Sign in to follow this  
durazno33

Mass Minifigure Collection - Display Frame

What is the best way to organize a large bucket full of minifigures?

I need a way to quickly be able to find them, see how many of each type I had, and keep them from losing their parts and pieces. I'd looked at many people's minifigure display projects using wooden frames, custom made Lego cases (often using baseplates glued to a wall mount), and even Lego's official display case. However, each of these required too much money, time, or space to fully display my 400+ collection of minifigures.

24744159805_9fc25bf3f6.jpg

After some experimentation, I put together my own display option which I hope will benefit other builders who can follow this model. Using 2 by X plates (2 x 6, 2 x 16, 2 x 8 etc) and double stacking them in an overlapping arrangement, I was able to build a light way minifigure display frame. I picked up a lot of the strings with bricks on the ends from the Kings Castle set from the last castle run.

24651519326_0b1de41269.jpg

It was a simple enough build I put together a wall of several frames and grouped my minifigures by theme. This made it very apparent (for planning purposes) how many of each theme I could muster to my castle armies or my pirate invasions.

24117287663_8c248a6439.jpg

These work fairly well but I have found a few problems:

• I quickly ran out of plates to make more and now I won't be building anything requiring lots more plates
  • For those people who are strictly into collecting, this isn't enclosed so the minifigures will get dusty over time
  • I have a bunch of mismatching frames (black, grey, and dark grey).

I have a couple more pictures here on my project page if you are interested. There I show how some of the minifigures with dresses or abnormal legs can also be displayed this way.

All that being said, what do you think? Any suggestions? Why would you build a few of these over the enclosed versions or would you?

I've used a similar technique with large grey baseplates and bricks as platforms and it's worked very well. It helps accommodate different leg designs, capes, armor, etc.

Your design also works well, though I wonder if it may be more expensive to use long plates over one baseplate.

Another way is to stand them on a baseplate. It all depends what storage / display space you have.

I've used a similar technique with large grey baseplates and bricks as platforms and it's worked very well. It helps accommodate different leg designs, capes, armor, etc.

Your design also works well, though I wonder if it may be more expensive to use long plates over one baseplate.

How much do long plates usually go for approx?

I have mine encased in a frame on baseplates / sloped bricks which hold 70+ (can't remember the exact quantity.. 72 maybe?) and I think each frame come to about £25/£26. bricks cost about £3.60, baseplate cost about £12/£13 and the frame £9.00 from IKEA. Might be more expensive but I prefer then behind glass to save them getting dusty etc and then they are all the same colour wise.

How much do long plates usually go for approx?

I have mine encased in a frame on baseplates / sloped bricks which hold 70+ (can't remember the exact quantity.. 72 maybe?) and I think each frame come to about £25/£26. bricks cost about £3.60, baseplate cost about £12/£13 and the frame £9.00 from IKEA. Might be more expensive but I prefer then behind glass to save them getting dusty etc and then they are all the same colour wise.

The baseplate way works fairly well but the baseplates are expensive and I'd rather use them for ... well baseplates. :) I've been able to pick up used long plates for fairly cheap so I prefer this way.

Another way is to stand them on a baseplate. It all depends what storage / display space you have.

I used to stand them on a baseplate but same problem as above plus I live in an apartment where space is veeeery limited. The wall space was fairly free so I gravitated to the frame option.

The 1x2 brick with side studs is what I've used to accommodate the odd minifigures. The medusa tail being the exception in my collection.

Another cheap alternative is hot gluing 2x2 (or longer) plates or bricks to a piece of wood (studs up when the board is flat) that you can hang on the wall. Then attach the legs by the holes in the back to the plates / bricks.

Another cheap alternative is hot gluing 2x2 (or longer) plates or bricks to a piece of wood (studs up when the board is flat) that you can hang on the wall. Then attach the legs by the holes in the back to the plates / bricks.

But then you're hot gluing 2x2 (or longer) plates or bricks to a piece of wood. I personally avoid glue and Legos. But you're right. That would work as a fairly cheap option.

Nice. Do you think it would work with 1-stud wide plates instead of 2-wide? I want to make a very minimalist shelf stand - where you hardly notice the stand - and all focus is on the figures. I was thinking of standing the figs on 2-wide plates but your design makes me think I should flip it 90 degrees and just attach the back of the legs to a 1-wide plate....