cb4

[SR-FB] The Parakeet

Jan 31st, 615 AE

Parakeet, At Sea

Dear Brother,

Yesterday the Parakeet sprung a leak. We were obliged to beach her in a convenient, protected cove. With her hove down and the cargo landed, we were able to come at the hole and affect a temporary repair. We took the opportunity to careen her as we also found a fair amount of weed. I begin to understand why Old Bill was so willing to wager her in last month's game of piquet. She is very fast, but she is old, and frankly many of her planks need replacing. That said, once we've made a few improvements, I believe she will prove an ideal vessel for our new business.

Your Humble Servant,

Richard Walton, Esq

24449005190_2ddc411a7d_c.jpg

24626735652_e7db19a325_c.jpg

24117681683_7885c263ed_c.jpg

Here are a couple of extra pictures for anyone curious about her devilish construction. She is intended to be a two masted lugger.

The three masted lugger was the preferred rig of English Channel smugglers, but I thought that would be far too big for a Class 2F, so I went with a two-master.

24718333116_474a815027_c.jpg

24116368134_8b00aa118a_c.jpg

Edited by cb4

These are the ships we must see more often around here (at least in an archipelago more dense with islands) until the colonization of the new territory starts!

And as others said, it is an example of fine engineering and i am tempted to steal, ehm... borrow your hull design for my own sinister, ehm godly machinations. This, along with smart sails and superb rigging, is what makes her shine!

I believe this is the most beautifully crafted full depth hull I have ever seen. The combination of the slopes at the railing and the plates is a brilliant solution. pirate_blush.gif Showcasing her like this, hove down for repairs, is genious!

I think you may expect others to stealing (erhm, draw inspiration from, I mean pirate_laugh2.gif ) your technique!

The deck is nice too, and the rigging is brilliant. I think the choice of a two masted lugger for class 2F is brilliant, and I cant wait to see more from you!

Spectacular job on the hull - it looks about as perfectly formed as can be done in Lego. :pir-wub: The rigging is beautifully done as well and you've chosen a unique and memorable way to showcase your first build here.

But I do have one gripe: none of the pics shows her in her entirety, and the overall presentation suffers a little because of it.

Otherwise good work! :classic:

Very nice ship, great work with the SNOTted hull design! thumbup.gif

Amazingly breathtaking ship!!! Such a beauty and elegance!!!

Indexed by the way pir_laugh2.gif

That is a fantastically shaped ship. I'm going to have to study it closer. Very impressive. And the scene and story are the perfect way to show her off. Well done!

Thank you all for your feedback - positive, and especially negative! I do apologize for the photo setup - it is improvised and I need to come up with something better. My MOCing skills aren't that great in many areas - I know a fair amount about ships but not that much about MOCs!

Since there is some interest, and since I made the initial post in a huge hurry in order to make the Feb 1st deadline, I've decided to post a few more angles, as well as a partial breakdown to show how she's built.

First some stats - Parakeet is 41 studs at the waterline, and has a 13.5 stud maximum beam - so she's somewhere between the big and small prefabs in width.

Hopefully these pictures provide a better understanding of her actual shape.

24139645354_d63ca37023_c.jpg

24398395839_e52b618acc_c.jpg

24674308131_853be3df3b_c.jpg

24140955963_27606d169b_c.jpg

24648235312_951242953b_c.jpg

24140955143_12f3d6e048_c.jpg

And now... let's take her apart. First goes the rigging - I really hope I can untangle everything later :)

24674307401_f1864ae774_c.jpg

Then off comes the deck...

The hinges are set up in 3:4:5 triangles and attach the hull plating to the keel. The 5 sections with the hinges act as frames, while the plates that form the hull act as stringers. Together they make her very sturdy, even though in most places she is only one or two plates thick!

24139647784_02fcc1b461_c.jpg

24398391529_03f0d358b2_c.jpg

Now we can see what the fish see...

24400055769_3503b96e32_c.jpg

24741484596_585ede248b_c.jpg

As you can see, this technique mostly eats plates, and plates are relatively cheap and come in a wide variety of colours.

The Parakeet was built under (by my standards) intense time pressure (completed in two weeks real time, with maybe 16 hours of actual work). I'm really pleased she turned out reasonably well and more or less has the correct hull shape for a lugger of this size. I built her to the minimum size I thought reasonable to try to save parts, and I tried to make her construction as simple as possible (you may not believe this) in order to save sanity.

I have another ship which is under construction. When I'm done I will probably post her as a free build (hopefully this is legal within the game - she was started before BoBS came along, but she has never been completed).

I doubt I will ever be able to afford to license her, but maybe the Sea Rats might want her as a community vessel.

24674303851_faa4387976_c.jpg

Sorry to be tardy to the party. It seems I was busy shooting my mouth off elsewhere. You really should go check it out. Now it's clear you know what you've got and need no more smoke blown where the sun doesn't shine. You know how I feel about her, I'm sure, any way.

I can't help but feel that a little more could have been done to close up some of the gaps, with little extra effort. Perhaps a SNOT deck for instance. I don't know if I like the slopes at the rail. They do bring the bulwark to vertical before they terminate but something about them... 

I'm so glad you came along with this and even more so that your sharing tips about her construction. I've become something of a fan of luggers myself and am glad to see someone else messing around with them. Though I find the brick built sails clever for harbor gaskets, I wonder if she might make another appearance at some point with clothe/paper or even unfurled brick sails? 

Only 16 hours, huh? Wow!

Any way that's why I'm more of a whist man my self (not really).

P.S. It just struck me what ship that is in the last image. Someone in a position of authority tell me what I'd need to do to help license her in the game. It would give me great pleasure to see her "playing old harry" with shipping in the seas around Halos.

Edited by kurigan

Thanks for providing the extra pics. They're a good building reference which will surely be handy.

The WIP in the last photo is tantalizing! Of course it's legal to use in BoBS - you're a long way from being finished, and I believe you can post anything that was previously built as long as it wasn't publicized before BoBS started.

Well, the WIP was posted in a very incomplete state. I hope that's ok.

I don't think that will be a problem, really pirate_blush.gif

Excellent ship, very cool studs out hull technique, and the rigging and sails are great as well! Can't wait to see that other one finished pirate_classic.gifpirate_satisfied.gif

:thumbup:

You are a steely eyed missle man, sir! Excellent boat and presentation...très bein!

Edited by Vedauwoo

Ok, playing forum historian once again:

Though his approach was decidedly less precise and mathematical, a long time ago Frank Brick Wright took a crack at cb4s style. His final results were still pretty impressive but what is perhaps more important to the community is that he documented his efforts in great detail on his WIP threads. If you are endeavoring to adopt or just mess around with this technique you may find his efforts helpful.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74563

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81157

While I’m digging up the past here are cb4’s previous works in this style too, why not?

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50917&st=0

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=55172&st=25

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79732

Apologies if I’m out of line on any particular point.

CB4! welcome to bobs! :D

That is one nice looking ship you build in the time given. The technique you use allows for very true shapes, I really like that.

I'll start saving up some doubloons to aid in the license of the big one :D :P

Great to see you around

Bart