Saga of the Sea Rats, Volume 1: Piraat Rhys in Bastion

Previous: No one expects the Olean Inquisition...

Next: Far Horizons Salvage and Shipworks

|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|~+=@&@=+~|

Log Entry

Day 166

Port of Bastion

License type: Factory (small)

Capt. Rhys Flaidd DeTaillefer

There was quite a stir of excitement at the pier today. A

piece of equipment was being unloaded from the ship that arrived yesterday morning...

24137820994_9c5cb03fe7_c.jpg

Strange Freight.... on Flickr

It belonged to one Pavel Galerkin, who has been moving in down the way...he gave me a quick tour of his shop...

24139136753_312d0a31cf_c.jpg

The Bastion Otchet on Flickr

The device enables him to fashion regular print to paper...and in great quantity...all nearly identical!

24470455660_be23a4dabf_c.jpg

бастион отчет - Pavel Galerkin inspects a proof on Flickr

He calls it "The Bastion Otchet" and it is to be some sort of regular account of the comings and goings of our bustling community.

24739756566_6a89bb8f0c_c.jpg

бастион отчет - Galerkin Printing Press gears on Flickr

While that sounded grand and quite practical....I could only bask in the realization that we could use this monstrosity to make dependable maps and ship plans....

24765975295_0efc72facf_c.jpg

Galerkin Printing Press - at work on Flickr

Additional Images:

24648173302_983f0728b9_c.jpg

Galerkin Printing Press - gear detailon Flickr

24137821174_bdd8cc6ecc_c.jpg

Galerkin Printing Press - crank detail on Flickr

By popular request: 2 "overview shots":

24765975485_008d85545a_c.jpg

бастион отчет - Front view on Flickr

24139138233_1f478d7fd9_c.jpg

бастион отчет - Top view on Flickr

======================================

Thanks for visiting!

Edited by Vedauwoo

Great !

Now do Pirates know how to read ? pirate_tong.gif

I find the idea very good and the machinery is quite good. But a bit too modern perhaps for the time, I find it too 18-19th century.

Very nice press! The barrels scattered around the room add a nice bit of realism! :thumbup:

....But a bit too modern perhaps for the time, I find it too 18-19th century.

I was concerned about being in the right time frame....and I think it is, as the first newspaper came about in 1605.

Mine is based loosely on the following image of a press for the "Publick Occurances" newspaper that was shut down by the British in 1690:

printing-press1.jpg

This machine is right up there with Sir Stig's loom as a prime example of Lego-fying machinery of the age of sail/enlightenment! And both had profound effects on the societies in which they were introduced.

Apart from the machine, your interior is really nice too, as is the exterior. My only gripe is the lack of an overview picture of the exterior! pirate_blush.gif

I really like how it is being brought in on a pallet, too - helps tell the story of a new world settlement being built from the ground up!

If you need approval, you have mine!

Very good build once again. I like the openess of the building with the big arches all around. It allows good access and looks great besides, even if it doesn't quite look fitting for a town layout. The smooth tiled look is nice and you have just enough interior details to look busy without being cluttered.

The printing press is brilliant. :pir-wub: It may appear too modern to some but this isn't strictly about realism, and I think it looks old enough of a design to fit the approximate time.

The first pic showing its delivery is a good idea, but my favorite of the bunch is the second, showing the complete setting. But I echo the prior thought that a little better overall view of the whole build would be a welcome addition.

Excellent work. :classic:

@Faladrin - of course pirates can read: "Look, Dick. Look. See Spot run. Run, Spot, run." :laugh:

@Bregir - no need for approvals yet my friend. This is just FB1 for February. :wink:

I am impressed of the printing press and the whole atmosphere of the room! It feels so real. What may look a tad modern is the minifig torso which looks like 1850s. Apart from that i find your MOC fascinating! Good reading people!

My only gripe is the lack of an overview picture of the exterior! pirate_blush.gif

But I echo the prior thought that a little better overall view of the whole build would be a welcome addition.

About the build.....as these "businesses" seem to be licensed in stages of size....I have opened each with a small 16x16 (ish) build....this one is intended to represent the room in a larger building that will be revealed later as the business moves up through the size-specific license stages....

In the background, actually, is the "glassblower's shop," now with all exterior walls, and entrance and roof.....part of an upcoming "Port of Bastion" build.

Very nice printing press and printer's shop Ved! So pirates are the ones who invented the news! pirate_tong.gifpir_laugh2.gif

Nice press. This seems more like something Corrington would have. I guess it would be good for printing leaflets to inform local residences to surrender before we plunder their village. pirate_classic.gif

That printing press is brilliant!! Great interior as well - well done on such a superb MOC!!

Fantastic job on that press, I like it a lot!!! Nice reference pic also to back up the validity of your press. As soon as I saw the first shot with the 'equipment' sitting outside, I knew what it was. I might need to borrow this at some point, it's just that good.

Oh, it’s a propaganda machine… pirate_wink.gif

Love it! The pearl technic connectors really sell it. The shininess and hints of black look like ink residue.