Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

[COR - FB 3] The Government House at Port Raleigh

Under the buzzer, this is my third free build, so please approve if you like it. I hope to get more pictures up with better light, but I wanted to get Port Raleigh founded this month!

616 AE – Lord Erie Flynn gazed out over the harbor and saw pure promise. Port Raleigh, secretly founded on the Island of Annetta a few months prior was starting to come alive. In the harbor the lighthouse was almost completed, the first permanent docks had been finished, and the first permanent houses had foundations laid. Up on the hill, his own house, and the seat of government, stood as a monument to Corrington ingenuity. The first three story building in the New World, it was blandly known as The Government House, although the workers of Port Raleigh now called it the Teal Bosshouse. The lower level served as the seat of government, the public notary, and the headquarters of the small platoon of marines Flynn had on hand. The upper level housed him, his wife, and his two children. His wife was ever so happy for this new adventure, and he was proud to give young Wellham a chance to shape a new world from a very young age.

24117799023_912c6e1cec_c.jpggomthbad by skaforhire, on Flickr

Flynn peared into his wine glass and thought about the recent past. The Eslandolans had publicly claimed the island, which they called Berelli, they even planted a city in the best harbors, called Elysabethtown. It was to Flynn’s surprise when his Royal Sloop, Vengeance, arrived off the mouth of what he had named Snake River, on his first voyage to Annetta, and found the fledgling town in operation under the MAESTRO Trade Company.

24116495564_b7341085c3_c.jpgDSC_2511 by skaforhire, on Flickr

[sorry poor focus on that one, but the closest I have to Flynn peering into his wine…]

24117794353_f5ebe81464_c.jpgrudemap by skaforhire, on Flickr

Lord Flynn, with a governor’s commission under his belt, sailed to another location he had found when he discovered Annetta, off the River Queens, on the Southeast end of the island. It did not have the natural harbor that the Snake River had, but it led deep into fertile planting lands. The first public work after the administration buildings would have to be a light house, as a reef right off the river was tricky to navigate – this of course would also add to the defense of the harbor. It was there on the south bank that he began surveying and laying out Port Raleigh, named after the Queen’s mother, Raleigh Anastaza Rose Mandaran.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Lady Kally Flynn handed an apple to Welham. He was growing so quickly now. They had been here only a few months, and he had already started practicing with a sword, learning the native tongue, and impressing his father with his knowledge of geography. Soon the boy would be joining the marines if he had his way, or if his father had his way.

24376998209_710c71f986_c.jpgLadyK by skaforhire, on Flickr

His sister Elma held her stuffed bear tightly. “mum, when is da going to take us to meet the chief?” Kally couldn’t shelter her daughter from the intrigues of the island either. She was becoming just as strong willed as her brother, and perhaps her education was coming along faster.

“I think your father will be negotiating with Chief Azuma by himself.” She put on her best face, she didn’t want the children to know that the Tenotclaxcans were already allied with the Eslandolans, and her husband was having trouble opening trade. The peace was tenuous at best. Last month the Native attacked a foraging party from Port Raleigh and killed three marines.

24116492324_6777f6aebe_c.jpgDSC_2513 by skaforhire, on Flickr

“Aww Shucks” Elma said as she began to play with her bear again. Kally kept her composure and strength even though the guard watching over them looked a little nervous. Kally knew it was only a matter of time before the tension hit a breaking point.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Sully Tanner parried Master Kenner’s swing. He smiled, he may have bested the old man for once!

24116478424_7ac9bb6f55_c.jpgSully Duels by skaforhire, on Flickr

Nope. The old man tapped him on the shoulder. “Your dead,” the bearded curmudgeon said succinctly.

Sully had bought a First Lieutenant commission a few years back, but the commission did not get assigned orders until just a few months ago, when Sully found himself ordered in charge of a platoon of Royal Marines aboard the HMS Vengeance. Their mission, to establish a port on a secret island, Lord Erie Flynn had discovered!

Now, a few months later, with the Vengeance returned to Corrington, Sully found himself in charge of the entire garrison of the new town. As it turned out, an officer was expected to be a gentlemen, and Lord Flynn had taken Sully under his wing – most likely to impress his uncle, Admiral Woodbrose – and was now schooling the young Tanner in the ways of courtliness. Sully had grown up far from the estate of his uncle, and had little training in these ways. Additionally, it turned out that a commander was supposed to be able to handle a sword, not just firearms – which Sully was an expert in. So now, Flynn’s boy’s tutor had taken on another pupil. Sadly, Master Kenner seemed to think Welhelm the much better swordsman – but Sully Tanner would eventually prove to be the equal of the old man… he just knew it.

As I said, this is my third freebuild for January. Please approve if you like it!

I am going to try and get a few more better shots up. As you can see it is mostly a front face of the building, because I don’t have enough teal to do the whole thing. (I disassembled a lot of Kaliphlin builds for this one!)

Wild color scheme!!! But the details are solid, the story is good...too bad you're having issues with the locals; figure they would want to trade with everyone? Even though it's a government building, it seems to be necessary.

I'll give you the approval!

Wow I love the colorscheme of that build, great overall atmosphere, especially those guys on the balcony add a great touch.

Usually I am the one to complain about too many colors, but they just work out perfectly here. Really, really nice! :thumbup:

Oh! Someone NEEDS a holy inquisition then?? Pff... Excellent multilayered MOC Ska! Great colors, great design and interesting stories are always welcome!! May you govern in peace (and in one piece)

+1 from the great nation of Oleon!

This colour is new to me, but I kinda like it! The awning and balcony are looking great, and it is great how you use the different level to tell all those different stories. You really introduce the characters well in a short time. pirate_satisfied.gif

Also, it is good to see Corrington established in the new world! Now I only hope we can hold on to this settlement, in the face of Eslandonians, Natives, and possibly other challenges! pirate_wink.gif

For the glory of the Queen!

Edit: One wonders if Oleon too will settle here? pirate_tong.gif

Edited by Bregir

Nice with some colors. Using that much of the space for the outside, makes it easier to see all the stuff going on. That way of building just the facade would enable me to add an extra street later on in my layout. :thumbup:

Wow ! So Corrington is ready to settle in Berelli ! (Try to pronounce it well : Berelli, not Ann... What was the name yet... Ah yes ! Berelli !) ;p

That's strange you have problems with our friends the Ténotclaxcans, do you want MAESTRO shows you how to NOT carry guns. ;p

Btw, thank you to make reference to my story in yours, that's great honour sir ! :)

More seriously, I have a secret purpose for those natives and an project is in development to be shown in few months, can I PM you in order to discuss of that ?

The build Is very good with all those colors! It has a real colonial feel ! I like it ! Of course I approve it

Lovely building Ska :pir-wub: - and I don't say that lightly. I've never liked Lego red and blue together, but this light blue (whatever it's officially called) looks great with red and white. The tall narrow design gives it a wonderful presence and the different elements like the balcony and red-framed bay windows look great together. The gold-colored path to the front speaks for Corrington's ambitions on the island, eh? You've represented the population well with your selection of minifigs, but I have to ask: is it just me, or is the woman in the purple dress Cher? :grin:

Good work. I approve. thumbup.gif

So our friendly neighbors are already settling in, eh? Seriously though, very nice build Ska, excellent work with that balcony, and the outside on the bottom floor is textured and finished off extremely well too thumbup.gifdefault_blink.gif

Thank you everyone!

I hope to get pictures in better light up, so the teal color is a little more evident.

You've represented the population well with your selection of minifigs, but I have to ask: is it just me, or is the woman in the purple dress Cher? :grin:

LOL. I don't know, but I suppose she could be!