Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

[OL - FB1] Small Oleander House

Gideon Saulse de Bothnia has bought a small dwelling in Breshaun on LeBellan to serve as his initial base for his venture into New Terra. He is proudly displaying the crest of his family on the house, which however seems to be in need of some repairs.

(OoC: This build started out as an attempt to build half-stud offset cracked whitewashed walls plus as a test of a dark orange-medium dark flesh roofing technique.

I will license this as a small residence as soon as I get the hang of the EGS rules)

24576830982_15a2514d05_c.jpg

24399070890_2e316a5172_c.jpg

Great house !

The roof is superb !

And your wall texturing is great too ! I love those dark red apparent bricks ! (I surely "borrow" you the idea...)

Great job !

Love that roof! The inset dark red is really good too and splendid use of a frog for the door handle!

I have to say that both your attempts turned out superb!

But those vines and the froggy door are almost even more amazing.

I personally think that's the best-built house we have seen so far.

The decay is beautiful. If you have a wife, she would surely be sold on this idyllic opportunity. The roof and the offset works well. The whole house in general. I can't see anything to improve. Mission accomplished. :thumbup:

I do believe the others have said it before me, but I will echo them: Great work! pirate_blush.gif

The roof looks very realistic, and the amount of details are perfect. I really like the half-stud offset texturing of the wall, although I can imagine that it gives some structural challenges! pirate_blush.gif

My only suggestion for improvement would be to add a street out front, with some activity, as it is currently a very inactive scene.

As for licensing it, you should be able to do that presently, as you can license one small property for free. pirate_blush.gif

As for licensing it, you should be able to do that presently, as you can license one small property for free. pirate_blush.gif

Yeah, but you can save yourself 20db if you use your free licence for anything else than a residential property (worth 25db), and instead pay the 5db it cost for the residence.

Don't fall for it, licensing a residence for free is Ska's noobtrap. :-D

License for small residence: 5 DB. License for all other small properties: 25 DB. Sure not worth it.

Great house !

The roof is superb !

And your wall texturing is great too ! I love those dark red apparent bricks ! (I surely "borrow" you the idea...)

Great job !

Thanks! Surely feel free to borrow the idea, since it's probably not mine to start with :wink:

Love that roof! The inset dark red is really good too and splendid use of a frog for the door handle!

I have to say that both your attempts turned out superb!

But those vines and the froggy door are almost even more amazing.

I personally think that's the best-built house we have seen so far.

Thanks! Nice to hear that you noticed the frog :classic:

The decay is beautiful. If you have a wife, she would surely be sold on this idyllic opportunity. The roof and the offset works well. The whole house in general. I can't see anything to improve. Mission accomplished. :thumbup:

Thanks! My wife definitely liked it, much better than the gruesome GoH builds I've mostly produced lately...

In character: Gideon is still reluctant to marry, but if a suitable bride with a sizeable dowry would present herself he might reconsider :wink:

I do believe the others have said it before me, but I will echo them: Great work! pirate_blush.gif

The roof looks very realistic, and the amount of details are perfect. I really like the half-stud offset texturing of the wall, although I can imagine that it gives some structural challenges! pirate_blush.gif

My only suggestion for improvement would be to add a street out front, with some activity, as it is currently a very inactive scene.

Thank you! I had planned a street in front (the shape of the house was actually made for a 16x16 base including a small street) but ran out of time before I was going to photograph it, since it was originally planned to be FB2 for January (before I knew I could use my character intro topic).

The half-stud offset wall is actually fairly sturdy as long as enough jumper plates are used, but it surely consumes a lot of white plates...I need to BL a few hundred of those before I attempt any larger Oleander building. Dark red 1x2 and masonry bricks are incoming in "enough quantities" whenever the LUGBULK arrives, hopefully before November this year...

I definitely have some polishing to do on that technique, particularly using more 1x1 and 2x2 round plates to make the edges of the damages more jagged.

Yeah, but you can save yourself 20db if you use your free licence for anything else than a residential property (worth 25db), and instead pay the 5db it cost for the residence.

Don't fall for it, licensing a residence for free is Ska's noobtrap. :-D

License for small residence: 5 DB. License for all other small properties: 25 DB. Sure not worth it.

Thanks! And thank you for making me avoid a mistake I wasn't even aware of that I could do, I had calculated on buying this for 5 db :clasisc:

But now I know I should aim for coming up with some kind of 25 db build to license as my FB2 (or more likely March FB1...)

That's really great all-around. The wall technique came out beautifully... now if you can just get it to 1/3 or 1/4 offset... pir_laugh2.gif

As others have noted, NPU on the frog, and the roof is also lovely. Great work! pirate_satisfied.gif

That's really great all-around. The wall technique came out beautifully... now if you can just get it to 1/3 or 1/4 offset... pir_laugh2.gif

As others have noted, NPU on the frog, and the roof is also lovely. Great work! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks!

If you look closely you can see that I've made some other offsets as well (using 1x2 tiles) :wink:

Door looks great, roof has a nice colour combo, the wear on the wall is well balanced and the blue drapes give a nice change of colour.

Gorgeous little house!

Oh wow, I love this house! I really like what you've been able to do with relatively basic bricks. I especially like the little touch with the 2x2 round bricks - I would not have thought of that. Whenever it takes a few moments to figure out what you've done and how you've created the illusion of broken plaster over bricks, mission accomplished!

Great MOC, I love it! The offsetting of the red brick-bricks is genius! :thumbup: . The photography is very good as well, I had to look at least three times to make sure I wasn't looking at a render :tongue: . Stunning work on such a "small" MOC.

Everything is stunningly beautiful and astonishingly implemented! How can you not take pride of Oleon when even mere houses are a sight to behold! I am glad we have you on board Gid!

Beautiful house! :pir-wub: I always like white dwellings, the dark red half-stud offset accent is lovely (and a mouthful! :grin:) and the roof is fantastic. The climbing plants are quite nice as well. The door and awning look great and I see you used the shield/crest as you mentioned previously. Excellent work. :classic:

Door looks great, roof has a nice colour combo, the wear on the wall is well balanced and the blue drapes give a nice change of colour.

Gorgeous little house!

Oh wow, I love this house! I really like what you've been able to do with relatively basic bricks. I especially like the little touch with the 2x2 round bricks - I would not have thought of that. Whenever it takes a few moments to figure out what you've done and how you've created the illusion of broken plaster over bricks, mission accomplished!

Lovely colors! Would be a charming place to live. :thumbup:

These walls are just amazing! :thumbup:

Great MOC, I love it! The offsetting of the red brick-bricks is genius! :thumbup: . The photography is very good as well, I had to look at least three times to make sure I wasn't looking at a render :tongue: . Stunning work on such a "small" MOC.

Everything is stunningly beautiful and astonishingly implemented! How can you not take pride of Oleon when even mere houses are a sight to behold! I am glad we have you on board Gid!

Beautiful house! :pir-wub: I always like white dwellings, the dark red half-stud offset accent is lovely (and a mouthful! :grin:) and the roof is fantastic. The climbing plants are quite nice as well. The door and awning look great and I see you used the shield/crest as you mentioned previously. Excellent work. :classic:

Goodwork mixing up the white wash and red brick!

Thank you!

I forgot to add this picture to the first post, I took it to show the photo setup I used for this build (and all others in the same session). The grey card on the side is not in the final picture, but I took a separate picture of that to be able to calibrate the white balance.

24490322252_fb98edcfea_c.jpg

Edited by Gideon

Gorgeous house !

That wall tehcnique of yours is awesome and looks even more awesome !

Your roof is lovely as well, and the vegetation works so well for it too.

Very enjoyable MOC indeed ! :thumbup:

default_drool.gif Beautiful build Gideon, fantastic job on the dark red inset sections, and the roof is just superb as well! Excellent door (great use of that frog! pirate_laugh_new.gif) too, and I really like the lantern there even though it isn't some new unheard off technique - still, those simple things can often really sell the build (and they do here! - though that's not to say it would completely ruin the build just to take that lantern away pir_laugh2.gif)!

Hey! Just saw this was features on Brothers Brick! Great job!

Thanks!

Good to know that it's not only 100+ build hours epic builds which get featured there :wink: