JamesJT

[WIP] Lancia Stratos 1:8 Scale

I was inspired by 42056 to build something big. It has full suspension and steering but I wanted to get the shape right before building the V6, gearbox, seats etc.

The headlight do pop up and the door just clip off for now.

24655355131_2bea449f25.jpg

I am very happy with the profile but it looks more GT40 than Stratos from anyother angle. The overlay from above shows it is 2 studs too narrow so its all coming apart.

I have ordered yellow wheels from 42030. The spoiler is already the same width as 42056.

RIP V1

24121760653_b5fc0d5210.jpg

24121774413_4c08029304.jpg

Wow, would you look at those sweet lines! The sideways tilted arches really look awesome! When I get those parts I cat wait to steal your idea :devil:

Cant wait for you fill up the shell with all the bits.

I ordered the wheels on Saturday morning and they arrived just now. Thank you Bricklink's MadaboutBricks.

24457232900_3aaf021c59.jpg

Looking good! The angled panels are great indeed.

The sides do look a little straight, How is that on the real car? Do they curve in and outwards?

There is a curve in the sides but it is hard to see from the photos I took.

24127569364_675b6aaf1f.jpg

At first glance the Stratos looks like it was designed with all straight lines (which is why I chose this as a MOC TBH) but it is curvy where I expect it to be straight and vica versa.

24388093569_b8736e8718_c.jpgstratos scale 10 by James Tillson, on Flickr

Masterpiece? Oh no, if you guys could see how it is cobbled together or what shape it turns when I pick it up... It will take alot of work to make it a masterpice and TBH I will probably end up pinching parts for other MOCs long before it is finished.

I have many [WIP] topics and not many [MOC] ones.

...where did you get those blueprints for the car?

google "dimensions {insert car name here}" and then click "images".

It is actually a 1:8 Scale so I've asked Jim to change the title

Looks great. An awesome car to choose but the front windscreen line is slightly odd (because its rounded glass in the real car) so it makes the car look less aerodynamic. Apart from that a great model of a classic.

aaaa Stratos , the best sounding rally car ever ! Keep it going the build. Only thing that looks not nice is the front, as in real Lancia it looks wider then back but I know that it could be hard to achieve

I learned today that even a lego car gets lower when you add weight (bodywork in this case), I guess everybody knew that already.

The whole front subframe needs to moved the bring the nose back to where it should be.

24999821906_ab31ed12b3_z.jpg

24999791046_5804c2b5d6_z.jpg

24908101202_af711ab28d_z.jpg

Edited by JamesJT

Nice rallye car! You have copied the original "ugliness" spot on so it´s becoming really beautiful! The similarity is growing and I like the well worked bodywork already. Would be great if the front lights would open by function. And of course you should add some springs to the suspension, maybe use the big yellow shocks (?), it´s a big car :wink: !

Very Nice, perfect how the panels are filling up the contours. The only thing that i don't like are the green front fenders, i know that they are not available in white but maybe you can Try something else. Are you going to make stickers for it? That would finish of the outside beautifully. One day i want to do a Stratos as Well, you gave me Very good ideas, thanks.

I looked at you Flickr page and there are a lot of realy Nice cars on there, and an amazing spaceshuttle. The Lancia Stratos is going to be a masterpiece again i am for sure.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I really am enjoying this build.

I have got the front looking something like it should, maybe a bit too pointy. There is still room for pop up lights.

24871252210_f3f97b9041_z.jpg

The rear scales perfectly from the blue print but looks too wide and square.

25140543626_0b321b9abc_z.jpg

25166870105_b4754ed97e_z.jpg

Edited by JamesJT

This looks great, particularly at the back - I don't think it looks too wide at all. The curved 3x11 panels with a soft axle in between is a great idea for keeping the curve in the front wheel arches too.

I'm very much looking forward to a video if you get time and once the Stratos is finished; just as long as you

:wink:

bodywork is finished. Time to take it all off and sort out the engine, gearbox and connect the steering to HOG.

25260847130_92fc629ab5.jpg

25463745221_a48ffb65fc.jpg

25437942002_6c0ae36bf7.jpg

Link to flickr video of pop up lights.

25534166682_f769003e65.jpg

Edited by JamesJT

Engine, gearbox, steering and pop up lights are all done and I'm very happy with the shape.

25551368472_775ba6e2e4.jpg

I just need to sort out a few details like;

Which looks best25560209002_d18c66f6bf_n.jpg OR 25678955985_b7d0ecfab5_n.jpg?

...I know. I spent over a month engineering this now I can't decide what colour it should be.

I'd say just a month!

If you ask me - 2nd option looks best with red panels :wink: