnick - I agree, far too many LEGO Ideas projects, train or not, are far too big. The life sized R2D2 that's currently getting a lot of attention comes to mind. That's entirely why I chose to submit my Ten Wheeler over any of my other designs.

I really like your GWR, and I supported it. It's a shame it has so few days remaining, its a worthy project. If we could bump it to 5,000 at least it would get some bonus time, but that does seem a very steep hill to cimb.

I've been trying to plaster my project everywhere I can on my own - Reddit, model train forums, many Facebook groups, LEGO forums, but all I've garnered is 350 supporters in about two weeks. Hardly enough to get you to your halfway goal. Even my YouTube video fell flat.

It's very discouraging.

--Tony

Tony,

It may be discouraging seeing these small support numbers on LEGO Ideas - he heck - I truly believe that there are many, many more train folks not only interested in your ideas, builds, projects, efforts, beautiful models - they give it a try.

I'd take it from another perspective: Train builders are simply good, smart, and skilled. Seeing your photos may inspire them so much that they take it from there.

I believe that photos and instructions(!) is what LEGO train heads get going.

And I believe that this is very encouraging.

And I believe that you have inspired so many uncountable people with your MOCs - it is unbelievably encouraging.

Regards,

Thorsten

Scotnick - I agree, far too many LEGO Ideas projects, train or not, are far too big. The life sized R2D2 that's currently getting a lot of attention comes to mind. That's entirely why I chose to submit my Ten Wheeler over any of my other designs.

I really like your GWR, and I supported it. It's a shame it has so few days remaining, its a worthy project. If we could bump it to 5,000 at least it would get some bonus time, but that does seem a very steep hill to cimb.

I've been trying to plaster my project everywhere I can on my own - Reddit, model train forums, many Facebook groups, LEGO forums, but all I've garnered is 350 supporters in about two weeks. Hardly enough to get you to your halfway goal. Even my YouTube video fell flat.

It's very discouraging.

--Tony

Tony,

I totally know what you mean, I've tried to advertise my project everywhere I can, but still the support leaves a lot to be desired. Also with limited time I know how much work it really is to advertise your project on many different sites - it's a pain!

But still I think you're doing great, if I remember correctly my project had a little bit less supporters in the first days/weeks, or about the same as yours. What's great about your project is the possibility of power functions. One thing that brought me a lot of supporters was that it was a staff pick for a week or so. But my limited time doesn't allow me to write very much or advertise my project on every single site I know.

One big problem about trains is that the appeal of one specific engine is different from continent to continent, let alone the different countries. Another problem is that the majority of steam engines in most countries were just black - not a very appealing colour for the normal Lego fan that is hunting for parts!

Somehow we have to overcome all those problems with one project (but it should have more potential than a simple city train), but I don't know how we're gonna do that.

I hope we can archive something like that someday.

Cheers,

Nick

P.S.: Is the real engine still chugging somewhere in a museum or on a heritage railway? Maybe you could ask them to help you advertise the project if there is such (just in case you haven't already done that)?!

My Ten Wheeler project is based on an operational locomotive here in Texas: the Texas State Railroad #201 / Texas & Pacific #316:

3892176778_92aa532442.jpgTSR-Railfest-09_087 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

They recently repainted and renumbered her to T&P #316, which can be seen here:

http://www.texasstaterr.com/about/engine-info/

I posted the project to the TSRR Facebook Wall, and they shared it as well, which is great.

The original #316 is an oil burner. Under the recommendation of other train builders, in an effort to make her appeal more universal, I rebuilt the tender to include a coal bunker. By removing the stickers I also hoped to avoid any issues with licensing.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Ah the Texas State Railroad was once part of the same corporation that owns the Durango and Silverton. Talked to the owner of that buisness once on a phone interview for a school project. Nice guy.

And if they still own the Texas State Railroad then maybe you can share this to Durango and Silvertons page too; and the D&S is kind of the MOST FAMOUS TOURIST TRAIN IN AMERICA! :)

Hey all.

I my self likes trains. So now that people talk about Lego ideas, i have actually made a creation.

It is more of a subway / underground train - station, but if anything as pointed out. This theme would need exposure from many places.

So take a look at mine and vote if you like. I have just started a few days ago, so the project is all new with a whole year to go :-)

Thanks to anyone who vote :-)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/131214

I have just posted some updates to my set.

So go on in and view it, and if you havent already, hopefully support and feel free to comment :-)

Hey all.

I my self likes trains. So now that people talk about Lego ideas, i have actually made a creation.

It is more of a subway / underground train - station, but if anything as pointed out. This theme would need exposure from many places.

So take a look at mine and vote if you like. I have just started a few days ago, so the project is all new with a whole year to go :-)

Thanks to anyone who vote :-)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/131214

I have just posted some updates to my set.

So go on in and view it, and if you havent already, hopefully support and feel free to comment :-)

Please have a look at our Site Guidelines, which you agreed to when signing up, especially the bits about LEGO Ideas projects and Selling, self promotion and promoting.

Please have a look at our Site Guidelines, which you agreed to when signing up, especially the bits about LEGO Ideas projects and Selling, self promotion and promoting.

I think i am very nice and honest about my post.

I dont feel like i am forcing people to vote on my idea project.

I do write vote IF you like it, and comment.

So as per your message and the guidelines i am in my view within the guidelines.

I hope there's no problem with advertising my own project, as this thread is about advertising train related projects.

I think the biggest problem with train related projects is that most of them are too big for the Lego Ideas line. Looking at the Ideas sets Lego has approved, all of them were in the price range 30€-60€. Of course one can say that there's always a first time, but I wouldn't trust in that. So my thought was to create a somewhat appealing steam engine which doesn't have too many bricks.

So here's my project:

1585513-o_190qvco861usmn59g9f1ld41i5h7-full.jpg

GWR 14xx class steam engine

Darn! I saw this, rushed over to support and I am already supporting it. I cannot believe it has only 1760 supporters with 21 days to go. As you say it is a great sized idea, looks fantastic and should even appeal to fans of The Railway Series (Thomas and Friends). If this one cannot get reasonable support I despair of any decent train idea getting through.

It doesn't help that there's a double bias against LEGO trains. A large percentage of AFOLs aren't interested in the slightest in quality trains (but can it go into space?), and a large percentage of the model train communities won't give us the time of day (LEGO = Toy, period.).

My attempts to get my own project noticed around the web have really highlighted this.

--Tony

It's very discouraging.

--Tony

Yeah. To be perfectly honest, the Lego Ideas community is extremely toxic and insecure about the whole process. People like the R2D2 dude are using the platform to show off, and generate publicity for themselves. (the Kenny Baker R2D2 dude hasn't even updated his project, it's 21 updates of meaningless fluff and self promotion of his social media and other projects) They somehow believe that if they get the votes, it's going to be approved, and that Lego would be willing to produce a $5,000 set for the less than a thousand people in the world who would buy it. It's frustrating, to say the least. The only way to combat this is to flag the spam, self promotion, and low effort projects, like the R2D2 and to put good ideas up there and advertise as much as we can.

Is it ok to mention our own projects in this thread?

2102790-o_19v4nlqahv9u17ta92f1voe1j9n1c-full.png

Airport Express

I feel that a load of projects is just showing off, or a rather undetailed model posted on LEGO Ideas for some reason. It's difficult to get to the really good models.

I feel that a load of projects is just showing off, or a rather undetailed model posted on LEGO Ideas for some reason. It's difficult to get to the really good models.

My biggest thing about a lot of the train ones are we don't know if they actually have made the model of the train. Tony's we know it's been made since its been shown since day one, and Scott's is also a model which we had been made. Plus both are gorgeous models, and really realistic.