Last time when I've tested your app I used a PS3 controller and it worked great but it seems that the PS4 controller can not be used with the app as the current button assigning procedure is designed.

The triggers on the PS4 controller have an output between -1 and 1 (unlike the usual 0 to 1 output). Depressed is always -1, fully pressed is 1 and zero is in the middle. That means the controller will always return two "-1" values, one for each trigger together with whatever other button is pressed. This can be seen in the "game pad tester" function.

One resulting problem is that when I try to assign a new button in your app it will always pick up one of the trigger buttons instead, because their "-1" value somehow takes priority. Possible workarounds I see: Ask what button to assign when more than one is picked up. Or to pick up only positive values.

Also, one problem I foresee is having to convert the -1...1  to 0...1 output for the motor control. This would require a checkbox in the joystick configuration for -1...1 type of analog controls.

EDIT :

I see that Sariel tested your app with a PS4 controller and doesn't have such problems as I do. Could be the driver for PS4 controller in my phone (Note 8)? I'll test with anther phone type and report back. I used a v2 controller but in Sariel's video it seems to have a v1 controller. Also the app was an older version but I doubt this has any influence.

Edited by iuliand
added info

After a lot of testing I found a workaround for using the PS4 controller v2 (CUH-ZCT2E) with BrickController:

After pairing the controller, or after powering it up, don't touch any of the trigger buttons. If by mistake you touch any of them, power off the controller and power it up again (or un-pair and pair again). This way the button assigning procedure in BrickController can be finished without being disrupted by the permanent "-1" signals from the triggers (the trigger signals are only activated after first use of the triggers). The downside is that you can't use the triggers for motor control (which I would find useful for acceleration and braking).

I attached a screenshot of the controller tester with both disruptive trigger signals displayed. Exiting and terminating the app does not get rid of them.

This problem is tied to this controller type and is present on every android device I've tested it (Samsung Note 8 SM-N950F with Android 8.0, Samsung S6 edge with Android 7.0, Lenovo A3500-FL with Android 4.4.2).

ps4controllertester.jpeg

Yes, I've heard this limitation or weird behavior of the PS4 controller. Unfortunately I don't have any so I can't really test it.

Even if you don't have a PS4 controller you could implement a small workaround during button assigning procedure by ignoring analog signals with end of scale values (-1, 0 or 1) and take into consideration only values between -0.99 ... -0.01 and 0.01 ... 0.99 because anyway by touching the joystick or the triggers you will get values in these intervals.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad this is a known problem because I was starting to wonder why I'm the only one mentioning this issue.

Nice job! I hope I can test this at some point, a real physical controller for Sbrick / Buwizz seems just awesome

imurvai I have just tested your app with GameSir G3S and it works great with BuWizz v2 as far as all the steering and functions go.

One thing I cannot seem to figure out is how do I switch modes of BuWizz with your app?

Have you or anyone here figured this out please

9 minutes ago, TheQuoteMan said:

imurvai I have just tested your app with GameSir G3S and it works great with BuWizz v2 as far as all the steering and functions go.

One thing I cannot seem to figure out is how do I switch modes of BuWizz with your app?

Have you or anyone here figured this out please

Hi,

In the current version of the app you can only switch the mode in the device details page.

I have plans to add a switch option on the player page too.

Happy playing :)

Hi There, I have one of these controllers (see image), when I first got it my phone was too old to use so I linked it to my samsung tablet instead.

I now have upgraded my phone so want to link my controller with my phone instead, but silly me I through out the instructions and can't work out how to make it search for a connection anymore.

Does anyone else use the same controller and know how to make it link to a new device.

20180923_185714_2.jpg

16 minutes ago, Oldlegonerd said:

Does anyone else use the same controller and know how to make it link to a new device.

Hi,

My controller looks very similar. You need to pair the controller in the Android settings not in the application. Also be aware that it has 4 modes and only one of them is working as a game controller. It can be switched by the home button on the controller.

Hope it helps. Happy playing! :)

1 hour ago, imurvai said:

Hi,

My controller looks very similar. You need to pair the controller in the Android settings not in the application. Also be aware that it has 4 modes and only one of them is working as a game controller. It can be switched by the home button on the controller.

Hope it helps. Happy playing! :)

I try to search for bluetooth devices from the phone but it can't find any devices, even though i have gotbthe controller switched on and on channel 1. Thought i must  need to do something else with the controller so my phone can find it.

Just now, Oldlegonerd said:

I try to search for bluetooth devices from the phone but it can't find any devices, even though i have gotbthe controller switched on and on channel 1. Thought i must  need to do something else with the controller so my phone can find it.

I had a similar controller, there's a combination of buttons you need to press to switch the controller to discovery mode. If I recall correctly it was the central home button and one of the buttons with a letter, X or Y probably. You'll notice the discovery mode because the led on the controller starts to blink rapidly.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

I had a similar controller, there's a combination of buttons you need to press to switch the controller to discovery mode. If I recall correctly it was the central home button and one of the buttons with a letter, X or Y probably. You'll notice the discovery mode because the led on the controller starts to blink rapidly.

Cool, thanks, that did the trick. Wow I would have never figured that one out, thanks. (It was Home & Y, just in case someone else is having the same problem)

Edited by Oldlegonerd

OK now I have got my controller linked to my phone.

But now when I run the app I get a message saying 'Error during loading creations', so I press OK and then try to add a creation, and I get another message saying 'Error during adding creation'

I have tried uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it but it has not fixed the issue.

I think this might have been from me trying to update the app, by installing it again, as my first issue was that it could not find both of my Buwizz, only one of them.

Oh I'm using a Samsung J3 Pro

Edited by Oldlegonerd
Added Phone type

On 9/23/2018 at 11:50 AM, Oldlegonerd said:

OK now I have got my controller linked to my phone.

But now when I run the app I get a message saying 'Error during loading creations', so I press OK and then try to add a creation, and I get another message saying 'Error during adding creation'

I have tried uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it but it has not fixed the issue.

I think this might have been from me trying to update the app, by installing it again, as my first issue was that it could not find both of my Buwizz, only one of them.

Oh I'm using a Samsung J3 Pro

Uh, this sounds odd. Have you ever updated the app from one version to another? And which version are you running at the moment?
I have also seen such an issue when I updated the creation database structure but a reinstall fixed it. Maybe some permission issue?

Good evening

Tonight i've made the update of some of my app on my phone. I also chek for an update of brickcontroller app. I'upgrade for the 0.32 version after reading some of the last pages of this tread. 

Now when I run the app I get a message saying 'Error during loading creations'

When I press OK and try to add a creation Nothing happens except another message saying 'Error during adding creation

I've tried to uninstall and re install the app...Always same problem

My phone is a Sony Xperia E5 android 6.0

imurvai do you have any solutions ? thanks by advance ...

13 hours ago, miata92 said:

Good evening

Tonight i've made the update of some of my app on my phone. I also chek for an update of brickcontroller app. I'upgrade for the 0.32 version after reading some of the last pages of this tread. 

Now when I run the app I get a message saying 'Error during loading creations'

When I press OK and try to add a creation Nothing happens except another message saying 'Error during adding creation

I've tried to uninstall and re install the app...Always same problem

My phone is a Sony Xperia E5 android 6.0

imurvai do you have any solutions ? thanks by advance ...

Hi,

In the Android settings somewhere (manufacturer dependent) there's a list of installed apps. Find the BrickController and tap 'Clear data'. Both data and cache. Please let me know if it helps.

BR

hi imurvai and many thanks

I ve  just try it in transports and it seems to work correctly. i'll give it a try in the evening with a model but for now it's ok !!

thanks again

Edited by miata92

On 9/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, iuliand said:

Even if you don't have a PS4 controller you could implement a small workaround during button assigning procedure by ignoring analog signals with end of scale values (-1, 0 or 1) and take into consideration only values between -0.99 ... -0.01 and 0.01 ... 0.99 because anyway by touching the joystick or the triggers you will get values in these intervals.

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad this is a known problem because I was starting to wonder why I'm the only one mentioning this issue.

I had the same exact problem, you are not the only one;) After few hours I found the solution - it was exactly what you've written above. But I had the double problem since I tried to setup a few motors at once (few motors per one action), that took me a loot of time to figure out.

imurvaiwas testing the app for quite some time now and it's great! Big thanks for your work.

Hi, imurvai , I found that Dualschock 4controller(ps4) that supports motion detection via a three-axis gyroscope and three-axis accelerometer and vibration, these kind of motion detection gamepad can't properly use in ur app,

it seems like it will always has motion value, so I'cant select the button or joystick I want. And it motion value is not capable to steering or accelerate either.

Can U support Motion controller like PS4's Dualschock in next apk version? Maybe Sbrick source code can make it happen on gamepad.

image.png.23f4eb944a9c7440f29fd0a00310af80.png
Thanks! 

Edited by Derek Yu

Furthermore, If that is possible, hope ur next version can support like sbrick profile designer already has. 
like minimum output, auto reset, reset and start point, these are really useful to control cars like making a simulate idle speed etc.

and the toggle also can set the thing like that. I am wondering why we can't use toggle on Sbrick in ur app?

Thanks! hope these dream will come true :)

未命名 - 1.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. To be honest I haven't used the official SBrick app for a long time so these functions are new to me :) So I have to look into them.

For the PS4 controller support I'd need one to properly add those option.

Anyway in the current app you can setup toggle buttons.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

But it's not Sbrick app, it's profile designer, I use it a lot because it will make more sense to make ur own definitions. Without the profile designer, the official app alone is too boring. I believe not many users knows this thing, because their official site is so confusing.... like where to login and how to get into social forum, and how to link to designer page. So far as I known, It seems has two different user database, so sign up Sbrick app account is not the same as sign up to Social Forum or Designer.     
Check this: https://designer.sbrick.com/  

Ah ha, I found that like joy vertical can't mapping to toggle buttons, some controller's like ps4 Dualschock4, R2 L2 is analog like joy stick, but I really don't know how to define these kind of value mapping to Toggle buttons. Maybe it is not a issue at all.

Also I can understand may be there is not a good source code to use on getting motion signal (3 Axials...and maybe it will combine two or three values at same time? ) It is a hard work, but if we can steering by turning gamepad, must be fantastic!  

Hope you don't mind, I'm somewhat picky, but really hope this project going further :)

Already tried ur system on 2.4G gamepad via Otg dongle attached with 2.4G receiver. 

Your warm reply is definitely appreciated.

Hi,

New version of BrickController is available on the following link: BrickController 0.6

Changes:

- Max output level indicator

- PlayStation DualShock 4 support

- Other minor fixes

Happy playing!

Edited by imurvai
Fixed the apk