kobalt

A Minifig to Represent Each Country? Help!

Hello friends!

This is my first post - and its sort of a 'help needed' one. I'm a long term traveller - been on the road now for 5 years - and over that time I've been wanting to find a decent way to 'remember' my travels (aside from souvenirs, photos and whatnot). I've been an avid Lego fan since before I can remember, and as such really wanted to combine the two.

My thought is to have a minifig to represent each country I've been to. I've got a few so far eg. Leprechaun to represent Ireland, Lederhosen guy for Germany, Roman Centurion for Italy etc. But, I'm stuck for a lot of them!

This is where I'm asking the community for creative help - if you could create a figure to represent each country in Europe, what would it be?

I wish there was a Pope figure (Vatican) or an Greek Guard in traditional costume....

I'd like to keep them from official Lego stock without customising it. I've seen some websites that'll make customisable figures, but my budget won't allow that sort of money.

I think a lot of collectible minifigures could have parts needed to make figures based on certain countries. But some figures (like the Pope) are probably unlikely to see Lego form due to their rule to avoid religious statements.

A few country themed minifigures that come to mind:

U.S.- Western themed sets; some modular building like the Detective's Office and the Firehouse.

Mexico- Collectible Minifigure Mariachi Performer

France- Parisian Restaurant Modular Building

UK- Olympics Collectible Minifigures

Germany- Upcoming Soccer Minifigures

Japan- Classic Ninja Castle Theme

I feel a lot of countries (such as those in South America) are underrepresented in Lego (Although we do have a guy in a tribal mask from Peru in an Indianna Jones set from Crystal Skull).

You could visit the tourist gift or souvenier shops in the country you're visiting to get some ideas. They usually have post cards, pictures, figurines of people in the local attrire or characters that represents the country. You could base your minifigs off them.

England - CMF royal guard with bear hat or constable

France - CMF painter or mime

Scotland - CMF bag piper

Thanks! I already have some of these... was looking for some of the less obvious places.

Here's what I have so far:

1) Australia - Surfer Guy

2) Indonesia - Island Warrior

3) Greece - Spartan

4) Japan - Samurai

5) USA - Liberty

6) Canada - Lumberjack OR Hockey Player (undecided yet)

7) NZ - Mountain Climber

8) Bulgaria - Gypsy Forutne Teller

9) Spain - Flamenco Dancer (is there a bullfighter figure?)

10) Italy - Roman Centurion (wish there was an Ancient Rome theme - that would totally ROCK!)

11) Austria - Skier

12) Sweden - Viking

13) Germany - Lederhosen Guy

14) France - Mime (why? Why was it the Mime that first comes to mind for France??)

15) UK - Royal Guard

16) Ireland - Leprechaun

So, 16 out of 41.

Here's what I don't have!

17) Belgium

18) Netherlands

19) Denmark - mean c'mon! This one should be easy!!

20) Poland

21) Hungary

22) Luxembourg

23) Liechtenstein

24) Slovakia

25) Serbia

26) Croatia

27) Bosnia & Herzegovina

28) Albania

29) Montenegro

30) Turkey

31) Iceland

32) Malaysia

33) Singapore

34) Czech Republic

35) Switzerland

36) United Arab Emirates

37) South Korea

38) Monaco

39) Vatican

40) Slovenia

41) San Marino

I'm thinking I could also 'make up' figures from various parts. Perhaps for example an 1980's Red Cross torso for the Swiss guy, or something like a F1 Race driver for San Marino... Totally lost for the others though!

Its only going to get harder as i move on from Europe...

Edited by kobalt

Canada - Lumberjack, eh (although I'm not Canadian)

Mexico - Taco Tuesday Guy (although I have never seen anyone dressed like this in Mexico in over 12+ trips, so a Rancheros/Nortenga-type cowboy may be more appropriate)

Some of those are tough - my one trip through Luxembourg, really didn't see anything that wouldn't also fit into Germany or Belgium

If I were tackling this project, I'd do a google image search for the country name and then try to find a minifig torso that fit. From there I'd look for hats/hair that fit the feel. There are a lot of things you can do when you consider starting with one part instead of trying to find a complete figure that fits your need.

Haha. A lumberjack. Very funny. :sarcasm_smug:

Honestly, I'd love to see an RCMP officer, or a "mountie" as some of you foreigners to Canada might know them as. A lacrosse player would be more appropriate than a hockey player for Canada, due to lacrosse being our country's national sport, despite popular belief.

The mountie wouldn't be too hard to Bricklink for parts. The lacrosse player, though...

Edited by Kintobor

LEGO House minifig for Denmark?

Ooh, good one - I was going to recommend a LEGO employee minifig for Denmark. There's also Maersk, the BR (Danish toy chain) promotional figure, or even some of the Disney Princess figures since some of the movies are loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen stories. I personally would have used the Mountain Climber for Switzerland, and a Lord of the Rings figure for New Zealand.

Some of these are really tough.

Maybe you could expand the scope a little and have a mini-vignette for each. It'd allow some mood, detail and accuracy, for example a surfer doesn't really scream 'Australia' to me; I'd go with something like this

24137091334_4e56574d90_c.jpg

Maybe you could expand the scope a little and have a mini-vignette for each. It'd allow some mood, detail and accuracy, for example a surfer doesn't really scream 'Australia' to me; I'd go with something like this

That made my night! :laugh:

Some countries just don't have a trademark stereotype, or none that are known well enough to be widely recognised. I couldn't tell you what Croatia is famous for. We like to think Tesla was our man, Serbia likes to think he's theirs, and i think he'd tell us both to piss off if he was alive.

There's a minifig in the winter village market set with a berrette and red bandana that looks very french, especially if you give him a baguette and wine bottle.

Edited by Sven F

I haven't seen those visorahk in years ;) Big spiders.

6) Canada - Lumberjack OR Hockey Player (undecided yet)

Canada - Lumberjack, eh (although I'm not Canadian)

I'm Canadian and I'd choose the lumberjack. Or rather I'd take the axe away and give him a coffee cup and a laptop and make him look more like the hipsters I see downtown. ;)

Most of my interaction with Canadians is either in the mining or oil industries, so a roughneck would be good as well - not sure if there is a corresponding minifig though.

Vikings can represent several Nordic countries, not just Sweden, but also Denmark, Norway and Iceland (the sagas are from Iceland). But the Little Mermaid is Danish.

Belgium- Emmett with Waffle from the Double Decker Couch set?

Maybe? Belgian Waffles?

If you're going to associate Belgium with a food stereotype, beer would be the better choice.

Or the incorrectly named French fries... they're Belgian!

To quote wikipedia:

What is known in North America as the "Belgian waffle" does not exist in Belgium. No single type of waffle is identified as a

"Belgian waffle" within Belgium itself, where there are a number of different varieties, including the Brussels waffle and the Liège waffle.

Another Belgian 'stereotype' is available the Lego catalogue: the saxophone player from the CMF series.

The sax was invented in Belgium by Adolphe Sax in 1840.

Edited by Humdrum

Belgium has lots of different waffles? America only has two: Crappy and Not-As-Crappy.

I need to visit Belgium now! I love waffles!

Humdrum, can I stay at your place for a waffle tour? :grin:

Edited by Actor Builder