anothergol

[MOC] Another AT-ST version 4.5

Hi, I joined this forum because this looks fantastic, and I want to build it. But I cant figure out how to open that lxf file you linked in the browser, anyone here can help me, or link me a guide?

Install Lego Digital Designer.

The stand from the last pic is really cool, and I want to build it as well. How did you build it?

The stand from the last pic is really cool, and I want to build it as well. How did you build it?

The icy Hoth one? I don't have the LXF for it available, but it's better that you present it your own way, IMHO. Maybe some Endor base.

This is great :laugh: ! My favourite feature is the feet! Great use of the ball joints, I haven't thought of using them like that before. I love the little diorama that goes with it too! Amazing detailing, best version I have seen yet! :thumbup:

Hello I'd like to bricklink your AT-ST could you please tell me does the LXF file have all the parts? I had to change some colours when exporting to brickling and a few parts seem quite rare and wanted to be sure I wouldn't need to paint or modify anything. Thank you for sharing your creation and letting people build it!

Hi,

While the V1 model had one very rare part (trapzeoid flag in LBG), this one has none. The LXF is missing a 4mm tube, 7L (buy longer, cut it) (meaning: the tube on the roof is only a placeholder), in LBG, also possibly some printed console parts for the interior.

You will also notice some parts in green, that's a bracket that wasn't available in the LDD yet (now it is), and should be DBG.

Also quite possibly there are parts in the LXF that are rare in their part # but exist as another #.

Yeah, quite some work to properly publish this, that's why I haven't done a Rebrickable entry for this one yet (possibly in the future, when 2x2 wedges will be available in LBG and I'll be able to enhance the model).

There are also round tiles in DBG at the back of the legs, they don't exist, they should be dark metallic parts printed with a gauge (or whatever part you want). But you can inspect all this on my final photo's.

Edited by anothergol

Thank you for clarifying! I was actually wondering about the hose on the top and thought the green parts were just parts, which aren't visible so the colour didn't matter.

Could you please tell me if the part over the vents in the back is this one? I've managed to replace some of the parts with similar molds, which are more common, but this one seems to be unique and quite rare.

Could you please tell me if the part over the vents in the back is this one? I've managed to replace some of the parts with similar molds, which are more common, but this one seems to be unique and quite rare.

The vents on the "head"? Yes, that is the part. And yes, it does seem to be quite rare- they only appeared in LBG in one set in 2005. And the piece only appeared once in that set. That is a picture-perfect definition of rare! I've got what feels like thousands of that piece in black and lime- I'd kill for a couple in LBG.

Edited by Junior Shark

I happened to have 2 of them (bought in past BL orders), so I didn't have to hunt for them. Yeah it's not common, but still much much less rare than the LBG trapezoïd flags (which have.. never been officially released) that the version 1 was using.

You can of course improvise your own thing back there, I picked that part because it looked cool, but it doesn't look like the flat boring rectangles on the back of the AT-ST.

The other rare-enough part there are the printed vents (NOT the printed ones in the LDD), but those are more important because they have the correct print, they were made for Lego's own AT-STs, and they exist in old & new grey, but are starting to get expensive on BL.

Edited by anothergol

Excellent model. I particularly admire details of legs.

It will make updating my own AT-ST's - quite a bit obsolete by today's building standards - much more difficult, since I'm trying to avoid any influences, even (or: especially) from the greatest designs, like yours. :)

Started gathering parts based on the LDD file for this beautiful piece of art!

Got almost ~350 parts in the correct colors from my brickpile.

But never the less this will get tricky as some parts looks very rare and a few also expensive to me.

Not sure about the display vignette, maybe Endor or a Imperial construction facility?

Interestingly, one part that's getting rare, but not expensive at all, is the DBG 44674. I love them & I buy them when I can, but stores rarely have more than 1.

However there's a TON out there with prints, as 44674pb02.

So if anyone knows how to remove prints from parts while preserving the part's shine (thus probably excluding brasso?), all those printed ones could be recycled.

Edit: after browsing dozens of tutorials on the usual Brasso, I found out about using eucalyptus oil. Just tried it, it does seem to work, even thought the part seems to lose a bit of its shine, possibly there's some melting going on.

Edited by anothergol

I received the last few parts I needed a few days ago, but have built only the legs, due to lack of time. The only parts I chose not to order were the LBG Paint rollers because they are just too expensive. I'll get them when they appear in a new set and the price drops. I very much enjoyed building it so far and was impressed by the way you've designed the feet. I hope to be able to finish it tonight.

Thank you again for posting the instructions!

Yeah, paint rollers, one of the most useful parts. I bought many of them when I could.

Don't expect Lego to still make them in LBG, they're only in black now. But at least they acknowledged it was a useful "part" (well, accessory, as usual) & reused it.

So tempted to build this. I have the UCS AT-AT, but my kids would love something that is a bit more playable. How solid is this design (would it survive kids)?

Can anybody who has built this provide an idea of the cost/budget?

(would it survive kids)?

not -at all-

...but Lego is rumored to have an upcoming AT-ST. Will probably be ugly but sturdy. (well I didn't find the AT-DP that ugly, but the legs were thick lumps with zero posability)