samiam391

[MOC] WIP ~20,000 piece Battle at Helm's Deep

LEGO Helm's Deep Project.

Work in progress... I'm currently 10,000+ pieces in, with another 5,000-10,000 to go. I have approximately 500 more figures (400 Uruk-Hai and 100 Rohan) to add to the diorama upon its completion. I'm quickly realizing that I'll need to purchase another table if I plan to display this all in one piece ;)

I wanted to update people on my progress thus far, I hope that you enjoy it!

Credit to Brickstruct for instructions.

More pictures available on my flickr:

If you would like to receive updates on this project and others, please follow!

5jiuuginmvdg.jpg

jik2yq2cvn2m.jpg

This looks great!

I feel like the curved walls could be better though. As they are, they seem like larger versions of the ones in the set.

At this larger scale, I think they can be curved more naturally, without the blocky look.

Granted, I haven't seen the film in a few years, so perhaps it's completely accurate.

good build!

I'm building this myself and it's cool to see it with minifigs. I know there are no more instructions for the next sections (deeping wall, inner keep etc) yet. Do you plan on waiting for the next instructions from Brickstruct or will you do the rest yourself?

This MOC is so funny. I saw the castle first and tough ok nice castle but where he is planing to put 400 minifigs. Then I saw the second photo with army which take more space then the castle. Sorry but for me that's way overkill. It reminds me the World War Z. They can just keep walking and use their bodies as ladder to climb the castle walls. Also I think If there is a 400 people army walking they should have at least 1 war machine or at least a cart.

He meant it's overkill on such MOC. You have limited space and the Keep itself is also smaller.

Personally i like it.

It's a much better way to present your army then taking photos of figures on a raw baseplate.

Great looking Helms Deep and uruk army. Only one minor nit-pick: you should really swap out those 400 Halberds for long pikes as seen in the movie. It's a real shame TLG chose to include those Halberds in the uruk polybag set, because there's no way uruks would be carrying such an elaborate, ornate weapon. On the plus side - once you have added long pikes you can create interesting 'sea-of-pikes' effects by angling them differently across the army - drawing attention to certain areas of the battle by angling the pikes towards them.

Edited by Missing Brick

This MOC is so funny. I saw the castle first and tough ok nice castle but where he is planing to put 400 minifigs. Then I saw the second photo with army which take more space then the castle. Sorry but for me that's way overkill. It reminds me the World War Z. They can just keep walking and use their bodies as ladder to climb the castle walls. Also I think If there is a 400 people army walking they should have at least 1 war machine or at least a cart.

Sorry, that you don't appreciate it. It's not for everyone!

However, I would encourage you to re-watch LotR as another member suggested. The number I have on "display" is a lot less than what I really should have :)

In addition, I've mentioned this is a WIP. I merely set up everything in about 30 minutes to showcase what I've done so far. Upon completion of the model, there will be more space (I'm adding a second table), more figures, more castle... and more vehicles. That's why it's a WIP ;)

Thanks to everyone else for the kind comments! I appreciate it.

I'm building this myself and it's cool to see it with minifigs. I know there are no more instructions for the next sections (deeping wall, inner keep etc) yet. Do you plan on waiting for the next instructions from Brickstruct or will you do the rest yourself?

I haven't decided yet. I'm definitely considering adding my own stretch of wall. If not as a permanent piece, then as a place-holder.

Great work! I can not even imagine what it would be like to have that amazing and accurate Helms Deep and all of those figures. I can't wait until I can see the finished product. Good luck with the rest of the building!

It has been awhile since I've posted an update. While this is not an update to the build, I thought I would show my currently assembled Uruk Hai army. I'm at about 810 (there's approximately 760 pictured). I've got quite a few more in storage which I'll pull out to get to 1,000 for a 10:1 scale of Helm's Deep.

26lvzu0tbn8x.jpg

Edited by samiam391

Good lord that's an impressive Uruk hai army, as has been mentioned the only thing that could make it better would be the addition of long black pikes rather than the halberd. I use a black Spear attached to a black bar with a technic pin for my uruks. Gives length and accuracy to the pike.

Although that's a lot of pikes to produce for such a vast army.

Look forward to seeing this as it progresses.

I can only think of the finances required to get that many Uruks...I wanted to build up my army a bit, but at 7-10$ each, I decided against it.