anothergol

[MOC] Another AT-ST version 4.5

2 hours ago, La Chupacabra said:

@anothergol

Do you plan version 2.6 ?

Not anytime soon.

The 2.5 plans already included "near future" parts (which are all available by now). I've only been able to think of a few places for very recent parts, nothing major.
For ex, this 6227184 could be replacing the 1x2 plate + slope at the front/top.

Edited by anothergol

16 hours ago, La Chupacabra said:

I have problem with adding lxf file to Bricklink.

Lot of parts don't exist in BL inventory.

Yeah I can imagine, with so many alternate ID's & stuff. I'd suggest using Rebrickable's own inventory (on the MOC's page) instead, it even has Bricklink integration to buy. And if you have doubts about some parts, they will be in there.
Of course if you customized some things, you'll then have to manually add those parts. I'm thinking of updating the inventory now that the cut slope part exists in LBG, & thus the alternate version can be built.

Another year, another version. Flattened the roof, used recent parts in places, redesigned torso, redesigned the legs again. Better, slicker & more fragile as usual.

I've updated the Rebrickable project, 2.5 files still included as legacy, but version 3 now has proper instructions (took ages to do). While I still work mainly in the LDD, I had to switch to Studio for the manual, as the LDD now lacks too many parts.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-14608

48215410596_141cdf1eb3_o_d.png

48215411341_7a923ab524_z_d.jpg

48215458467_80e7e6cc2c_z_d.jpg

That update looks real good (as usual)! I already have two of your v2.5s built. This is difficult, to update or not to update.

30 minutes ago, Frike said:

That update looks real good (as usual)! I already have two of your v2.5s built. This is difficult, to update or not to update.

Mmh, you may even only update parts of them.

While I like the new flat roof, if still keep the old roof as an option, so if you often remove the roof, you're better with the one in 2.5. If not, it's an easy change that doesn't involve too many parts.

The torso has only changed in look, in the back, not really critical.

The legs & feet changed a lot, IMHO they look a lot better, not based on round axles anymore. But the strenght (brick+bar built, the lower legs don't bend like Technic but squeak like System) is still experimental, so you may wait a bit.

In any case there are new 2019 parts that improve the model & are easy swaps.

Edited by anothergol

I'm still working in the LDD, Studio isn't "ready" yet (not before they copy LDD's right-click view-centering, and lower the speed of camera movement.. and implement usable hose-bending.. and fix the bugs).

But it's clear by now that Lego has abandoned the LDD, and I have to provide files with the right parts, not placeholders. I've seen too many of the 2.5 version built with the 2 tan 1x1 tiles at the top, while (as stated in the manual) they were just placeholders for 2x2 triangle tiles not available in the LDD.

Studio is still a great tool to polish LDD-made stuff. Also it allows for professional instructions. Painful to do, but really pro. Not that anything here is "pro" (I've sold 120, & my other MOCs sold as low as 1 or 2), the only pros using Studio are chinese clone-makers.

Edited by anothergol

Wow! The updated roof polishes up its appearance quite nicely!  Now, the only thing holding you back (perhaps) are those studded wedge plates!

The waist is a perfect recreation of the actual fictional vehicle—top notch!

The feet are a nice improvement too, especially the assembly of the fence cutters!

7 hours ago, LiLmeFromDaFuture said:

Wow! The updated roof polishes up its appearance quite nicely!  Now, the only thing holding you back (perhaps) are those studded wedge plates!

Thanks!

I think getting rid of those would require a major redesign & to use bricks, but these would have drawbacks as well. Next year maybe :)

Hey, I was checking out the updated instructions just now. I'm not gonna update my 2.5's any time soon but I figured I'd check it out at least. I can see amongst the "Extras" you got some alternative builds just like previous iterations. Specifically my question is regarding the two big wedge plates used for the roof and the dishes on the sides. The wedge plates, 2413, are still present in the "Extras" file. As for the dishes holding the cannons, I managed to find 10 (!!) 6942 really cheap when building mine last year but I know that those were also hard to come by. Are the flatter and slightly bigger dishes an alternative because of availability or would you say that they are more accurate? Obviously I'd wanna stick with the pieces I already have if I ever decide to update but I also want the most accurate version possible. And there is no one better to ask than the AT-ST expert himself!

Edit: The new hatch on the roof, which looks great, does not seem to be compatible with the older roof.

Edited by Frike

38 minutes ago, Frike said:

Are the flatter and slightly bigger dishes an alternative because of availability or would you say that they are more accurate? Obviously I'd wanna stick with the pieces I already have if I ever decide to update but I also want the most accurate version possible. And there is no one better to ask than the AT-ST expert himself!

Edit: The new hatch on the roof, which looks great, does not seem to be compatible with the older roof.

Depends. The 5x5 dish has the perfect size for the one on Endor. On Hoth they had larger dishes, but also a slightly different shape. Depends what you're looking for.
Yeah the Scala dishes are now rare in LBG (I've too stocked a couple, pretty useful part), but I've seen people use the DBG ones (ironically from Lego's own AT-ST, while they should have been LBG there).
The *shape* of the Scala dish is in no way accurate, but until we get a proper 5x5 dish, it's still the best option. And the 4x4 dish isn't an option because that old thing isn't even hollow.

And no, the new 4x4 round tile is pretty much a minifig display stand and can't be attached to the old roof, but I actually prefer the turntable as a hatch, on the old one.

If you want he most accurate version, you may just update the legs, even though for the thighs I favored cool shapes over of accuracy. And also the feet are too long, but it's either the "roundness" feature, or the correct size but blocky feet.

Edited by anothergol

Hey @anothergol, so I finally pulled the trigger on v3, the first MOC of someone else's that I've made. I figured something that's so detailed, with over three years of revisions would probably have a lot to teach me. I'm actually building two of them, and it's been a lot of fun so far. Mostly done, but I've been using a lot of parts from my collection, and I need to order a few more to finish up.

Anyway, I knew that this was a display model going into it, so I've been pretty easy going when it comes to durability. The only thing that's really bugged me so far were the assembles added on pages 92 and 123, as they fell off when I tried to attach the shroud. I thought there had to be some way to lock them into place with more than one stud, so I added what's shown below (i.e., two of the new 1x1 lbg brackets, plus a 1x1 lbg plate):

3caqOFp.jpg

Nothing's that simple with such a carefully fitted model, so this also requires modifying the rear of the "head" to fit these added brackets. More detail on that here: https://imgur.com/a/WmTtYO9

I like how it turned out, and so far as I can tell the shroud seems to fit just as well as before. What do you think? Was I missing anything when it came to those assemblies? Either way, thanks for making the instructions available.

Edited by Raskolnikov

5 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Nothing's that simple with such a carefully fitted model, so this also requires modifying the rear of the "head" to fit these added brackets. More detail on that here: https://imgur.com/a/WmTtYO9

I like how it turned out, and so far as I can tell the shroud seems to fit just as well as before. What do you think? Was I missing anything when it came to those assemblies? Either way, thanks for making the instructions available.

Hi,

Looks like a good idea, if you managed to fit it, it's great. I had tried nearly everything the LDD could do, but 1x1 brackets didn't exist yet when I added that lip, and they still don't exist in the LDD (in which I still maintain the model), so it's definitely something I hadn't tested.

So if the back is still solid (which is critical, since any energy applied to the side panels must go through the spine to the head's ball joint securely), well it's perfect.

Here I didn't have much problems with the lips falling, but it probably has to do with 1x1 round plates not always having the same clutch. Well you'll see you will have more troubles with the new studless roof design, I see you went for that one. And also the back splitted lip of the body (the ones attached to the pistol), I still haven't found any better solution for that one. Oh and the ski's under the body, those bloody things keep moving, but here too, haven't found anything fitting better (used to be shovels, but those are too narrow).

Edited by anothergol

Yeah those 1x1 brackets seem to solve a lot of problems.

Well you'll see you will have more troubles with the new studless roof design, I see you went for that one. And also the back splitted lip of the body (the ones attached to the pistol), I still haven't found any better solution for that one. Oh and the ski's under the body, those bloody things keep moving, but here too, haven't found anything fitting better (used to be shovels, but those are too narrow).

Heh, I just went ahead with v3 without considering previous versions. It was just a little confusing at first, but once I realized you can tilt that spoiler-looking thing with five grilles to keep the halves in place, it seems to work fine and looks pretty slick. It'd definitely be nice if all the roof chunks were connected together as a single module, but I imagine that'd be difficult.

Yeah, I've knocked the skis off a bunch, too, but that seems fine since they're easy to repair. I only felt compelled to change the assemblies that hang down from the shroud on pp. 92, 123 because reconnecting them was difficult with the shroud on. The split back thingy also seemed ok, although the hole in that pistol/nozzle piece tends to make one side looser than the other. Would it be better to replace the studded 1x2 brick and pistol/nozzle with instead a 1x2 technic brick and a pnuematic t-shaped bar (held in place with 1x1 round plate with hole, or small pin)?

3 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Would it be better to replace the studded 1x2 brick and pistol/nozzle with instead a 1x2 technic brick and a pnuematic t-shaped bar (held in place with 1x1 round plate with hole, or small pin)?

Well, during WIP I was using a T-bar but done another way & it wasn't good.

If you use a 1x2 technic brick with an axle hole, the T-bar won't be inside deep enough to hold well. If you use a brick with a small pin only it will wobble, and if you put a stud with hole, we're getting into "illegal" builds, as the technic hole is a little higher & the round plate will hit the part above (not detected by the LDD). So these are still ok & working solutions, but ultimately less good than the pistol IMHO.

Also ideally I would like to attach the 2 halves together, but I couldn't find a way to (there's a way using brackets, but in a way that doesn't work at all with real ones). Perhaps when 1x1 downwards brackets will exist in DBG there will be a proper way.

Edited by anothergol

Normally you'd use the one from Rebrickable, in which I've manually updated all the "any color" parts (the ones in blue in Rebrickable), since Studio has no concept of "any color".

If I check the Studio part list for the main model, I get:

-all of the bright phosphorecent green parts that (obviously) don't exist, those are "any color"

-a black rubber tire, which I had to define in black because in "rubber black" it was troubles in Rebrickable I believe(?)

-a 3049b in DBG that definitely exists & is new for 2019, but perhaps is a 3049c or whatever

-a Technic socket in DBG which most likely has another # (definitely does exist on Bricklink)

-a LBG gold ingot, probably another #, I don't know why Studio has a flat one

-a tile+clip in LBG, pretty sure ALL tile+clip exist in LBG

-a 18L hose in LBG, this one has to be cut from a longer one

-a 32627 that definitely does exist in LBG, but I suspect I added it myself & it's not YET in Studio's database. I wonder how the model displays for you?

So yeah, lots of errors, that's why I suggest using Rebrickable's list instead, which I manually edited (took ages).

Edit: so apparently I did add 32627 to my local Studio database myself, and as of today it's not yet in the list. So I imagine everyone is still seeing a placeholder instead. Not a big problem, but this is how it's normally displayed.

AT-ST_Studio_4x4Round.jpg

(also, Studio did already support tube-bending when I did the project, however it's hell to use, props to the one who can really bend that thing properly :)

Edited by anothergol

On 8/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Hey @anothergol, so I finally pulled the trigger on v3, the first MOC of someone else's that I've made. I figured something that's so detailed, with over three years of revisions would probably have a lot to teach me. I'm actually building two of them, and it's been a lot of fun so far. Mostly done, but I've been using a lot of parts from my collection, and I need to order a few more to finish up.

Anyway, I knew that this was a display model going into it, so I've been pretty easy going when it comes to durability. The only thing that's really bugged me so far were the assembles added on pages 92 and 123, as they fell off when I tried to attach the shroud. I thought there had to be some way to lock them into place with more than one stud, so I added what's shown below (i.e., two of the new 1x1 lbg brackets, plus a 1x1 lbg plate):

3caqOFp.jpg

Back to this, I've reworked many things to use newly released/upcoming parts, I simplified the back a little and it now leaves room to strenghten that thing. I've used a different method (icecream cone), I don't know which one is sturdier. (removed pic to make room)

Lego's upcoming AT-AT is gonna bring us useful parts, like the new pointy wedge plate in LBG, it'll remove 2 studs from the side plates. And the recent 4x4 dish with hollow stud, now in LBG as well. Because Scala dishes just can't be found in LBG anymore, and because classic dishes have a better shape anyway, they're gonna look smaller but better.

Edited by anothergol

Beautiful work, I really need one of these

How stable are the legs on it?